Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris Performance Monitoring Graphing Tool Post 302137649 by suntac on Wednesday 26th of September 2007 05:19:17 AM
Old 09-26-2007
You might want to take a look at MRTG. It is originaly designed to monitor network traffic information and display this in a web environment. however some searching in google will tell you that you can use it for all kinds of stats. CPU, mem use, number of processes,.... etc etc.

Maybe this is something you can use.

Regards,
Johan Louwers.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

squid monitoring tool

hello everybody how are u all. this is mine first post on such a great and big forum. and probably in a wrong section :confused: i need to know about any squid monitoring tool for *.nix. i will be very greatful for ur reply. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usman156
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris open source database and graphing

All, I am looking for some open source database and graphing software to plot some MIB performance data on a Solaris server. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Monitoring Tool

Hi guys, I have 8 Tru64 machines here and i want to monitor them. What open source tool i can use? Like i want to monitor the hard disk space,memory,connectivity etc. Before im using Nagios, is this applicable to UNIX? tnx. jeff (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jefferson
1 Replies

4. Infrastructure Monitoring

Unix Monitoring tool

Hi all, Please let me know the most using, perfect unix monitoring tool and the link for downloading the tool. It should have network server monitoring on all aspect(working users, memory usage, working services, disk space etc). Thanks Rath (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshp
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Network monitoring tool for Solaris 10

Hi All, I was wondering if there is any Network Monitoring Tool for Solaris 10 to monitor a network having hybrid operating systems. I just googled it without success. Hope, experts will guide me to get it. Thanks, Deepak (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
0 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Network monitoring tool for Solaris 10

Hi All, I was wondering if there is any Network Monitoring Tool for Solaris 10 to monitor a network having hybrid operating systems. I just googled it without success. Hope, experts will guide me to get it. Thanks, Deepak (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
7 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

Solaris Performance Monitoring Tools????

Hi, Are there any GUI (preferably web based) Solaris monitoring tools available for the SPARC platform. Just to clarify, when i say GUI, I don't mean buttons to configure the Software, of course that would be a plus, but rather GUI in terms of output, like Graphs. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
6 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

what is the best free monitoring tool?

hello everybody, please could you tell me what is the best monitoring tool "Free" to monitoring sun servers in my DC. BR, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxim42
1 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

How to install Cacti (a system monitoring and graphing solution) with Nginx?

Here's a short tutorial on installing Cacti with Nginx on Linux. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: notblog
0 Replies
MRTG-RRD(1)							       mrtg							       MRTG-RRD(1)

NAME
mrtg-rrd - How to use RRDtool with MRTG SYNOPSIS
After using MRTG for some time you may find some limitations, mostly in the areas of performance and graphing flexibility. These are exactly the areas addressed by RRDtool. To learn more about RRDtool check out its website on http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool RRDTOOL INTEGRATION
When using mrtg with RRDtool you are replacing rateup with the RRDtool perl module RRDs.pm. To enable RRDtool support in mrtg you have to add the line LogFormat: rrdtool to your mrtg config file. MRTG needs access to both the RRDtool perl module RRDs.pm and to the rrdtool executable. If these two items are not installed in locations where perl can find them on its own, then you can use the following two parameters to supply the appropriate directories. For the location of the rrdtool executable you put PathAdd: /usr/local/rrdtool/bin/ or PathAdd: c: rdtoolin For the location of the perl module it would be: LibAdd: /usr/local/rrdtool/lib/perl/ or LibAdd: c: rdtoolinlibperl When you have made this modification to the configuration file, several things will happen when you run mrtg again with the new config file: 1. mrtg will take all your old ".log" files and convert them to ".rrd" format. (The ".log" files don't get touched in the process, so if things don't work out they are still there.) 2. mrtg will use rrdtool to update its databases. These will have a new format called rrd which is totally different than the native log format of the classic mrtg. 3. mrtg will not create any webpages of graphs anymore. It will only query the routers for traffic information and update its rrd data- bases. The advantage of whole thing is that the mrtg will become much faster. Expect the runtime to drop to 20% of the previous value. (I would like to get some feedback on this from folks with large installations.) Mind you, though, while the logging process of RRDtool is very fast, you are also gaining some time by neither creating graphs nor updating webpages. The idea behind this is that it is more efficient to create graphs and webpages on demand by using a cgi script. At the moment there is no official script to do this, but two contributers have created such scripts: One4All aka 14all.cgi This was the first program to take over the webpage creation and graphing task. It has been developed by Rainer Bawidamann rainer.baw- idamann@web.de. You can find a copy on Rainers website: http://my14all.sourceforge.net/ The program comes with its own documentation routers.cgi, servers.cgi and generic.cgi These are other cgi frontends to mrtg running with rrdtool. The main difference between this and 14all is that the web pages it creates are much more stylish than the ones from mrtg. These tools have been written by Steve Shipway steve@steveshipway.org. You can find a copy in http://www.steveshipway.org/software/ The programs come with their own installation instructions. mrtg-rrd The mrtg-rrd script is a CGI/FastCGI application by Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak for displaying MRTG graphs from data in the RRDtool format. It is an intended replacement for the 14all.cgi script. It can make your monitoring system faster because MRTG does not have to generate all the PNG files with graphs every 5 minutes or so. Instead of this the graphs are generated on-demand when the user wants to see them. http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/mrtg-rrd/ Paul C. Williamson has written a more in-depth page on how the whole process works, including some performance figures. You can find his page on http://www.geocities.com/paulcwilliamson/mrtg/rateup2rrd.html FUTURE
Just as a side note: MRTG-3 will be based entirely on rrdtool technology. But don't wait for it ... get going now! AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> 2.16.2 2008-05-16 MRTG-RRD(1)