Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to change only the x first characters of a string? Post 302137777 by Juha on Thursday 27th of September 2007 02:14:20 AM
Old 09-27-2007
How to change only the x first characters of a string?

Hi,

How can I replace x first characters from a string?
I have a file with... say 10000 entries as follows:

What I want to do is change the leading "00" with for example "12"

The leading 00 can be in some files some other 1 or more digits e.g. "1" or "123" or what ever.

What would be the most efficient way of doing this as there might be even 20.000.000 entries in one file.

I wonder if the method could be embedded to a oneliner such as:

perl -i -p -e "s/old/new/g" filename

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string after another string with special characters

Hello everyone, I'm writing a script to add a string to an XML file, right after a specified string that only occurs once in the file. For testing purposes I created a file 'testfile' that looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 6 7 8 9 And this is the script as far as I've managed: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heliode
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

split a string into 3 characters

Hi, I have a requirement like this. String=abcdefghijkl I need to split this string into a substrign each 3 characters and write output into a file. Output: abc def ghi jkl Can any one please help me how can i acheive this Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Find one string, change another string.

Hi, In principle I am searching for a Perl equivalent for this sed command: sed "/TIM_AM_ARGS=/ s/60/1440/" $EDIT_FILE > $TEMP_FILE cp $TEMP_FILE $EDIT_FILE I was wondering if it needs to be like this, or that there other, shorter, alternatives: open (TIMENVFILE, "<$timenvfile") or die... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove characters from a string

Hi. for the following line: Var1=${Array} now Array has text as "{hello there}" how do I remove the {} brackets before assigning the string to Var1? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadow_boi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of characters in a string

Hi there, I have some user input in a variable called $VAR, and i need to ensure that the string is 5 or less characters .... does anybody know how i can count the characters in the variables ? any help would be great, cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get certain characters in a string

Hi Everyone, I have a.txt 12341" <sip:191@vo.my>;asdf=q" 116aaaa<sip:00091@vo.my>;penguin would like to get the output 191 00091 Please advice. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string

Hello Folks.. I need your help .. here the example of my problem..i know its easy..i don't all the commands in unix to do this especiallly sed...here my string.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj_vw_dec2_dfgh_dwq desired output is.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj it's a simple task with tail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change a set of characters between delimiters?

Hi all, I am trying to write a script for renaming some files and I can't understand how to replace a set of characters between delimiters with sed. The current filename is: <ID1>_<ID2>_<DATE>_<ID3>.PDF And I need to get the following: <ID1>_<ID2>_<DATE>_X01<ID2>.PDF I have tried the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartleby
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swap two characters in a string

I want to swap hyphen (-) and underscore (_) in a string. In fact only one will be present. So if it is hyphen I want to make it underscore and if it is underscore I want to make it hyphen. I can write a long code like below. Is there any easy way? #!/bin/ksh typeset -i exists... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
REMQUO(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 REMQUO(3)

NAME
remquo -- floating-point remainder and quotient function SYNOPSIS
#include <math.h> double remquo(double x, double y, int *quo); long double remquol(long double x, long double y, int *quo); float remquof(float x, float y, int *quo); DESCRIPTION
The remquo() functions compute the value r such that r = x - n*y, where n is the integer nearest the exact value of x/y. If there are two integers closest to x/y, n shall be the even one. If r is zero, it is given the same sign as x. This is the same value that is returned by the remainder() function. remquo() also calculates the lower seven bits of the integral quotient x/y, and gives that value the same sign as x/y. It stores this signed value in the object pointed to by quo. SPECIAL VALUES
remquo(x, y, quo) returns a NaN and raises the "invalid" floating-point exception if x is infinite or y is 0. VECTOR OPERATIONS
If you need to apply the remquo() function to SIMD vectors or arrays, using the following functions provided by the Accelerate.framework may give significantly better performance: #include <Accelerate/Accelerate.h> vFloat vremquo(vFloat x, vFloat y, vUInt32 *q); SEE ALSO
math(3), remainder(3) STANDARDS
The remquo() functions conform to ISO/IEC 9899:2011. BSD
December 11, 2006 BSD