Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nohup - help!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers nohup - help! Post 302140117 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 10th of October 2007 10:49:56 PM
Old 10-10-2007
Code:
When code calls "istty(0)" it will find that user input is not from an interactive terminal, if you have not redirected stdin, it will read exactly zero bytes from stdin.

Does that mean if stdin is redirected to read from a file rather than its default input stream - interactive terminal, would stdin be still able to fetch bytes from the file ?

( assuming the binary is invoked along with ' nohup ' )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup

Hi, Using nohup it sends output automatically to $HOME/nohup.out - how do I direct this output to another named file instead, so I can run several scripts in the background at once, directing their outputs into individual log files? Cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: miwinter
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help on nohup

Hi I submitted a long running executable without using nohup. Now, is there any way I can assure to keep that process ON even if my session gets killed? Thanks Bobby (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbyjohnz
3 Replies

3. Solaris

NOHUP not working

Hello All, Here is a problem of NOHUP. I am trying to run a process which needs to be up and running even if the session is closed. I tried running it with "nohup", but starngely it is not working, when i exit from the session the process is also getting killed? plz help me in finding out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamasam
4 Replies

4. AIX

nohup.out

I have a program which writes to nohup.out ... over the time this nohup.out becomes a large file and i cannot read the contents of this file using a vi editor.... whe i do a vi nohup.out it gives an error insufficient memory.... do i need to clean this nohup.out periodically ( or compress it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with nohup

Hello I am running this script inst.sh #!/bin/ksh sqlplus -s username/password @temp.sql ----Here is my temp.sql set serveroutput on select instance_name from V$instance; exit When i run the script inst.sh on the command prompt...it runs fine...but when i run it using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: njafri
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When we need nohup

Hi, I've read the man page on nohup. But I still can't see what's the differences if we just send a process to background versus sending a nohup process to background. eg: myprocess & vs nohup myprocess & Without nohup, myprocess would still run uninterruptible at background... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ehchn1
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nohup

Hi, We are trying to run a shell script using nohup command. But this scripts asks for user input (username and password). Once we enter credentials it should continue run in background. Can someone please suggest how can we implement this? we can't modify .sh file since they are provided by... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blak
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup

Hi Every one , i wrote a script for nohpu ,which checks the service by using the port number and starts if it doesnt hear the port. It works good untill i colse the session. how to make it work even after closing the session .And aslo how to deamoize this script #!/bin/bash netstat -ptlen |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving nohup output to a file other than nohup.out

Shell : bash OS : Oracle Linux 6.4 I want to save the ouput of a nohup command to file other than nohup.out . Below are my 3 attempts. For both Attempt1 and Attempt2 , the redirection logs the output correctly to the output file. But I get the error "ignoring input and redirecting stderr to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with nohup

I have a script test1.ksh (Korn shell) and within that I am calling another script test2.ksh test2.ksh runs for a pretty long time and hence wanted to execute as nohup from within test1.ksh nohup ./test2.ksh Question 1) dont think the above is working , although executing the nohup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alldbest
1 Replies
STDIN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  STDIN(3)

NAME
stdin, stdout, stderr -- standard I/O streams SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> extern FILE *stdin; extern FILE *stdout; extern FILE *stderr; DESCRIPTION
Under normal circumstances every Unix program has three streams opened for it when it starts up, one for input, one for output, and one for printing diagnostic or error messages. These are typically attached to the user's terminal (see tty(4)) but might instead refer to files or other devices, depending on what the parent process chose to set up. (See also the ``Redirection'' section of sh(1) .) The input stream is referred to as ``standard input''; the output stream is referred to as ``standard output''; and the error stream is referred to as ``standard error''. These terms are abbreviated to form the symbols used to refer to these files, namely stdin, stdout, and stderr. Each of these symbols is a stdio(3) macro of type pointer to FILE, and can be used with functions like fprintf(3) or fread(3). Since FILEs are a buffering wrapper around Unix file descriptors, the same underlying files may also be accessed using the raw Unix file interface, that is, the functions like read(2) and lseek(2). The integer file descriptors associated with the streams stdin, stdout, and stderr are 0, 1, and 2, respectively. The preprocessor symbols STDIN_FILENO, STDOUT_FILENO, and STDERR_FILENO are defined with these values in <unistd.h>. Note that mixing use of FILEs and raw file descriptors can produce unexpected results and should generally be avoided. (For the masochistic among you: POSIX.1, section 8.2.3, describes in detail how this interaction is supposed to work.) A general rule is that file descriptors are handled in the kernel, while stdio is just a library. This means for example, that after an exec, the child inherits all open file descriptors, but all old streams have become inaccessible. Since the symbols stdin, stdout, and stderr are specified to be macros, assigning to them is non-portable. The standard streams can be made to refer to different files with help of the library function freopen(3), specially introduced to make it possible to reassign stdin, stdout, and stderr. The standard streams are closed by a call to exit(3) and by normal program termination. SEE ALSO
sh(1), csh(1), open(2), fopen(3), stdio(3) CONSIDERATIONS
The stream stderr is unbuffered. The stream stdout is line-buffered when it points to a terminal. Partial lines will not appear until fflush(3) or exit(3) is called, or a newline is printed. This can produce unexpected results, especially with debugging output. The buffer- ing mode of the standard streams (or any other stream) can be changed using the setbuf(3) or setvbuf(3) call. Note that in case stdin is associated with a terminal, there may also be input buffering in the terminal driver, entirely unrelated to stdio buffering. (Indeed, nor- mally terminal input is line buffered in the kernel.) This kernel input handling can be modified using calls like tcsetattr(3); see also stty(1), and termios(3). CONFORMING TO
The stdin, stdout, and stderr macros conform to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''), and this standard also stipulates that these three streams shall be open at program startup. Linux 2.0 March 24, 1998 Linux 2.0