Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Identifying the column number Post 302138039 by ghostdog74 on Friday 28th of September 2007 10:21:56 AM
Old 09-28-2007
go through the fields.
Code:
sar -r | grep 'kbswpcad' | awk '{ for(i;i<=NF;i++){
    if ($i ~ /swpused/) { print i } }
}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

identifying duplicates line & reporting their line number

I need to find to find duplicate lines in a document and then print the line numbers of the duplicates The files contain multiple lines with about 100 numbers on each line I need something that will output the line numbers where duplicates were found ie 1=5=7, 2=34=76 Any suggestions would be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresslog
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning a column number

Hi all, i was doing a small program where if i was to be given the first 3 letters of any month i.e. in the form of Jan or Apr then it would return the column number where it finds a match. To do this i created a 12 element array of months with first 3 letters and if i echo'ed the contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

column number, awk, help

All, $ cat myf.txt A|xyz|1000|mm B|9000|xyz|ss C|BDE|2000|kk D|xyz|1000|nn I am searching "xyz" $ awk -F "|" ' {for(k=0;k<=NF;k++) if ( $k == "xyz" ) print "line="NR"(column="k")" }' myf.txt Output: line=1(column=2) line=2(column=3) line=4(column=2) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dividing a column by it's first number

Hi! Is there an easy way (maybe using awk??) to divide the values of one column of the file by it's first entry.. If I have a column: 3 4 5 6 7 I would like to divide it by 3. I want to do this for more than 100 files, so it wouldn't be practical to open file by file and... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
26 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing a number column

hi All, i have a file in which only one column is there., test.txt ====== -900.01 -900.02 -900.03 -900.04 -900.05 -900.06 -900.07 -900.08 -900.09 900.01 900.02 900.03 900.04 900.05 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mechvijays
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with compare two column and print out column with smallest number

Input file : 5 20 500 2 20 41 41 0 23 1 Desired output : 5 2 20 0 1 By comparing column 1 and 2 in each line, I hope can print out the column with smallest number. I did try the following code, but it don't look good :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

7. Programming

Unique Number Identifying

I'm trying to solve the below problem for a number: Enter a number and if it has all unique digits print unique number else non-unique number. Eg: Input=123; Output=unique number Input=112; Output=Non-unique number The thing i tried is splitting the number into digits by using % operator... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gautham
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split column data if the table has n number of column's

please write a shell script Table -------------------------- 1 2 3 a b c 3 4 5 c d e 7 8 9 f g h Output should be like this --------------- 1 2 3 3 4 5 7 8 9 a b c c d e f g h (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priti2277
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split column data if the table has n number of column's with some record

Split column data if the table has n number of column's with some record then how to split n number of colmn's line by line with records Table --------- Col1 col2 col3 col4 ....................col20 1 2 3 4 .................... 20 a b c d .................... v ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priti2277
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract number from column

I have a lot of file with a lot of lines following the same pattern the lines go like this: alpha_9/output- -413.74928476 2.6116 and I want it to be: 9 -413.74928476 2.6116 thanks for the help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galboski
5 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD