Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Redirect Problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirect Problem Post 302139853 by reborg on Tuesday 9th of October 2007 02:19:26 PM
Old 10-09-2007
The time command output its information to stderr, not stdout so you would need to redirect stderr.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/sh

for COMMAND in pwd
do
time ${COMMAND}
done 2>&1 | sed "s/^/ /g" | tee -a test.out

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Redirect

I'm sittig behind a firewall that doesn't allow ftp. I have a conection to a UNIX system, connecting throug SSH. Is it possible to redirect the ftp through the UNIX to my computer? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: <Therapy>
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect question

Hi, I need some help to achive the follwoing task: I have a file named test that contain the following line: 'Hellow world','good morning' I want to attach the content of this file to a variable named var , and then rediarect it to a second file bamed test_new. The result should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem with redirect stdout to file

Hi all hope you can help as I am going MAD!!! :eek: The below is in a shell script but the redirection in the sed line does not work and outputs to the screen and the $fname_2 does note get created ????? Can any one help ?? #!/bin/ksh cd /app/ for fname in `ls -1 X*` do sed 1d $fname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH problem - how do i redirect three times?

i need to output an ls command to a file but also capture any errors from that command and output them to a log file and the screen. if it's only possible to output them to a log file and not the screen then that's fine. this is what i've tried so far, but it won't populate log.txt. i've... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect from the Root?

Hello again, What im trying to do is to redirect output from a cmd, from the root, to a file. But i guess thats illegal. I just wanted to know the file size of all files in my system. So: cd / du -k but i need to ouput this information to a 'sysfile.txt' file, or what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oxoxo
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Cron redirect problem

Hello all, I have a script that I am trying to execute and redirect the output to a file, but I have trouble in redirection. The cron job is running properly as I see it in the mail. This is what I am doing In crontab file, 0 4 * * * somescript.sh > /some_location/`date '+%m%d%y_%H%M'`.log... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout and stderr to file wrong order problem with subshell

Hello I read a lot of post related to this topic, but nothing helped me. :mad: I'm running a ksh script with subshell what processing some ldap command. I need to check output for possible errors. #!/bin/ksh ... readinput < $QCHAT_INPUT |& while read -p line do echo $line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Osim
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect Problem

Hi, I have perl script which is calling an external command using "system()" with argument. But i am not able to capture the output.Even tried with backtick also with no luck. . . $number=<>; system ("cmd $number >output.txt"); (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rasingraj
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with << redirect - Please help!

I have a script to send an email like below. Problem is, the if ..fi block is not getting executed, and is coming as a part of the email body. Can anyone take a look at this? :confused: Log file shows this: SEND_MAIL.prog: line 64: : command not found echo "Input Parameters" echo... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansmaan
11 Replies

10. Web Development

Htaccess Redirect Problem

Hi, I have this string that I need to match and redirect to an actual live url. I have tried what I know and it won't match. This is the url I want to match. http://www.abc.com/smf_test/?topic=191.0;wap2 here is my attempt at a pattern match RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/smf_test/$... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharingsunshine
0 Replies
SYSTEMD-CAT(1)							    systemd-cat 						    SYSTEMD-CAT(1)

NAME
systemd-cat - Connect a pipeline or program's output with the journal SYNOPSIS
systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] [COMMAND] [ARGUMENTS...] systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-cat may be used to connect the standard input and output of a process to the journal, or as a filter tool in a shell pipeline to pass the output the previous pipeline element generates to the journal. If no parameter is passed, systemd-cat will write everything it reads from standard input (stdin) to the journal. If parameters are passed, they are executed as command line with standard output (stdout) and standard error output (stderr) connected to the journal, so that all it writes is stored in the journal. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. -t, --identifier= Specify a short string that is used to identify the logging tool. If not specified, no identification string is written to the journal. -p, --priority= Specify the default priority level for the logged messages. Pass one of "emerg", "alert", "crit", "err", "warning", "notice", "info", "debug", or a value between 0 and 7 (corresponding to the same named levels). These priority values are the same as defined by syslog(3). Defaults to "info". Note that this simply controls the default, individual lines may be logged with different levels if they are prefixed accordingly. For details, see --level-prefix= below. --level-prefix= Controls whether lines read are parsed for syslog priority level prefixes. If enabled (the default), a line prefixed with a priority prefix such as "<5>" is logged at priority 5 ("notice"), and similar for the other priority levels. Takes a boolean argument. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example 1. Invoke a program This calls /bin/ls with standard output and error connected to the journal: # systemd-cat ls Example 2. Usage in a shell pipeline This builds a shell pipeline also invoking /bin/ls and writes the output it generates to the journal: # ls | systemd-cat Even though the two examples have very similar effects the first is preferable since only one process is running at a time, and both stdout and stderr are captured while in the second example, only stdout is captured. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), logger(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-CAT(1)