Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix command redirection
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Unix command redirection Post 302139392 by swap007 on Saturday 6th of October 2007 03:17:42 AM
Old 10-06-2007
Java Unix command redirection

Hi all,,
Is there any way to redirect the command o/p directaly to a memory location instead of redirecting it to the file??

Last edited by swap007; 10-06-2007 at 06:49 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirection in unix, '<' as opposed to '>'

Greetings, When directing in unix, symbol > means saving. E.g. I can save ls command output into mama like this: ls -f > mama Could someone give me a real example of how the opposite, i.e. symbol < is used?. Could not find its counterpart in Windows (I seem to learn better when i see... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alikun
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix redirection to '&-'

Hi UF family members, I am intermediate in Unix language and scripting.I know the redirection systems in unix,but the below statement confuses me: #!/bin/ksh . $HOME/.profile 2>&- Actually this is an extract from a unix script which was trying to set the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
6 Replies

3. Programming

Java with Unix (Redirection + Piping)

Hi, To explain this question I will have to go into a bit of detail. I hope you don't mind. currently I have a log handler (an already compiled c++ version) and what it does is makes a log file and writes all the unix output (echo, etc) of a script to that log file. To me the log_handler is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluke_perf
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo command and file I/O Redirection

I have a colon-delimited text file of names, addresses and phone numbers. I am trying to write a script that can add additional entries and then sort it alphabetical by last name and resave it to the original file. I am using C shell to script. This is the section of my script that I wish to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup command o/p redirection

Hi I am using nohup command in script(say nohup ls- ltr > somefile 2>&1 & ). I dont want any kind of output to be displayed on screen. When i tried the above nohup it still gives me some out put on screen like 2991 Done >somefile 2>&1 Please you let me know what is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell output redirection help

Hi all, Actually i need to know whether there is any way to redirect the output of shell operations into any file without pipe . Actually my problem is , i run some command & its result is displayed on shell after some calculations on shell, so if i redirect its output to file, it is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection if command help please

#!/bin/bash clear echo "Hello $USER" echo "Do you wish to run this network configuration script ?" read option if($option == 'Y' || 'y' ) then echo " auto eth0 iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.1.161 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wezzyb
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirection in unix

how to redirect a output value to a file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pratima.kumari
1 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

output redirection command

Dear All, ./waf --run scratch/myfirst > log.out 2>&1 The above is a command line to redirect the output to a file called log.out. what is the 2>&1 part for ? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: knowledgeSeeker
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection of file input to command

Hello, I'm new to Unix (working with OS X 10.8.5) and therefore at the beginning of my adventure. If I ask something stupid, then this is not intentional, but simple nescience. :rolleyes: I have a problem with the redirection of text file content to echo. I was experimenting with redirection... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudo
6 Replies
RSH(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RSH(1)

NAME
rsh -- remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh [-Kdnx] [-l username] host [command] DESCRIPTION
Rsh executes command on host. Rsh copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally termi- nates when the remote command does. The options are as follows: -d The -d option turns on socket debugging (using setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -l By default, the remote username is the same as the local username. The -l option allows the remote name to be specified. -n The -n option redirects input from the special device /dev/null (see the BUGS section of this manual page). If no command is specified, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. For example, the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the local file localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" other_remotefile appends remotefile to other_remotefile. FILES
/etc/hosts SEE ALSO
rlogin(1), HISTORY
The rsh command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
If you are using csh(1) and put a rsh in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it will block even if no reads are posted by the remote command. If no input is desired you should redirect the input of rsh to /dev/null using the -n option. You cannot run an interactive command (like rogue(6) or vi(1)) using rsh; use rlogin(1) instead. Stop signals stop the local rsh process only; this is arguably wrong, but currently hard to fix for reasons too complicated to explain here. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 15, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)