Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: struggling within awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting struggling within awk Post 302139522 by geeko on Monday 8th of October 2007 12:04:31 AM
Old 10-08-2007
struggling within awk

!#/bin/bash

cat input.sh | awk '
{
cur1=tolower($1)

cur2=tolower($2)

rsh $cur1 report | grep $cur2

# i just want to make the code line to work
} '

the error which i get is ....

./madh1.sh: line 1: !#/bin/bash: No such file or directory
awk: cmd. line:13: rsh $cur1 report | grep tree | grep $cur2
awk: cmd. line:13: ^ syntax error
awk: cmd. line:13: rsh $cur1 report | grep tree | grep $cur2
awk: cmd. line:13: ^ syntax error

i'm new to shell scripting & not comfortable with the awk..can you please help me..

thanks in advance,

regards,
geeko.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

struggling with addusr ...

I'm completely new to UNIX, and having got the hang of directory navigation / creation (Just about), I think it is time to create an FTP account, so that I can upload a web site remotely. Herein lies the problem... 1: I cannot find a breakdown of addusr commands, so I cannot create a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dufty
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Struggling with mkfifo

Gurus, I did my research (on google, this site and my local library) but I am *still* lost. I am trying to teach myself about `named pipes` playing around with MKFIFO (Why not?). (1) It seems MKNOD is reserved to ROOT whereas MKFIFO is accessible to all users. Am I correct? If the answer is... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
20 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Struggling with a text file

Hi, I am struggling with the following... I try to grep out information of a text file I got with lynx, a text browser. The text file I get from lynx with dump is attached in the bottom. What I would like to get is another file containing the astro-ph/98324 (number) and title and list of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pau
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help- Unix File Compare- Struggling

I had posted this earlier about 3 weeks ago and had recieved a response and I did sort both the files and the comm command is still not working. Can someone please assist me, I would really appreciate it. Below is what I am trying to do I need to compare File A with File B and create FILE C... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Struggling with arrays and delimited file

Hi, I am trying to use arrays in my script but can not seem to get it to work. I have a file called sections, this contains headers from a tripwire log file, separated by "@" but could be "," if easier The headers will be used to cut sections from the log file into another to be mailed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Struggling with AWK

I know this is an easy problem, but I've been struggling with it all morning and finally admit I need help. I have two files that I need to compare. After doing this the easy way (grep -F) I realize that there are other fields in file2 that match field1 in file1, so I turned to awk. I want to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moldoverb
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Struggling to combine two Greps statements

Greetings! I have been tasked to create a report off files we receive from our hardware suppliers. I need to grep these files for two fields 'Test_Version' and 'Model-Manufacturer' ; for each field, I need to capture their corresponding values. When running each statement separately, I get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file: struggling against sed command

Hello fellows, Sure you can help this poor guy that is struggling against sed command, being unable to tame it I have a lot of files like this: From this one, I need to obtain values highlighted in bold/red To do so, I am executing this piece of code inside a loop: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manolain
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output yields error: awk:can't open job_name (Autosys)

Good evening, Im newbie at unix specially with awk From an scheduler program called Autosys i want to extract some data reading an inputfile that comprises jobs names, then formating the output to columns for example 1. This is the inputfile: $ more MapaRep.txt ds_extra_nikira_usuarios... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
18 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)