Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to compare big real numbers Post 302138512 by porter on Tuesday 2nd of October 2007 05:16:47 AM
Old 10-02-2007
try echo $Result to see what it actually contains.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare decimal numbers

Hi anyone, i need to compare two decimal numbers i thought that it could be do it with if but... :( So, i'm writing in csh and i really apreciate if anyone can help me if ( $ppl_kn <= $ppl_wb ) then echo "############# KNdiscount model has the lowest perplexity" set... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmxps
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Compare Floating point / real numbers

Hai, Can you please guide me, to compare the floating point numbers. Eg. If then echo "value1 is grater " fi This code is not working properly when i excuted with floating values or real numbers (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: padarthy
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare the interval of 2 numbers of input2with interval of several numbers of input1

Help plz Does any one have any idea how to compare interval ranges of 2 files. finding 1-4 (1,2,3,4) of input2 in input1 of same key "a" values (5-10, 30-40, 45-60, 80-90, 100-120 ). Obviously 1-4 is not one of the range with in input1 a. so it should give out of range. finding 30-33(31,32,33)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: repinementer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match real numbers in AWK

I am looking for a better way to match real numbers within a specified tolerance range. My current code is as follows: if ($1 !~ /^CASE/) for(i=1;i in G;i++) if (G >= $5-1 && G <= $5+1) { print $1,$4,$5,J,G } else { print $1,"NO MATCH" } where $5 and G are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cold_Que
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic calculation on real numbers in Bourne Shell Script

I am begining to learn bourne shell and as a practice I have written a script which when given the purchase price and percentage of discount calculates the savings. I somehow cannot figure out why my script fails to do arthimatic calculation on real numbers. Could anyone look at the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

best method to compare 2 big files in unix

Hi , I have a requirement to compare 2 files which can contain 40 million or more records and more than 20 fields to compare . Currently I am using awk scripting , and since awk has a memory issue, I am not able to process file more than 10 million records. Any suggestions or pointers to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare and merge two big CSV files

Hi all, i need help. I have two csv files with a huge amount of data. I need the first column of the first file, to be compared with the data of the second, to have at the end a file with the data not present in the second file. Example File1: (only one column) profile_id 57036226... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirMannu
11 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)