Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting create array holding characters from sring then echo array. Post 302138021 by rorey_breaker on Friday 28th of September 2007 08:31:34 AM
Old 09-28-2007
I am needing to have the characters stored in an array, so that I can compare them easily with a single character.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to declare an array to take more than 10,000 characters

Hi Guys Need some help I am reading the string values from the text files into the shell script and had them feed into array I have declared an associative array as TYPE t_user_id_tab IS TABLE OF VARCHAR2(3000);\n my_user_id t_user_id_tab;\n varchar2 is limiting me to take only... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinky
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

2D Array to display characters

Hi All, I have a series of number which indicates the coordinates where 0104 indicates X-coord = 01 and Y-coord = 04 and i want characters to form up in accordance to the coordinates given. Can any expert give me an example of 2D array code using csh or awk or perl such that the code can... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
16 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Array with special Characters

Hi, I would write a shell script to execute a series of command. However, if the cmd contains "-" in the array. It fails to do so. I'd tried use ', " or \ but get the same result. Output: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donaldfung
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create an array with awk

List, I want to have an array created of a particular item in the following textfile: router> show user Se4/0:29 site1 Sync PPP - Bundle: Di372 Se5/0:29 site2 Sync PPP - Bundle: Di340 router> The array should have 2 entries, site1 and site2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: philipz
2 Replies

5. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Find and echo value in Array

Newbie to bash here. I think this is fairly simple, but I have searched and cannot figure it out. In the code below, I am searching an array for an IP address, and then printing the IP address if found. However, I would like to print the actual variable found such as 2.2.2.2=2, but cannot figure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lozwell
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create an array

Hi, is there a faster way to create an array containing list of numbers? something like the ones below. array=(01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 ... 365) thanks much. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip some characters before putting in array?

Hi Gurus, my current code like below: nawk '{f1 = (NF>1)?$1:""}{print f1, $NF}'|sed -e 's/s(/,/g;s/)//g;s/ *,/,/'|nawk -F"," '{ab}END{for (i in b) if (!(i in a))print i}' I have file like below. (this is autosys job dependencies) the job with s() is dependencies, the job without s() is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
10 Replies
multibyte(3C)															     multibyte(3C)

NAME
mblen(), mbtowc(), mbstowcs(), wctomb(), wcstombs() - multibyte characters and strings conversions SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
A multibyte character is composed of one or more bytes that represent a "whole" character in a character encoding. A wide character (type of is composed of a fixed number of bytes whose code value can represent any character in a character encoding. Determine the number of bytes in the multibyte character pointed to by s. Equivalent to: If s is a null pointer, mblen returns a nonzero or zero value, depending on whether the multibyte character encodings do or do not have state-dependent encodings, respectively. Since no character encodings currently supported by HP-UX are state-depen- dent, zero is always returned in this case. However, for maximum portability to other systems, application programs should not depend on this. If s is not a null pointer, mblen returns the number of bytes in the multibyte character if the next n or fewer bytes form a valid multibyte character, or return -1 if they do not form a valid multibyte character. If s points to the null character, mblen returns 0. Determine the number of bytes in the multibyte character pointed to by s, determine the code for the value of type corresponding to that multibyte character, then store the code in the object pointed to by pwc. The value of the code corresponding to the null character is zero. At most n characters are examined, starting at the character pointed to by s. If s is a null pointer, returns a non-zero or zero value, depending on whether the multibyte character encodings do or do not have state-dependent encodings, respectively. Since no character encodings currently supported by HP-UX are state-dependent, zero is always returned in this case. However, for maximum portability to other systems, application programs should not depend on this. If s is not a null pointer, returns the number of bytes in the converted multibyte character if the next n or fewer bytes form a valid multibyte character, or -1 if they do not form a valid multibyte character. If s points to the null character, returns 0. The value returned is never greater than n or the value of the macro. Determine the number of bytes needed to represent the multibyte character corresponding to the code whose value is wchar and store the multibyte character representation in the array object pointed to by s. At most characters are stored. If s is a null pointer, returns a nonzero or zero value, depending on whether the multibyte character encodings do or do not have state-dependent encodings, respectively. Since no character encodings currently supported by HP-UX are state-dependent, zero is always returned in this case. However, for maximum portability to other systems, application programs should not depend on this. If s is not a null pointer, returns the number of bytes in the multibyte character corresponding to the value of wchar, or -1 if the value of wchar does not correspond to a valid multibyte character. The value returned is never greater than the value of the macro. Convert a sequence of multibyte characters from the array pointed to by s into a sequence of corresponding codes and store these codes into the array pointed to by pwcs, stopping after either n codes or a code with value zero (a converted null character) is stored. Each multibyte character is converted as if by a call to No more than n elements are modified in the array pointed to by pwcs. If an invalid multibyte character is encountered, returns (size_t)-1. Otherwise, returns the number of array elements modi- fied, not including a terminating zero code, if any. The array is not null- or zero-terminated if the value returned is n. If pwcs is a null pointer, returns the number of elements required for the wide-character-code array. Convert a sequence of codes corresponding to multibyte characters from the array pointed to by pwcs into a sequence of multibyte characters and store them into the array pointed to by s, stopping if a multibyte character exceeds the limit of n total bytes or if a null character is stored. Each code is converted as if by a call to No more than n bytes are modified in the array pointed to by s. If a code is encountered that does not correspond to a valid multibyte character, returns (size_t)-1. Otherwise, returns the number of bytes modified, not including a terminating null character, if any. The array is not null- or zero-terminated if the value returned is n. If s is a null pointer, returns the number of bytes required for the character array. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Locale The category determines the behavior of the multibyte character and string functions. ERRORS
and may fail and is set if the following condition is encountered: [EILSEQ] An invalid multibyte sequence or wide character code was found. WARNINGS
With the exception of ASCII characters, the code values of wide characters (type of are specific to the effective locale specified by the environment variable. These values may not be compatible with values obtained by specifying other locales that are supported now, or which may be supported in the future. It is recommended that wide character constants and wide string literals (see the not be used, and that wide character code values not be stored in files or devices because future standards may dictate changes in the code value assignments of the wide characters. However, wide character constants and wide string literals corresponding to the characters of the ASCII code set can be safely used since their values are guaranteed to be the same as their ASCII code set values. AUTHOR
The multibyte functions in this entry were developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
setlocale(3C), wctype(3C), thread_safety(5), glossary(9). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
multibyte(3C)