Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Redirect Problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirect Problem Post 302139847 by 2dumb on Tuesday 9th of October 2007 01:25:45 PM
Old 10-09-2007
Redirect Problem

I am using the time command in a script however the output of the time command will display on my screen but not my output file. Any Ideas on how to fix this?

> cat test.sh
#############################
#!/usr/bin/sh

for COMMAND in pwd
do
time ${COMMAND}
done | sed "s/^/ /g" | tee -a test.out
#############################

> test.sh

real 0m0.00s
user 0m0.00s
sys 0m0.00s
/tmp

> cat test.out
/tmp

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Redirect

I'm sittig behind a firewall that doesn't allow ftp. I have a conection to a UNIX system, connecting throug SSH. Is it possible to redirect the ftp through the UNIX to my computer? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: <Therapy>
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect question

Hi, I need some help to achive the follwoing task: I have a file named test that contain the following line: 'Hellow world','good morning' I want to attach the content of this file to a variable named var , and then rediarect it to a second file bamed test_new. The result should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem with redirect stdout to file

Hi all hope you can help as I am going MAD!!! :eek: The below is in a shell script but the redirection in the sed line does not work and outputs to the screen and the $fname_2 does note get created ????? Can any one help ?? #!/bin/ksh cd /app/ for fname in `ls -1 X*` do sed 1d $fname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH problem - how do i redirect three times?

i need to output an ls command to a file but also capture any errors from that command and output them to a log file and the screen. if it's only possible to output them to a log file and not the screen then that's fine. this is what i've tried so far, but it won't populate log.txt. i've... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect from the Root?

Hello again, What im trying to do is to redirect output from a cmd, from the root, to a file. But i guess thats illegal. I just wanted to know the file size of all files in my system. So: cd / du -k but i need to ouput this information to a 'sysfile.txt' file, or what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oxoxo
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Cron redirect problem

Hello all, I have a script that I am trying to execute and redirect the output to a file, but I have trouble in redirection. The cron job is running properly as I see it in the mail. This is what I am doing In crontab file, 0 4 * * * somescript.sh > /some_location/`date '+%m%d%y_%H%M'`.log... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout and stderr to file wrong order problem with subshell

Hello I read a lot of post related to this topic, but nothing helped me. :mad: I'm running a ksh script with subshell what processing some ldap command. I need to check output for possible errors. #!/bin/ksh ... readinput < $QCHAT_INPUT |& while read -p line do echo $line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Osim
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect Problem

Hi, I have perl script which is calling an external command using "system()" with argument. But i am not able to capture the output.Even tried with backtick also with no luck. . . $number=<>; system ("cmd $number >output.txt"); (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rasingraj
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with << redirect - Please help!

I have a script to send an email like below. Problem is, the if ..fi block is not getting executed, and is coming as a part of the email body. Can anyone take a look at this? :confused: Log file shows this: SEND_MAIL.prog: line 64: : command not found echo "Input Parameters" echo... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansmaan
11 Replies

10. Web Development

Htaccess Redirect Problem

Hi, I have this string that I need to match and redirect to an actual live url. I have tried what I know and it won't match. This is the url I want to match. http://www.abc.com/smf_test/?topic=191.0;wap2 here is my attempt at a pattern match RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/smf_test/$... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharingsunshine
0 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), replay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux