Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting creating folder when the string matches Post 302138775 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 3rd of October 2007 11:03:50 AM
Old 10-03-2007
I'm not clear on your requirments it seems like this may be what you want:
1. you know where the pg1 files come from
2. the text file has names of the .TOP files in it, and it does not matter about copying those files.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
cd /path/to/directory
while read filename
do
     base=${filename%%.*}
     mkdir ./"$base"
     cp /path/to/pg1files/"$base".pg1  ./"$base"
done < textfile

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String in text matches folder name

Hi, I need unix shell script that can read the first column of a text file and matching each column string is a folder and i need to read files from the specified folder e.g Main.txt has Mike 690 Jhon 346 i need to read Mike first then open up the files in folder Mike in the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shackman66
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a string in files and reporting matches

Can someone please help me figure out what the command syntax I need to use is? Here is what I am wanting to do. I have hundreds of thousands of files I need to look for a specific search string in. These files are spread across multiple subdirectories from one main directory. I would like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: btrotter
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to create foder when the string matches

hi :) im actually new to shell script ,see here is the program wat it will do is .. i have to create folder at the run time when the string matches ... what to do is im havin text file which carry the file name like ( EngCVer1pg1j01.TOP, EngCVer1pg1m08.TOP, EngCVer1pg1h04,..and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maximas
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all matches in a string with sed

if I have "abxcdxefx" and want to remove the x's with sed, how can I do this? Thanks. WHOOPS: Just remembered: echo "abxcdxefx" | sed s/x//g Thanks for reading, though. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to test if part of a string matches?

How to test if the first 7 characters of a string matches "backup."? This did not work: #!/bin/sh name="backup.20091122" if then echo name is a backup else echo name is not a backup fiThank you. (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get line number when matches a string

If I have a file something like as shown below, ARM*187878*hjhj BAG*88778*jjjj COD*7777*kkkk BAG*87878*kjjhjk DEF*65656*89989*khjkk I need the line numbers to be added with a colon when it matches the string "BAG". Here in my case, I need something like ARM*187878*hjhj... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print only '+' or '-' if string matches (two files)

I would like to add two additional conditions to the actual code I have: print '+' if in File2 field 5 is greater than 35 and also field 7 is grater than 90. while read -r line do grep -q "$line" File2.txt && echo "$line +" || echo "$line -" done < File1.txt ' Input file 1: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bernardo.bello
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display text is string matches below.

I have not idea how I would accomplish this. I have a script that scans for CDP neighbours. I get the results in a file. I am interested in CDP Neighbor Details if name BSWITCH shows up. If BSWITCH is not present then skip. CDP Neighbor Details for 10.200.21.1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
vdiff(1)							    ShapeTools								  vdiff(1)

NAME
vdiff - display line-by-line differences between versions of files SYNOPSIS
vdiff [ diff-options ] [ -base path ] [ -P ] files .. DESCRIPTION
vdiff is a differential comparator for file versions that are stored in shapeTools' object base, AtFS. The functionality of vdiff is very similar to the diff command on your host. All options and switches that are recognized by diff can also be specified for vdiff. The arguments to vdiff can either be a single filename, or a pair of version identifiers. If only a filename is specified, vdiff prints the differences between the specified file and the most recent version of this file that is stored in the AtFS object base. A file can be com- pared to any stored version by specifying the version as first, and the filename as second argument. If both arguments are version identi- fiers, the difference between these two versions is printed. Differences between files and versions can be printed in any style that is supported by the local diff program. Version identifiers consist of the filename, and a version number or alias name for a version, enclosed in brackets. Example: retrieve.c[4.22] or retrieve.c[Rel-4.1] vdiff creates temporary copies of the versions that shall be compared, invokes the diff command, and finally removes the temporary copies. OPTIONS
-base path If vdiff is told to produce a context diff, the filenames of the compared objects are mangeled so that the specified path replaces the path of the current directory in the full pathnames appearing in the diff-header. This is useful to replace an absolute pathname by a relative pathname and makes the produced context-diff easier to digest for the patch program. -P With the -P switch turned on, vdiff won't give up if one of the two objects that shall be compared does not exist. In this case an empty object is substituted for the missing one, causing the diff to be the complete contents of the existing object. This is useful in situations when complex patches are produced that upgrade one release of a software system to a new release, and the system has structurally changed (i.e. new files have been added to the system). SEE ALSO
diff(1), vcat(1) AUTHOR
Axel.Mahler@cs.tu-berlin.de vc_scripts-2.5 Tue Jun 29 16:42:06 1993 vdiff(1)