Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: in sed ,to get longest word
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users in sed ,to get longest word Post 302137690 by radoulov on Wednesday 26th of September 2007 10:11:16 AM
Old 09-26-2007
Or something like this with zsh/bash:

Code:
read< <(sort -rn <(for w in $(<file);do w="${w//[,.:\"\'()<>]}"
printf "%d %s\n" "${#w}" "$w";done));printf "%s\n" "${REPLY#* }"

For example:

Code:
bash 3.2.25(1)$ cat file
The Z shell (zsh) is a Unix shell that can be used as an interactive login shell 
and as a powerful command interpreter for shell scripting. Zsh can be thought of 
as an extended bourne shell with a large number of improvements, including some
of the most useful features of bash, ksh, and tcsh.
bash 3.2.25(1)$ read< <(sort -rn <(for w in $(<file);do w="${w//[,.:\"\'()<>]}"
printf "%d %s\n" "${#w}" "$w";done));printf "%s\n" "${REPLY#* }"
improvements

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

whole word substitution in SED

I am trying to substitute something with sed and what I want is to substitute a whole word and not part of a word. ie sed 's/class/room/g' filename will substitute both class and classes into room and roomes which is not what i want Grep for instance can use the -w option or <> grep -w... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gikay01
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word wrap with sed

Hi, I got some timetable in a file but it is all mixed up like this 01:00 hgrtwhrt #104:00 tyergethr05:00 tqqrthd qrth #107:00 qhtrhqerth10:00 qerthrthqr qtrqthr qthrrt11:00 thqrthqrthrr rthgreth #212:00 trhrthrth14:00 wrthwrtwrqrthwrthwr #2116:00 trqhthtr: rthrthr17:00 rtwhtrhwrth rthwrt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whole word with sed?

Hi experts, need a help in SED file=counter.c module=abcd i=http://svn.company.com/svn/${module}/trunk/counter/${file} When i do echo ${i}| sed "s|http://svn.company.com/svn/${module}/trunk/||g"| sed "s|${file}||g" it results in ounter.c (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract word using sed

Hello, I am new to sed and am trying to extract a word using sed. for example i have a line "const TotalAmount& getTotalAmount() const; " in the file test.txt I am trying to extract getTotalAmount() from the line. For this i tried cat test.txt | sed -n 's/.*get*\(\)//p But... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display all the words whose length is equal to the longest word in the text

Hi Guys, I was going some trial and error to see if I can find the longest word in a text. I was using Pipes because they are easier to use in this case. I was stuck on this for a while so I thought I'll get some help with it. I tried this code to separate all the words in a text in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bawse.c
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Longest word in a file

I am trying to write a command on just one line, i.e seperated by ';' and '|' etc, that finds the number of characters in the longest word of a file, preferably using the 'tr' and 'wc' commands. i no that wc shows the number of lines words and characters in a file but im not sure how to use it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty85
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove word with sed

How can I use sed or any utility to remove any word that begins with TRS-, I have tried sed 's/ERA.*//g' but seems not to be working Input: 23 TRS-458-9 345 235 45 TRS-42-5 423 000 76 300 234 Output: 23 345 235 45 423 000 76 300 234 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a particular word with another word in all the xml's under a particular directory with sed

Hi Folks, Could you please advise what will be the SED command to replace a word in all xml's under a particular directory for example let say I rite now at the following below location $ cd /ter/rap/config now under config directory there will be lots of xml file , now my objective is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies
readfile(1F)							   FMLI Commands						      readfile(1F)

NAME
readfile, longline - reads file, gets longest line SYNOPSIS
readfile filename longline [filename] DESCRIPTION
The readfile function reads filename and copies it to stdout. No translation of NEWLINE is done. It keeps track of the longest line it reads and if there is a subsequent call to longline, the length of that line, including the NEWLINE character, is returned. The longline function returns the length, including the NEWLINE character, of the longest line in filename. If filename is not specified, it uses the file named in the last call to readfile. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Typical use of readfile and longline Here is a typical use of readfile and longline in a text frame definition file: . . . text="`readfile myfile`" columns=`longline` . . . ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cat(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
If filename does not exist, readfile will return FALSE (that is, the expression will have an error return). longline returns 0 if a readfile has not previously been issued. NOTES
More than one descriptor can call readfile in the same frame definition file. In text frames, if one of those calls is made from the text descriptor, then a subsequent use of longline will always get the longest line of the file read by the readfile associated with the text descriptor, even if it was not the most recent use of readfile. SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 readfile(1F)