Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Storing string with space
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Storing string with space Post 302139088 by rahul303 on Thursday 4th of October 2007 08:23:20 AM
Old 10-04-2007
Storing string with space

Hi all
I am trying this simple command:
a="abc abc"
echo $a

output is: abc abc
But expected output shoould be :abc abc
i.e spaces in real string are geting truncated to one space everytime.

Plz Help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing space delimited line in var with loop?

I have a script that converts a file into an html table. This script works fine for a 1 column table. However, I'm trying to do this for a multi-column table. My input file will look something like this: a b c d e f g h i My script basically works by taking in each line and putting that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - searching for string and storing in variable

Hi I'm trying to find a way to search a text file for a specific string. I have a file which contains i.p. addresses and port numbers in the following format: 'ip="www.xxx.yyy.zzz"' 'port="xx""' I want to print only the parts between the double quotes for use in seperate variables,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melias
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching and storing unknown number of lines based on the string with a condition

Dear friends, Please help me to resolve the problem below, I have a file with following content: date of file creation : 12 feb 2007 ==================== = name : suresh = city :mumbai #this is a blank line = date : 1st Nov 2005 ==================== few lines of some text this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing string with space (urgent)

hi i have a file content like my_file: 1US8738297897918000 000 000 i used while IFS= read line do echo "$line" | grep '^\ then last=`echo "$line" | cut -c 3-20` echo "$last" fi done < $my_file but it is writing blank spaces into the o/p fie (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting particular string in a file and storing matched string in output file

Hi , I have input file and i want to extract below strings <msisdn xmlns="">0492001956</ msisdn> => numaber inside brackets <resCode>3000</resCode> => 3000 needs to be extracted <resMessage>Request time getBalances_PSM.c(37): d out</resMessage></ns2:getBalancesResponse> => the word... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushmab82
14 Replies

6. Programming

Splitting string and storing in int

I have a string containing 2 integers separated by /, for example 12/8 or 8/6 am want to store the numbers in two integers. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison with a space

Hello Gurus, I've searched enough to find what I wanted and finally ended up creating a thread. I'm in the process of coding something like below sed -n -e "s/.*\(successfully completed\).*/\1/p" xxx.log read status if ] then #sleep 3; echo "Export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajivan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a string and storing it in a variable

Hello I have a script: path=test1 echo "${path%?}" till this the program is successful in deleting hte last character i.e. "1" and displays an output --> test. After this how can i save this output to another variable. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kishore920
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Storing string in array(triangular form)

I have a string like below. Now i want to split this string like below and put the value in the array using awk. I am able to do it using bash but getting no clue for doing it in awk O/P A=0 A=01 A=014 A=0143 A=01438 A=014387 A=0143876 A=01438765 A=014387650 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Finding specific string in file and storing in another file

Text in input file is like this <title> <band height="21" isSplitAllowed="true" > <staticText> <reportElement x="1" y="1" width="313" height="20" key="staticText-1"/> <box></box> <textElement> <font fontName="Arial" pdfFontName="Helvetica-Bold"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aankita30
4 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory SYNOPSIS
fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the -path argument. OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume. Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. EXAMPLES
The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and "fs3.abc.com": % fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHEREIS(1)