Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Set prompt, problems and tricks Post 302137768 by HybridLogic on Wednesday 26th of September 2007 08:05:17 PM
Old 09-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by reborg
It makes a big differnce whether you are using csh or tcsh.

Please post the output of "echo $0" ( without quotes )
Looks like tcsh. I didn't have a .tcshrc file, but I made one by copying my .cshrc file.

%c[[0]n], %.[[0]n] didn't help much (I just got the current dir followed by all the extra syntax as a static) but the HOWTO: Change your Shell Prompt really helped with that table at the bottom.

%~ seems to be exactly what I wanted. Thanks all.

Last edited by HybridLogic; 09-26-2007 at 09:25 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill, set prompt

ok, there is a way to nicely kill a suspended job and to terminate another without using the mass -KILL command. also, how can I set my prompt temporarly without using the .bash_profile that uses the PS1. Thanks:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bitwize
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set prompt in sh

hi, this < setprompt 'set prompt="# "' > is set in C shell. what is the equivalent in sh? thanks (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

set timeout for ssh prompt

Hi all, I want to set a timeout say 10 sec to shh prompt i.e. if no password is enetered for 10 sec prompt should again come to shell. How can this be achieved ?? I am using Linux RHEL 5 and Solaris 10. Pls help. Thanks in adv. VIKAS (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

CWD in prompt only showing the directory when set

Hi Gurus, I am working in tcsh and i set the prompt with this. set prompt = "$cwd>" But I see teh prompt only gets reflected with the directory where I set the prompt. After i cd to another directory it still shows the old directory. Please advise (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinny
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh/csh: set prompt in production to color red

Hi folks This is our prompt at the moment oracle@pinkipinki:/opt/oracle> grep 'set prompt' .cshrc set prompt = "$user@`uname -n`:$cwd> " We wish to have in production the same prompt, but red. Howto do that? I tried a lot a internet manuals, but it doesn't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with expect and set variables

I'm writing a script that'll send a time-stamp to my backup server. I create a file with the name of the current date, send it to my server with scp and rm the file from the local computer. Individually these commands work fine and with a set name the expect scripts also work fine. The problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ktesh564
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set prompt = pwd

Assume that you want to set your prompt to display the current working directory followed by a percent symbol and then a space. The command pwd can be used to display this information, so explain why the following command does not have the expected result: set prompt=" `pwd`'%' " Its a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blockshelf
7 Replies

8. HP-UX

Unable to Set Prompt to current working DIR

HPUX does not recognise \h,\w,\u to display the hostname,working directory and username respectively. So how do i set the PS1 variable to display my current working Directory as my prompt? I also tried PS1=$PWD, But it keeps showing the same directory path as prompt which PWD was holding at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Kulkarni
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any tricks on excluding a set of strings from a file?

Hi, Test file below: $: cat file1 DATE TIME COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 ID 01/10/2013 0800 100 200 300 401 112 01/31/2013 1000 201 123 345 456 107 03/05/2013 1100 150 789 311 789 109 02/15/2013 1500 199 456 234 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problems with set up Cron

Hi I want to set up a cron for every 15 minutes between some hours. Can you tell whether the below command will work. Getting confuse because my time goes from night to next day morning. i want to setup 8 PM to next day 10 AM. */15 20-10 * * * sh abc.sh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raju2016
1 Replies
SU(1)									FSF								     SU(1)

NAME
su - run a shell with substitute user and group IDs SYNOPSIS
su [OPTION]... [-] [USER [ARG]...] DESCRIPTION
Change the effective user id and group id to that of USER. -, -l, --login make the shell a login shell -c, --commmand=COMMAND pass a single COMMAND to the shell with -c -f, --fast pass -f to the shell (for csh or tcsh) -m, --preserve-environment do not reset environment variables -p same as -m -s, --shell=SHELL run SHELL if /etc/shells allows it --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A mere - implies -l. If USER not given, assume root. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for su is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and su programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info su should give you access to the complete manual. su (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 SU(1)