Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Function Trace
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Function Trace Post 302139202 by drl on Thursday 4th of October 2007 11:44:00 PM
Old 10-05-2007
Hi.

You may be able to build something on your own -- see below, among the 300K hits found by Google "bash trap trace" ... cheers, drl
Quote:
# Bash includes the caller builtin, which displays the context of any active subroutine call (a shell function or a script executed with the . or source builtins). This supports the bash debugger.
# The trap builtin (see section 4.1 Bourne Shell Builtins) allows a DEBUG pseudo-signal specification, similar to EXIT. Commands specified with a DEBUG trap are executed before every simple command, for command, case command, select command, every arithmetic for command, and before the first command executes in a shell function. The DEBUG trap is not inherited by shell functions unless the function has been given the trace attribute or the functrace option has been enabled using the shopt builtin. The extdebug shell option has additional effects on the DEBUG trap.

-- excerpt from bash differences

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trace connections

In my organization in order for anyone to go to any Unix server they have to go through "SERVER A" and login as themselves. Then people are free to go enywhere they please. For example: SERVER A, loggs in as himself telnets to SERVER B, loggs in as guest telnets to SERVER C, loggs in as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraitsev
8 Replies

2. IP Networking

trace route ip

hi everybody , i have a solaris 5.6 box and i want to trace the route on an ip i treid traceroute but soalris 5.6 does not support it ... is there a command that can be used equivelent to traceroute ? thanks for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trace DHCP - Help!

Can someone help me with commands to trace DHCP on an HP_UX box? Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuGuy
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to trace a user

on HP-Unix how can i trace user for example "xxx999" ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salhoub
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to supress the trace

Hi I am working in ksh and getting the trace after trying to remove the file which in some cases does not exist: $ my_script loadfirm.dta.master: No such file or directory The code inside the script which produces this trace is the following: ] || rm ${FILE}.master >> /dev/null for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

6. AIX

function trace back and address to line number conversion

Hi, I am new to AIX and I am developing a small tool for our product which helps debug memory leaks etc. Q1)Is there a way in which i can get a function trace back as to the call (lets say malloc() )has been made in which file--> in which function. I tried using the #pragma options (... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wkdunreal
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Log Trace

Hi I would like to display only error messages from my log files while monotring application on my solaris box using tail command. Is there other way we can monitor please let me know? In general # tail -f "xyz.log' ---> this will display current activity of the logs, instead i would like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishnag
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with trace file

Hi, I am an oracle DBA pretty new to unix. We had one of the filesystems full and a colleague cleared some stuffs to create more space. I just checked now and found there is now more space available. How do i find exactly what he cleared? We have oracle database installed and its a RAC... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollypee
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stack Trace

Hi All Thought it would be kind of fun to implement a stack trace for a shell script that calls functions within a sub shell. This is for bash under Linux and probably not portable - #! /bin/bash error_exit() { echo "=======================" echo $1 echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
4 Replies

10. AIX

Trace su to root

Hi, is it possible to trace everything about user that changes from its own user to root user, failed and successful attempts (I would need user and IP address of user that was trying to do that)? I tried adding auth.notice and auth.info in syslog.conf but it only tracks user withoud IP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprehodec
6 Replies
trap(1) 							   User Commands							   trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)