Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The Ampersand
Top Forums Programming The Ampersand Post 302140080 by porter on Wednesday 10th of October 2007 04:04:06 PM
Old 10-10-2007
The shell will happily spawn your program in a parallel process when invoked with "&" and not wait for it until the shell command "wait" is executed.

However there are special things you may want to do if

(a) you want to continue in the background when the current terminal closes.

(b) always run in the background no matter how the user runs it.

The first can be achieved by either using "nohup" to launch the program, or secondly detach from the controlling terminal and ignore SIGHUP.

The second can be achieved by having "if (fork()) exit(0)" as your first executable line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ampersand

What is the & for in Unix?? say for example that you have a line in a shellscript that will startup a executable and you have the ampersand at the end of the line, what is it for?? any info you could spare would be much appreciated thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx - mail ti ids containing ampersand

Hi I am trying to send mail to an email id having ampersand in it. Like abc.&.xyz@abc.com But it is not being sent. I also tried prefixing backslash before and after ampersand Need Help:( (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: aniruddha.saha
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding ampersand (&) usage in the command

Please explain the usage of ampersand in the following command who & echo "Total number of users are `who|wc -l`" What I understand is that ampersand is used to run some process in the background. And, what I am expecting from this command is "Output of who should be displayed on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shan_u2005
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ampersand usage and Emacs

In the terminal, using the ampersand allows the process to run in the background--Emacs, for example. But is there a way to automatically open Emacs as a background process so I can still use the command line? Typing the ampersand is just annoying to me, and I keep forgetting; it's just too useful... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zucriy Amsuna
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with using lynx/wget/curl when a link has an ampersand

Hi, for my own interest I want to scrape a lot of data off the Maple Story game rankings page. The problem is, when I want to get the data at this page maplestory(dot)nexon(dot)net/Rankings/OverallRanking.aspx?type=overall&s=&world=0&job=0&pageIndex=6 It gives me the data at this page ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seagaia
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get literal ampersand to display in SQL output

Gurus, Thanks so much for your help, in advance. I'm using ksh and outputting a literal string value to an output file, however, Unix isn't playing by SQL's rules. The ampersand character which I'm trying to disply as a knowledge base link is screwing up the output. Typically, the "&&" is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WhoDatWhoDer
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Ampersand

I want to add the character "<" to the end of each line of input using the & function in SED. Something like: sed 's/.*/&\</' It's important to use the &, not another method, because I want to know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlopes
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with ampersand (&) in sed command

Hello everybody, I have a Problem with sed command. I want to replace a defined string with a string from a database field (dynamic). e.g. sed -i -e 's/%NAME%/'"$HNAME"'/g' The Problem is that the $HNAME variable can contain Special characters like '&' e.g. HNAME="AH Kruger & Co. KG" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bambuti2000
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Gawk Escaping Ampersand

I would like to open a text m3u file and add the same string to the beginning of each line. I think I am close, but I cannot figure out how to escape the ampersand in the following code: gawk-3.1.6.exe "{print /var/media/Music2.0TB2.1USB/Audio Files/Music/Rock & Roll/ $0}" "L:\Music\Rock &... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: WarpLover
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Nohup with ampersand & process gets disconnected

For years I have spawned shell scripts with nohup and ampersand and they run whether or not I stay logged in. Recently a client told us that we had to set a keep alive timeout on all of our Redhat 7.6 Linux servers. Our sysadmin set the following parameters in the sshd_config file on all of our... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
10 Replies
wait(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           wait(1)

NAME
wait - await process completion SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh wait [pid...] /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh wait [pid...] wait [ % jobid...] /bin/csh wait DESCRIPTION
The shell itself executes wait, without creating a new process. If you get the error message cannot fork,too many processes, try using the wait command to clean up your background processes. If this doesn't help, the system process table is probably full or you have too many active foreground processes. There is a limit to the number of process IDs associated with your login, and to the number the system can keep track of. Not all the processes of a pipeline with three or more stages are children of the shell, and thus cannot be waited for. /bin/sh, /bin/jsh Wait for your background process whose process ID is pid and report its termination status. If pid is omitted, all your shell's currently active background processes are waited for and the return code will be 0. The wait utility accepts a job identifier, when Job Control is enabled (jsh), and the argument, jobid, is preceded by a percent sign (%). If pid is not an active process ID, the wait utility will return immediately and the return code will be 0. csh Wait for your background processes. ksh When an asynchronous list is started by the shell, the process ID of the last command in each element of the asynchronous list becomes known in the current shell execution environment. If the wait utility is invoked with no operands, it will wait until all process IDs known to the invoking shell have terminated and exit with an exit status of 0. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent known process IDs (or jobids), the wait utility will wait until all of them have terminated. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent unknown process IDs (or jobids), wait will treat them as if they were known process IDs (or jobids) that exited with exit status 127. The exit status returned by the wait utility will be the exit status of the process requested by the last pid or jobid operand. The known process IDs are applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: One of the following: pid The unsigned decimal integer process ID of a command, for which the utility is to wait for the termination. jobid A job control job ID that identifies a background process group to be waited for. The job control job ID notation is applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment, and only on systems supporting the job control option. USAGE
On most implementations, wait is a shell built-in. If it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following, (wait) nohup wait ... find . -exec wait ... ; it will return immediately because there will be no known process IDs to wait for in those environments. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using A Script To Identify The Termination Signal Although the exact value used when a process is terminated by a signal is unspecified, if it is known that a signal terminated a process, a script can still reliably figure out which signal is using kill, as shown by the following (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 1000& pid=$! kill -kill $pid wait $pid echo $pid was terminated by a SIG$(kill -l $(($?-128))) signal. Example 2: Returning The Exit Status Of A Process If the following sequence of commands is run in less than 31 seconds (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 257 | sleep 31 & jobs -l %% then either of the following commands will return the exit status of the second sleep in the pipeline: wait <pid of sleep 31> wait %% ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of wait: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), jobs(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 1997 wait(1)