Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting to compare two files and to print the difference Post 302139386 by devtakh on Friday 5th of October 2007 09:25:26 PM
Old 10-05-2007
use cmp file1 file2
or
diff file1 file2

what exactly are you looking for?

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare Files and Output Difference

I have to compare two files for any differences, then output the lab and question number for any differences. This is what I currently have: diff lab2.txt lab2answer.txt > lab2compare.txt Though the output doesn't have to be sent to a .txt (or any sort of log), I found that easier, at least... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joesgrrrl
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and print the two lines with difference

I have two files like this: #FILE 1 ABCD 4322 26485 JMTJ 5311 97248 XMPJ 4321 58978 #FILE 2 ABCD 4321 26485 JMTJ 5311 97248 XMPJ 4321 68978 What to do: Compare the two files and find those lines that doesn't match. And have a new file like this: #FILE 3 "from file 1" ABCD 4322 26485... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare selected columns from a file and print difference

I have learned file comparison from my previous post here. Then, it is comparing the whole line. Now, i have a new problem. I have two files with 3 columns separated with a "|". What i want to do is to compare the second and third column of file 1, and the second and third column of file 2. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two columns in two files and print the difference

one file . . importing table employee 119 . . importing table jobs 1 2nd file . . importing table employee 120 . . importing table jobs 1 and would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare / difference between sub-sections of files

Hi there, I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I can't find any posts with information. How can I check the differences between say lines 20 - 200 in file1 and lines 420 - 600 in file2? Thanks in advance for any help! js (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: js8765
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare multiple files and get the difference

Hi all, i have 50 files .data should be same in these 50 files , so my task is to find the difference. i need a logic , which finds difference between all files and print in output file with file name where it found that difference . i tried below logic , but its not giving me what i want. let... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakiniimt
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and output difference

Hi experts, I am trying to compare two text files and output the difference to another file. I'm not strictly looking for differences in text but additional text at the end of one file that isn't in another, so basically comparing the file 2 against file 1 and printing any additional text to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin0852
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk command to compare two files and print first difference

Hello, I have two text files, each with a single column, file 1: 124152970 123899868 123476854 54258288 123117283 file 2: 124152970 123899868 54258288 123117283 122108330 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two variables and print the difference

Hi PRIM_SEQ=`some sql code` and output of PRIM_SEQ is like below 120 130 STB_SEQ=`some sql code` and output of STB_SEQ is like below 115 110 i need to compare this two variables output ( decimal numbers) 1) What I want to do is to compare every number in the PRIM_SEQ with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amar1208
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two variables and print the difference

compare two variables and print the difference i have two variables X1=rac1,rac2 Y1=rac2,rac3 output=rac1,rac3 Use code tags to wrap code fragments or data samples. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
1 Replies
h5diff(1)						      General Commands Manual							 h5diff(1)

NAME
h5diff - Compares two HDF5 files and reports the differences. SYNOPSIS
h5diff file1 file2 [OPTIONS] [object1 [object2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
h5diff is a command line tool that compares two HDF5 files, file1 and file2, and reports the differences between them. Optionally, h5diff will compare two objects within these files. If only one object, object1, is specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object1 in file2. In two objects, object1 and object2, are specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object2 in file2. These objects must be HDF5 datasets. object1 and object2 must be expressed as absolute paths from the respective file's root group. Additional information, with several sample cases, can be found in the document H5diff Examples. OPTIONS
file1 file2 The HDF5 files to be compared. -h Print all differences. -r Print only the names of objects that differ; do not print the differences. These objects may be HDF5 datasets, groups, or named datatypes. -n count Print difference up to count differences, then stop. count must be a positive integer. -d delta Print only differences that are greater than the limit delta. delta must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference of two corresponding values is greater than delta (e.g., |a-b| > delta, where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). -p relative Print only differences that are greater than a relative error. relative must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference 1 and the ratio of two corresponding values is greater than relative (e.g., |1-(b/a)| > relative where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). object1 object2 Specific object(s) within the files to be compared. EXAMPLES
The following h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the object /a/c in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b /a/c This h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the same object in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b And this h5diff call compares all objects in both files: h5diff file1 file2 SEE ALSO
h5dump(1), h5ls(1), h5repart(1), h5import(1), gif2h5(1), h52gif(1), h5perf(1) h5diff(1)