Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Env Variable substituion in Sed (-s option) Post 302137926 by gvsreddy_539 on Thursday 27th of September 2007 03:14:55 PM
Old 09-27-2007
Env Variable substituion in Sed (-s option)

Folks,
I've been trying to use the ENV variable with slashes(/) in its value inside the sed substitution..

Sed 's/myval/'$MYVAL'/' file1 >> file.tmp

If MYVAL=<sometext>, it works.
if MYVAL=/home/venkat, it doesnt.
bash-2.05$ export VAL=/home/venkat
bash-2.05$ sed 's/myval/'$VAL'/' file1
sed: command garbled: s/myval//home/venkat/
bash-2.05$

I know that we generally escape the / using \, but here the value being substitued during run-time.

Could some1 throw some light on it.

Thx 4 ur time.

--Venkat.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash env variable containing @

I want to set a bash env variable which has @ in its name, for example, @YOGESH@ may i know how do i do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yogesh Sawant
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PWD env variable

Could you please tell me, which process / file is responsible for the setting of PWD env variable in Solaris Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chaandana
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Env Variable

Hi, I have a doubt on Environment variable. I want to know where and when the envirnment variables are defined? Thanks & Regards, Siba (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt on ENV variable

Question 1: If I set ENV=$HOME/myenvprofile.ksh, will my script get executed when ever I login to my with KSH. My doubt is we used to put this in .profile of our home directory. SO when ever I login will it executed? QUestion 2: If I set ENV=`echo "hi"` or 'echo "hi" ', what would be the output.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get env variable from last script

I have 2 scripts t2.sh calls t1.sh. I need to get the vaule of a env variable from t1.sh /tmp/test$ cat t1.sh #!/bin/sh INSTANCE="font/fc-cache" export INSTANCE svcadm disable ${INSTANCE} /tmp/test$ cat t2.sh #!/bin/sh . /tmp/test/t1.sh echo ${INSTANCE} The above works... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Env variable

Hello, I want to cange env variable on SunOS. I tried: export GONGA=$GONGA:/users/BANK1/basic/queues/SARON_SPACE1 it changed it only localy for my session. when i opened a new session (telnet etc') the old value exist. How can I change it to effact all sessions. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Env variable in solaris

Hi, Am installing SAP on Solaris 10. How to set env variables permanently? Reg (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: daggupati453
0 Replies

8. Web Development

Deny from env=env-variable Does not work

(Above from Apache docs). On my system, using: SetEnvIf User-Agent Mozilla IsBad=1 Order allow,deny Allow from all Deny from env=IsBad ...I see that environment variable is set (using phpinfo()) but the page is still served. No errors in the Apache logs. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnurob
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Treat value of variable as env variable

Hi All, I have a requirement where I have a config file, which contains 2 coulmn.values of first column are environmnet variable, whose value is defined in an environment file. In my script I need to read the config file, and get the value of the config file variable from env file. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok2082
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable in awk substituion

I have a file with 20 blank spaces. I want to substitute each blank space for a string, and part of that string should include an incremental number Code while read line3 do awk -v var=${line3} '{i=var; sub("^]*$", "\\&\n@target G0.S"'$i'"\n@type xy"); print $0}'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
1 Replies
Env(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  Env(3pm)

NAME
Env - perl module that imports environment variables as scalars or arrays SYNOPSIS
use Env; use Env qw(PATH HOME TERM); use Env qw($SHELL @LD_LIBRARY_PATH); DESCRIPTION
Perl maintains environment variables in a special hash named %ENV. For when this access method is inconvenient, the Perl module "Env" allows environment variables to be treated as scalar or array variables. The "Env::import()" function ties environment variables with suitable names to global Perl variables with the same names. By default it ties all existing environment variables ("keys %ENV") to scalars. If the "import" function receives arguments, it takes them to be a list of variables to tie; it's okay if they don't yet exist. The scalar type prefix '$' is inferred for any element of this list not prefixed by '$' or '@'. Arrays are implemented in terms of "split" and "join", using $Config::Config{path_sep} as the delimiter. After an environment variable is tied, merely use it like a normal variable. You may access its value @path = split(/:/, $PATH); print join(" ", @LD_LIBRARY_PATH), " "; or modify it $PATH .= ":."; push @LD_LIBRARY_PATH, $dir; however you'd like. Bear in mind, however, that each access to a tied array variable requires splitting the environment variable's string anew. The code: use Env qw(@PATH); push @PATH, '.'; is equivalent to: use Env qw(PATH); $PATH .= ":."; except that if $ENV{PATH} started out empty, the second approach leaves it with the (odd) value "":."", but the first approach leaves it with ""."". To remove a tied environment variable from the environment, assign it the undefined value undef $PATH; undef @LD_LIBRARY_PATH; LIMITATIONS
On VMS systems, arrays tied to environment variables are read-only. Attempting to change anything will cause a warning. AUTHOR
Chip Salzenberg <chip@fin.uucp> and Gregor N. Purdy <gregor@focusresearch.com> perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Env(3pm)