Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to merge solaris partition Post 302138686 by porter on Wednesday 3rd of October 2007 04:06:17 AM
Old 10-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mansoorulhaq
there is unused space in my hard disk. I want to merge that space into /export/home
Are you refering to the space on /opt (/dev/dsk/c0d0s3) ?

A few main solutions...

1. make a directory in /opt/home and move some home directories in into that, then make symbolic links from /export/home/xxx to those directories.

2. change peoples home directory to /opt/home/xxxx

3. backup your important data and rebuild your system with the newly gained knowledge on how big you want your slices.

4. like 3 but make the whole drive just a swap and root slice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

re-partition disks on solaris

hi all, i was wondering if i have some volume manager and i want to format all partitions/disks and re-create new slices can i use regular format command or what? i think veritas volume manager is already installed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 8 partition - compression

Hi, Anyone know if I have a mount point /data , can it turn on compression like what the MS Windows does ???? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to access a solaris partition

Hi, I have the present scenario on a x86 machine. fdisk c0d0p0 Cylinders Partition Status Type Start End Length % 1 Active Solaris2 1 2500 2500 61 2 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
14 Replies

4. Solaris

How to use FORMAT and PARTITION command on Solaris 9

I am seeking advice from experts in this forum. Please help me. I have tow disks on Sun Sparc box. Disk one has been installed Solaris 9 system. The disk two has been partitioned as one disk with 140 GB on the partition /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s6. Right now, I want to modify it as two partitions. I have... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
8 Replies

5. Solaris

How to get a mail when the partition reaches 75% in solaris

Hi Every one, I am new to Solaris and i want to know how to get a mail when the partition reaches certain Ex-75% percentage, and how to write shell script. I hope some one will help me. Thanks and Regards, Venkatesh. ##edit#by#moderator## don't post your email address here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 1409.venkatesh
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem with Solaris Partition, I cant see it

Hi All, First post, I work as database developer (Oracle) My task is to setup a solaris system on a VMware installation which sits on a x86 server. I have installed the Os, applied patches (I think) and on VMWARE I added new hardware (Disk) which is where my database will be. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: platforminc
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Disabling Solaris 10 active partition

I have a dual boot system with windows xp and solaris 10 running. Solaris 10 is currently in the primary active partision. If it's possible, how do I make the windows partision the primary active one rather than solaris 10? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shakarho
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem - rename the partition

Hi all i got this filesystem Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c0t600A0B80001F350A000033404A5D29D9d0s2 492G 64M 487G 1% /u10 How do i change the name for /dev/dsk/c0t600A0B80001F350A000033404A5D29D9d0s2 to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Upgraded BIOS - cannot see Solaris partition??

I have recently upgraded my Supermicro X10SAT motherboard. I have also a SSD with a Windows10 partition and a Solaris 11.3 partition. Upon boot I press F11 and choose which partition I want to boot into. But after the bios upgrade, I cannot see the Solaris partition when I press "F11" to choose... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
9 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)