Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting getting stderr & stdout output lively modified Post 302139529 by Perderabo on Monday 8th of October 2007 12:41:27 AM
Old 10-08-2007
You would need to use C or something like that. This is beyond what I want want to try via a script. perl could handle it though. basicly you will need to allocate a psuedo tty and arrange for the user to interact with the pty. Your program would sit between the user's "real" tty and the psuedo tty you allocate. The program called "script" does all of this, not to translate, but to capture all input and output to a file. So you could obtain the source code to script and study that as a starting point.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr & stdout to a file and the right exit code

Hi all, I need to redirect stdout and stderr to a file in a ksh shell. That's not a problem. But I need also the correct exit code for the executed command. In the example below I redirect correctly the stdout & stderr to a file, but I have the exit code of tee command and not for the mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: up69
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting STDOUT & STDERR

In bash, I need to send the STDOUT and STDERR from a command to one file, and then just STDERR to another file. Doing one or the other using redirects is easy, but trying to do both at once is a bit tricky. Anyone have any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshinaman
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

combined stdout & stderr

Hello Everyone! I'm trying to combine output for standard output and for possible standard error to the log file. I was trying to use tee command, but it turned out if error occurred error output will be send to the screen only and will not be redirected with tee command to the log file. Anyone... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: slavam
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Stdout&StdErr for background jobs.

Hello Friends, sorry, i am not very familiar with Unix programming. Could you please help me on this? We have to start different components from a startup script. each components are started as below in the background in a startprocess function $nohup $file $args >>$logFile 2>&1 & ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinbush
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Handling Stdout&StdErr for background jobs.

Hello Friends, sorry, i am not very familiar with Unix programming. Could you please help me on this? We have to start different components from a startup script. each components are started as below in the background in a startprocess function $nohup $file $args >>$logFile 2>&1 & ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinbush
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend TimeStamp to STDERR & STDOUT to a file

Currently I am redirecting STDERR and STDOUT to a log file by doing the following { My KSH script contents } 2>&1 | $DEBUGLOG Problem is the STDERR & STDOUT do not have any date/time associated. I want this to be something that i can embed into a script opposed to an argument I use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost redirecting stderr & stdout to 3 files - one each plus combined

Hi folks I need/want to redirect output (stdout, stderr) from an exec call to separate files. One for stderr only and two(!) different (!) ones for the combined output of stderr and stdout. After some research and testing i got this so far : (( exec ${command} ${command_parameters} 3>&1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDominok
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
TTYSNOOP(8)                                                 BSD System Manager's Manual                                                TTYSNOOP(8)

NAME
ttysnoop -- snoop on a user's tty SYNOPSIS
ttysnoop [pty] ttysnoops DESCRIPTION
The ttysnoop / ttysnoops client-server combo can be used to snoop (watch) on a user's login tty. The server (ttysnoops) is usually started by getty(8) or telnetd(8) and reads the file /etc/snooptab to find out which tty's should be cloned and which programs to run on them (usu- ally /bin/login). A tty may be snooped through a pre-determined (ie. fixed) device, or through a dynamically allocated pseudo-tty (pty). This is also specified in the /etc/snooptab file. To connect to the pty, the client ttysnoop should be used. The available pseudo terminals pty are present as sockets in the directory /var/spool/ttysnoop/. Format of /etc/snooptab The /etc/snooptab file may contain comment lines (starting with a '#'), empty lines, or entries for tty's that should be snooped upon. The format of such an entry is as follows: tty snoop-device type program where tty is the leaf-name of the tty that should be snooped upon (eg. ttyS2, not /dev/ttyS2) OR the wildcard '*', which matches ANY tty. snoop-device is the device through which tty should be snooped (eg. /dev/tty8) OR the literal constant "socket". The latter is used to tell ttysnoops that the snoop-device will be a dynamically allocated pty. type specifies the type of program that should be run, currently recog- nized types are "init", "user" and "login" although the former two aren't really needed. Finally, program is the full pathname to the program to run when ttysnoops has cloned tty onto snoop-device. EXAMPLE
The following example /etc/snooptab file should illustrate the typical use of ttysnoop / ttysnoops: # # example /etc/snooptab # ttyS0 /dev/tty7 login /bin/login ttyS1 /dev/tty8 login /bin/login # # the wildcard tty should always be the last one in the file # * socket login /bin/login # # example end # With the above example, whenever a user logs in on /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1, either tty will be snooped through /dev/tty7 or /dev/tty8 respectively. Any other tty's will be snooped through a pty that will be allocated at the time of login. The system-administrator can then run ttysnoop pty to snoop through the pty. Note that it is up to the system-administrator to setup getty and/or telnetd so that they execute ttysnoops instead of /bin/login. SEE ALSO
getty(8), telnetd(8) FILES
/etc/snooptab BUGS
The program is unable to do any terminal control-code translations for the original tty and the snoop-device. I doubt it will ever do this. AUTHOR
Carl Declerck, carl@miskatonic.inbe.net BSD August 8 1994 BSD