Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic script?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Basic script? Post 302140039 by kjbaumann on Wednesday 10th of October 2007 01:42:55 PM
Old 10-10-2007
Basic script?

All,

I have a list of over 400 users that need certain directories created. These will be created in /users/$username on a system and I need a directory called chess under these directories that I create.

Instead of me manually adding each one (mkdir /users/user1, mkdir /users/user1/chess) then changing the ownership (chown -R user1:group) I would love to have a script ask me for a username and have it to the work.

I'm not too familiar with scripts asking for input so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with basic unix script

What I am supposed to do is creat a menu with the following Find a song Find a album Sort by artist Delete a song Add a new song Quit Now the file with the song information is database Here is what I have so far #!/bin/bash #================================================= #Script Name:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stp0052
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help with a basic script

a) Total number of words in the file. b) Total number of different words in the file. How can I use the translate and/or unique commands to accomplish this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EECSDAVE
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a basic script

Hi everybody :( :confused: :D, I need someone to help me! I have a file with 4 colunms and I would like to transform only the 4th colunm by multiplying this by a constant value (i.e 0.3047). I'm a new one using/creating basic scripts and I'm using linux redhat. The file has the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Estanislau
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a basic script

Hi everybody :( :confused: :D, I need someone to help me! I have a file with 4 colunms and I would like to transform only the 4th colunm by multiplying this by a constant value (i.e 0.3047). I'm a new one using/creating basic scripts and I'm using linux redhat. The file has the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Estanislau
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic script question

I'm trying to approach a problem but all I'm coming up with are complex ways to manipulate the data. But still not getting the desired outcome. directory of files.... file-100-foo file-100-man file-100-chu Need to copy the files and increment the number in the file name ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suphawk
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic shell script help

Im trying to make a script that simply adds a word to the last available line in a txt file without overwriting any previous lines. Ive googled this and there are great examples but no one explain what each function does, and i dont entirely understand how it works. Basically Im looking for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylecn
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with basic script - not working..

Here is the script I wrote... Pls. help. #!/bin/ksh for SERVER in NEWSNYD403P NEWSNYD404P SNEWSNYD601P SNEWSNYD602P SNEWSDNY603P SNEWSNYD604P do /usr/bin/scp "/home/sam/bash.tar root@$SERVER":/tmp done Error msg I get: ./scp_script.sh: syntax error at line 3:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a little help with my first shell script. Basic image resize script...

Hey everyone, just now joined because I didn't want to go onto Ubuntu forums and start asking about how to write shell scripts. Seems like this is a pretty active forum for exactly what I need. I'm trying to modify a shell script I found online, the end goal is to have it find all files in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mozzles
9 Replies
quota(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 quota(1M)

NAME
quota - display a user's ufs file system disk quota and usage SYNOPSIS
quota [-v] [username] DESCRIPTION
quota displays users' UFS disk usage and limits. Only the super-user may use the optional username argument to view the limits of other users. quota without options only display warnings about mounted file systems where usage is over quota. Remotely mounted file systems which do not have quotas turned on are ignored. username can be the numeric UID of a user. OPTIONS
-v Display user's quota on all mounted file systems where quotas exist. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of quota when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). FILES
/etc/mnttab list of currently mounted filesystems ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
edquota(1M), quotaon(1M), quotacheck(1M), repquota(1M), rquotad(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5), zones(5) NOTES
quota displays quotas for NFS mounted UFS-based file systems if the rquotad daemon is running. See rquotad(1M). In a zones(5) environment, quota displays quotas only for the zone in which it is invoked. quota can display entries for the same file system multiple times for multiple mount points. For example, # quota -v user1 might display identical quota information for user1 at the mount points /home/user1, /home/user2, and /home/user, if all three mount points are mounted from the same file system with quotas turned on. SunOS 5.11 11 Nov 2008 quota(1M)