Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: print selected lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting print selected lines Post 302139545 by tonet on Monday 8th of October 2007 03:57:34 AM
Old 10-08-2007
Question print selected lines

Hi everybody:
I try to print in new file selected lines from another file wich depends on the first column.

I have done a script like this:

Code:
	lines=( "1" "2" "3" "4" "5" "6" "7" "8" "9" "10" "11" "21" "31" "41" "51" "55" "57" "58" )
	${lines[@]}
	for lines in ${lines[@]}
	do
	awk -v  target=$lines  ' $1 == target print $0 ' file1 >> file2
	done

But I have the next error:

Code:
./T-eff.sh: 42: Syntax error: "(" unexpected ------ where the line 42 correspond when I declare the array "lines"

Any suggestion?. Thanks in advance Smilie
tonet

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print selected rows with awk

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me how I can print from a file a selected rows with awk. In my case I only want print in another file all the rows from NR=8 to NR=2459 and the increment each 8 times. I tried to this: awk '{for (i=8; i=2459; i+=8); NR==i}' file1 > file2 But doesn't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print out a selected word.

Hi can anyone assist me on my problem. I try to grep 1 word in 1 line data. Example like below. * Data below located in a.txt, i just wanna grep just processing-time = "12" total-octets = "20080718214210Z" total-pages = "" octets-completed = "20080721064351Z" pages-completed = "2"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anakiar
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print selected pages

I have a large file and want to print out, but I don't want to print all, just some pages. Like if the file has 100 pages, I just want to print out page 3-34 and 67-87. How can I do? By the way, I already try "lp -o page-ranges=value" command which doesn't work on my computer because -o <option>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wendyz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print only selected char in a string..?

Hi, I want to print particular chars in a string. for example ie., consider " dear,. roopa$#09%~`';']" as the example string. Here, I want to print only alphanumeric chars.. suppose , if i want only alphanumeric... value would be "dear roopa09" suppose , if i want some spl char(,) with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan_mca
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to print selected fields of selected lines by AWK

I am trying to print 1st, 2nd, 13th and 14th fields of a file of line numbers from 29 to 10029. I dont know how to put this in one code. Currently I am removing the selected lines by awk 'NR==29,NR==10029' File1 > File2 and then doing awk '{print $1, $2, $13, $14}' File2 > File3 Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananyob
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines AFTER lines cointaining a regexp (or print every first and fourth line)

Hi all, This should be very easy but I can't figure it out... I have a file that looks like this: @SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 AGCAGTGGTATCAACGCAGAGTAAGCAGTGGTAT +SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 FIIHFF6666?=:88@@@BBD:::?@ABBAAA>8 @SRR057408.2 FW8Y5CK02TBMHV length=52... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print selected lines from file in order

I need to extract selected lines from a log file, I can use grep to pull one line matching 'x' or matching 'y', how can I run through the log printing both matching lines in order top to bottom. i.e line 1 xyz - not needed line 2 User01 - needed line 3 123 - not needed line 4 Info - needed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosslm
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

only print a selected row

this works: cat file.txt| awk 'NR==45,NR==55' but how do I assign variables instead of numbers: this does not work: cat file.txt | awk 'NR==$start,NR==$end' there need variables instead of numbers Sorry for my English Thank you for answer (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gizmo16
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print selected fields

HI, I am using below command to display the words, but i am getting awk error. Please help me out on this I am using below code i am getting error as If i use below code i am getting below OP Output from where i am trying to select the fields after delimiter "," from here i want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darling
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find key pattern and print selected lines for each record

Hi, I need help on a complicated file that I am working on. I wanted to extract important info from a very huge file. It is space delimited file. I have hundred thousands of records in this file. An example content of the inputfile as below:- ## ID Ser402 Old; 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
2 Replies
ppdof(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  ppdof(8)

NAME
ppdof - Text to PostScript translation filter SYNOPSIS
/usr/lbin/ppdof +Cfilename [-n login] [-h host] [...] OPTIONS
Use of the print flags is dependent on the features available on the print device, and on the current status of those features. For exam- ple, when you select a particular paper size, the appropriate paper must be correctly loaded in the paper trays. Options in /etc/printcap The following options are set in the /etc/printcap file and can be specified using the + switch. For example: :if=/usr/lbin/ppdof +Bupper +Cln32.rpd: You can also specify command line options in the /etc/printcap file using the + switch. For example: :if=/usr/lbin/ppdof +Olandscape +Cln32.rpd: Here, the -Olandscape option is specified. Specifies the default tray name to select for printing the banner page. For example: :of=/usr/lbin/ppdof +Bupper +Cln32.rpd: In this example, the banner page will be printed on whatever stock is currently loaded into the upper tray on the selected print device. Specifies the printer configuration file to use for the print job. Specifies the unit of measurement to be inches or cen- timeters for lines per inch (lpi), characters per inch (cpi), and page margin options. The default value is inches. Specifies the default tray name to select for printing the trailer page. For example: :if=/usr/lbin/ppdof +olower +Cln32.rpd: Command Line Options Specify print filter options at the command line using the lpr command as follows. Multiple -O options are supported. Specifies the host name from which the job owner is submitting the print command. Specifies the login (account) name of the job owner. Specifies the name of the output tray where the printed pages are placed. Specifies the page width in columns for portrait and landscape printing. A page width of 0 instructs the filter to use 80 columns in portrait orientation and 132 columns in landscape orientation. Specifies the tray name from which print paper is selected. The printer may select an alternate tray when the paper size provided in the tray does not match the docu- ment requirements. Specifies the number of sides to print on each sheet. You can specify sides as follows: 1 or one - Print on one side of the sheet. 2 or two - Print on both sides of the sheet (duplex printing). Specifies options related to page orientation, formatting, and features as follows: Specifies the number of characters to print per inch. Specifies only even numbered sheets are to be printed. Speci- fies the printed output is parallel to the long side of the page. Specifies the number of lines to print per page. Specifies the number of lines to print per inch. Specifies only odd numbered sheets are to be printed. Specifies the range of pages to be printed, starting with page number m and ending with page number n. Specifies to print the list of options provided by the printer configuration file which includes paper sizes, input and output paper tray names. For example: # lpr -Oprint /etc/motd (Note that the file /etc/motd is specified to satisfy lpr command line requirements, the file itself is not printed.) Specifies the printed output is parallel to the short side of the page. These options specify the various page margins in inches. The page mar- gin sizes in inches as follows: tm= - Top margin in inches. For example -Otm=2 bm= - Bottom margin in inches. For example -Obm=1.5 lm= - Left margin in inches. For example -Olm=1 rm= - Right margin in inches. For example -Orm=3 pm= - Page margin. Using this option sets tm, bm, lm and rm to the same value. For example -Opm=1.25 When configuring the /etc/printcap entry, different margins for landscape and portrait orientation can be specified by adding the suffixes _l and _p respectively. For example: :if=/usr/lbin/ppdof +Olm_p=0.5 +Olm_l=0.25 +Cln32.rpd: DESCRIPTION
The ppdof filter translates ASCII to PostScript and handles the device dependencies of a PostScript printer. It is recommended that the ppdof filter be specified for both the :of and the :if fields in the /etc/printcap file. For a description of these fields, see the printcap(4) reference page. RESTRICTIONS
The commands generated by the ppdof filter to handle device dependencies might be incompatible with some PostScript documents. When a PostScript file does not print correctly use the following command to prevent file preprocessing. # lpr -x file.ps The filter will not setup device dependencies or provide ASCII to PostScript translation for documents containing printer control charac- ters. EXIT STATUS
Any value other than zero (0) indicates that an error has occurred. ERRORS
Use the lf error log field in the /etc/printcap to specify the name of the error log file. SEE ALSO
Commands: cancel(1), lpr(1), pr(1) Files: printcap(4). System Administration ppdof(8)