Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace files in multiple folders Post 302137874 by lodey on Thursday 27th of September 2007 09:28:57 AM
Old 09-27-2007
There is 97 dirs that I need to copy and rename the file to. This is why I would like to try and automate the process as much as possible. Is there a way to use the code submitted above but to wildcard the dir input?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in multiple files (Shell script)

hi guys, Suppose you have 100 files in a folder and you want to replace all occurances of a word say "ABCD" in those files with "DCBA", how would you do it ??? jatin (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatins_s
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk find and replace in multiple files

Hi I use the following code to replace ‘.' with ‘N' in my files and keep both versions. awk '{ gsub(/\./,"N"); print }' file_0001.txt > path/to/new/dir/file_0001.txt I need help on how to apply the code to 100 files instead of doing them one file at a time. The files are labeled... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files of type within folder copy multiple results to different folders

Ok question number two: I'd like to search a directory for multiple file types (rar, txt, deb) and depending on what's found, copy those files to folders named Rar, TextFiles, and Debs. I'm looking for speed here so the faster the script the better. I want it to be a function that I pass 1 argument... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find and replace strings in multiple files

Hi All, Iam new to unix, I need to find string and replace it in the file name. Like text_123_0.txt,text_123_1.txt,text_123_2.txt. I need to search 123 and replace it with 234 . Is there any unix command to replace them in single command since i have 5 directories. So i need to go each and every... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldeveloper
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux find and replace in multiple files

Is there a reason why all of these examples of linux find and replace in multiple files use find and grep to pipe into sed or perl. Why not just use sed or perl directly with something like this? sed -i 's/echo/burnbaby/g' booboo*... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in multiple files

Hi, I have php files in main dir and sub dir's as well. I need to find "new mysqli('localhost', 'System', 'xxxxxx', 'System', '3306');" and replace as "new mysqli('localhost', 'unx_sys', 'yyyy', 'unx_sys', '3306');" I tried like: sed 's/new mysqli\(*\)\;$/new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and replace from multiple files

Hello everybody, I need your help. I have a php site that was expoited, the hacker has injected into many php files a phishing code that was discovered and removed in order to have again a clean code. Now we need to remove from many php files that malware. I need to create a script that find and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninocap
2 Replies
XDG-USER-DIRS-UPD(1)						   User Commands					      XDG-USER-DIRS-UPD(1)

NAME
xdg-user-dirs-update - Update XDG user dir configuration SYNOPSIS
xdg-user-dirs-update [OPTION...] [--set NAME PATH...] DESCRIPTION
xdg-user-dirs-update updates the current state of the users user-dirs.dir. If none existed before then one is created based on the system default values, or falling back to the old non-translated filenames if such directories exists. The list of old directories used are: ~/Desktop, ~/Templates and ~/Public. If an old configuration exists it is updated with any new default directories. Additionally, any configured directories that point to non-existing locations are reset by pointing then to the users home directory. This typically happens when the users removed the directory, so they likely don't want to use it anymore. On the first run a user-dirs.locale file is created containing the locale that was used for the translation. This is used later by gui tools like xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update to detect if the locale was changed, letting you to migrate from the old names. xdg-user-dirs-update is normally run automatically at the start of a user session to update the XDG user dirs according to the users locale. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --help Print help output and exit. --force Update existing user-dirs.dir, but force a full reset. This means: Don't reset nonexisting directories to HOME, rather recreate the directory. Never use backwards compatible non-translated names. Always recreate user-dirs.locale. --dummy-output PATH Write the configuration to PATH instead of the default configuration file. Also, no directories are created. --set NAME PATH Sets the XDG user dir with the given name. NAME should be one of the following: DESKTOP DOWNLOAD TEMPLATES PUBLICSHARE DOCUMENTS MUSIC PICTURES VIDEOS PATH must be an absolute path, e.g. $HOME/Some/Directory. FILES
The XDG user dirs configuration is stored in the user-dirs.dir file in the location pointed to by the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable. ENVIRONMENT
The XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable determines where the user-dirs.dirs file is located. SEE ALSO
xdg-user-dir(1), user-dirs.dirs(5), user-dirs.defaults(5), user-dirs.conf(5). XDG
XDG-USER-DIRS-UPD(1)