Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Reading and Writing from Excel using Unix scripting Post 302139477 by AshishK on Sunday 7th of October 2007 02:33:30 PM
Old 10-07-2007
Reading and Writing from Excel using Unix scripting

Hi All,

I want to read and write into Excel files.

I want my script to generate the required output directly in the Excel format.

Is it possible through unix scripting or shall I have to use some other language for this purpose?

Waiting for your suggestion.

Thanks in Advance.

AshishK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading and Writing Files ?

Hello, Our group is just starting to get into UNIX here. We are former REXX users on a VM Mainframe. Can someone point me to the documentation to read a file and write a file in a Unix Shell Script or does this have to be done in another language? Thank you in advance... Dave (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tracydp
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading/ writing to sockets

Is it possible to read from or write to sockets with ksh? I use AIX 5.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rein
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading data from excel using shell script

Hi all I am new to shell scripting. I need to write a shell script that reads each row of an USER_ID colume in a excel file. the excel has around 10000 rows of data. Can someone gives me some example or advice what's best way to do this thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger99
11 Replies

4. Programming

I need help with file reading/writing in C

Hello everybody, I'm trying to code a program which makes the following: It sends an ARP request frame and when it gets the reply, extracts the IP address of source and writes it to a .txt file. This is gonna be done with many hosts (with a for() loop), so, the text file would look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
2 Replies

5. Programming

Excel reading on Linux using Java

Hi, I have a requirement where users will send excel(.xls) file to Linux Platform using ftp/sftp. After that the excel file needs to be read using java on linux and converted into csv. I am using jxl to parse the excel, but few character like £ are not getting parsed properly. If i open the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joy_bt
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and writing in same file

Hi All, Here is my requirement. I am grepping through the log files and cutting some fields from the file to generate a csv file. Now I have to check if 2nd field is having some fixed value then with the help of 4th field I have to look in same log and run another grep command to retrieve the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmajumder
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Reading Excel sheet isssue

There is a perl scriptwhich will read Excel sheet and create one file(.v) . Excel sheet::: A B C D 1 cpu_dailog 2 3 4 Perl will create the file(.v) like thsi ::: assert (cpu_dailog_iso ==2) ; assert (cpu_dailog_reset ==3); assert (cpu_dailog_idle... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naaj_ila
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing excel file using perl : Excel file formatting changed

I am trying to create a program where user can input data in certain excel cells using user interface on internet....the programming is on perl and server is unix But when i parse data into excel the formatting of sheets is turned to default and all macro coding removed. What to do...Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mud_born
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing in excel sheet using ksh

Hello, I'm trying to write a script to export a txt file to excel. The text file is a delimited with commas Example: Report Date,12/12/2014 Report By, Person Issue, Job Failed I tried exporting as csv and mailed to my id. But if I open the csv file the data is coming in single... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: annamalaikasi
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing xml from excel sheet .xls using perl script

Hi all. I am working on the below requirement of generating .xml file from .xls file which i have , can someone please help me or in writing the perl script for the same: The xls file format is as below which has two columns and number of rows are not fixed: Fixlet Name ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
12 Replies
Excel::Template::Element::Cell(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Excel::Template::Element::Cell(3pm)

NAME
Excel::Template::Element::Cell - Excel::Template::Element::Cell PURPOSE
To actually write stuff to the worksheet NODE NAME
CELL INHERITANCE
ELEMENT ATTRIBUTES
o TEXT This is the text to write to the cell. This can either be text or a parameter with a dollar-sign in front of the parameter name. o COL Optionally, you can specify which column you want this cell to be in. It can be either a number (zero-based) or an offset. See Excel::Template for more info on offset-based numbering. o REF Adds the current cell to the a list of cells that can be backreferenced. This is useful when the current cell needs to be referenced by a formula. See BACKREF and RANGE. o WIDTH Sets the width of the column the cell is in. The last setting for a given column will win out. o TYPE This allows you to specify what write_*() method will be used. The default is to call write() and let Spreadsheet::WriteExcel make the right call. However, you may wish to override it. Excel::Template will not do any form of validation on what you provide. You are assumed to know what you're doing. The legal types (taken from Spreadsheet::WriteExcel) are: o COMMENT Add a comment to the cell o blank o formula o number o string o url o date_time other write_* methods as defined defined Spreadsheet::WriteExcel would be integrated by request CHILDREN
FORMULA EFFECTS
This will consume one column in the current row. DEPENDENCIES
None USAGE
<cell text="Some Text Here"/> <cell>Some other text here</cell> <cell text="$Param2"/> <cell>Some <var name="Param"> text here</cell> In the above example, four cells are written out. The first two have text hard-coded. The second two have variables. The third and fourth items have another thing that should be noted. If you have text where you want a variable in the middle, you have to use the latter form. Variables within parameters are the entire parameter's value. Please see Spreadsheet::WriteExcel for what constitutes a legal formula. AUTHOR
Rob Kinyon (rob.kinyon@gmail.com) SEE ALSO
ROW, VAR, FORMULA perl v5.14.2 2012-04-29 Excel::Template::Element::Cell(3pm)