Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Generate a random password
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Generate a random password Post 302139506 by Cameron on Sunday 7th of October 2007 08:03:55 PM
Old 10-07-2007
I came to the realization that Perderabo mentions many years ago.

Found a nice, small 3rd party product independant from the server that I use to create passwords. I use KeePass to generate all passwords that I don't use on a regular basis (of which are 20 characters (alpha-num-special) in length, but I do store all passwords in its database.

Has a neat copy/paste buffered (timed) facility to avoid having to retype the pasword after it's set. You and others might find it useful.

Cheers,
Cameron Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to generate a random number?

How to generate a random integer with specific range(for example, from 1 to 1000)? Also, how to convert a floating point number into a integer? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacMonster
2 Replies

2. Programming

Generate Random Password in C

I need a function to generate a random alphanumeric password in C code. It needs to be between 6-8 characters and follow the following rules: Reject if same char appears # time: 4 or more Reject if same char appears consecutively: 3 or more I have the following random password working for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjaws
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to generate random strings from regx?

Hi, Guz! I'm working on a scripts compiler which needs a function to generate random strings. I think REGX may be a good solution to restrict the string format. Before DIYing I'd like asking for any existing libs or codes. Any help will be appreciated! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wqqafnd
7 Replies

4. Programming

Generate random number

I saw this formula to generate random number between two specified values in shell script.the following. $(((RANDOM%(max-min+divisibleBy))/divisibleBy*divisibleBy+min)) Give a example in book. Generate random number between 6 and 30.like this. $(((RANDOM%30/3+1)*3)) But I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luoluo
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

6. Programming

generate array of random numbers

hi guys, I am writing a c program that generates a two dimensional array to make matrix and a vector of random numbers and perform multiplication. I can't figure out whats wrong with my code. It generates a matrix of random numbers but all the numbers in the vector array is same and so is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saboture88
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate random base 16

How would you use bash to generate a random 32 digit number base 16? Like this one: 0cc06f2fa0166913291afcb788717458 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate random numbers in script

i want to generate a random number through a script, and even if anyone reads the script, they wont be able to figure out what the random number is. only the person who setup the script would know it. something like this could work: random the full thread is here: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with generate a pair of random number

Hi, Is anybody experience generate a pair of random number by using awk command? I wanna to generate a pair of random number (range from 1 to 4124) and repeats it 416 times. Desired output 2 326 123 1256 341 14 3245 645 . . . I did write the below command: awk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies
randomword(3)						     Library Functions Manual						     randomword(3)

NAME
randomword, randomchars, randomletters - Generate random passwords (Enhanced Security) LIBRARY
Security Library - libsecurity.so SYNOPSIS
int randomchars( char *string, unsigned short int minlen, unsigned short int maxlen, boolean restrict, long seed); int randomletters( char *string, unsigned short int minlen, unsigned short int maxlen, boolean restrict, long seed); int randomword( char *word, char *hyphenated_word, unsigned short int minlen, unsigned short int maxlen, boolean restrict, long seed); PARAMETERS
Points at a user-supplied space to contain a null-terminated password. Specifies the minimum length that a generated word can have. Spec- ifies the maximum length that a generated word can have. Specifies whether restrictions are to be imposed on the generated word. This is a boolean integer, where a non-zero integer indications restrictions and a 0 (zero) indicates no restrictions. Specifies an initial seed for the random number generator. Points at a user-supplied space to contain a null-terminated random pronounceable password. Contains the hyphenated version of the generated word. DESCRIPTION
These functions generate random passwords for use in password selection. All of them are generated by the system, based on seeds and set in the function. Such seeds can be created with the drand48(), rand(), or random() functions. The randomchars() function places a null-terminated password composed of random printable ASCII characters into the string parameter and returns the length of the generated string. The minlen parameter can equal maxlen, but cannot be greater than maxlen, and cannot be nega- tive. The user space preallocated is at least maxlen for string. The smaller minlen and maxlen are, the smaller the selection space of random words. The restrict parameter is 0 (zero) when no restrictions are placed on the generated word. It is nonzero when the words generated pass the tests of the acceptable_password() function. The seed parameter is used by the function only on the first time it is called; the parameter is ignored on subsequent calls. The randomletters() function places a null-terminated password composed of random lower-case letters into the string parameter and returns the length of the generated word. The minlen, maxlen, restrict, and seed parameters are the same as for the randomchars() function. The randomword() function places a null-terminated random pronounceable password into the word parameter and returns the length of the gen- erated word. The minlen, maxlen, restrict, and seed parameters are the same as for the randomchars() and randomletters() functions. The user space preallocated is at least 2*max - 1 for hyphenated_word. NOTES
The password generator relies on a random number generator that produces uniformly distributed integers. Because the password generator invokes the random number generator many times even for one word, the random number generator has to produce a uniform distribution. The period (distinct numbers produced given a particular seed) and number space (range of possible numbers) must both be large. The drand48() functions are used for this purpose. Programs using these functions must be compiled with -lsecurity. FILES
System password file. System group file. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: acceptable_password(3), drand48(3), rand(3), random(3). Commands: login(1), passwd(1). delim off randomword(3)