Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar blockSize problem
Operating Systems Solaris Tar blockSize problem Post 302137561 by lev_lafayette on Tuesday 25th of September 2007 07:54:00 PM
Old 09-25-2007
A mismatch in tar versions can cause this.

Also, if you're dealing with a text file can I recommend compressing the file? Tar doesn't compress, it simply creates an archive.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar: tape blocksize error

When trying to extract a tar file in HP-UX using tar -xvf command it exits with the following error :"Tar: tape blocksize error". Tar file is created using the following command with MKS toolkit(Unix Simulation Kit for Windows env) under Windows 2000 Professional: "$tar -cvf test.tar test.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Blocksize problem restoring file from tape

I was recently given the responsibility of the unix box at our work. Without much training, I now have to go back and restore a file from tape. I'm having some trouble with it. I'm getting an error with the blocksize. The part of the script that does the tar looks like this: tar cvfX... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: citrowske
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change blocksize for in tar command

How can I change the blocksize in tar command? tar cvf test.tar backup.sh a backup.sh 1K If we need to set the blocksize to 20, how to do that? Please advise. Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: tape blocksize error

Hi, I have tar: tape blocksize error when launching # gunzip < TierDB.tar.gz |tar -xvf /data/ora/DREC tar: tape blocksize error Can you please help me ? It is urgent. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar: blocksize

Hi, When doing tar -xvf to untar, some tar versions display the blocksize: “tar: blocksize = 6” my goal is to avoid this message. One way of doing it is to specify the blocksize: tar -xvfb <tar_file> 6 Is there a setting in tar or a tar version to avoid this type of message without... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar: blocksize = 0 - Error message?

Hi All, While viewing tar file using "tar tf file.tar" command, I have received "tar: blocksize = 0" message and while extracting a particular file from the same tar file (file.tar) I have received the same message and nothing is extracted. Above commands ran in a shell script so, I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar doubts - problem with tar

The below tar command works fine for me, tar -cvf - `find ./srcdir -type d` | (cd ./destdir ; tar -xvf - ) but this version is giving error to me: cd ./srcdir && tar -cf - . | gzip -9 | cd ../destdir && gzip -d | tar -xf - error is: gzip: compressed data not read from a terminal.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies
Archive::Tar::File(3pm) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Archive::Tar::File(3pm)

NAME
Archive::Tar::File - a subclass for in-memory extracted file from Archive::Tar SYNOPSIS
my @items = $tar->get_files; print $_->name, ' ', $_->size, " " for @items; print $object->get_content; $object->replace_content('new content'); $object->rename( 'new/full/path/to/file.c' ); DESCRIPTION
Archive::Tar::Files provides a neat little object layer for in-memory extracted files. It's mostly used internally in Archive::Tar to tidy up the code, but there's no reason users shouldn't use this API as well. Accessors A lot of the methods in this package are accessors to the various fields in the tar header: name The file's name mode The file's mode uid The user id owning the file gid The group id owning the file size File size in bytes mtime Modification time. Adjusted to mac-time on MacOS if required chksum Checksum field for the tar header type File type -- numeric, but comparable to exported constants -- see Archive::Tar's documentation linkname If the file is a symlink, the file it's pointing to magic Tar magic string -- not useful for most users version Tar version string -- not useful for most users uname The user name that owns the file gname The group name that owns the file devmajor Device major number in case of a special file devminor Device minor number in case of a special file prefix Any directory to prefix to the extraction path, if any raw Raw tar header -- not useful for most users Methods Archive::Tar::File->new( file => $path ) Returns a new Archive::Tar::File object from an existing file. Returns undef on failure. Archive::Tar::File->new( data => $path, $data, $opt ) Returns a new Archive::Tar::File object from data. $path defines the file name (which need not exist), $data the file contents, and $opt is a reference to a hash of attributes which may be used to override the default attributes (fields in the tar header), which are described above in the Accessors section. Returns undef on failure. Archive::Tar::File->new( chunk => $chunk ) Returns a new Archive::Tar::File object from a raw 512-byte tar archive chunk. Returns undef on failure. $bool = $file->extract( [ $alternative_name ] ) Extract this object, optionally to an alternative name. See "Archive::Tar->extract_file" for details. Returns true on success and false on failure. $path = $file->full_path Returns the full path from the tar header; this is basically a concatenation of the "prefix" and "name" fields. $bool = $file->validate Done by Archive::Tar internally when reading the tar file: validate the header against the checksum to ensure integer tar file. Returns true on success, false on failure $bool = $file->has_content Returns a boolean to indicate whether the current object has content. Some special files like directories and so on never will have any content. This method is mainly to make sure you don't get warnings for using uninitialized values when looking at an object's content. $content = $file->get_content Returns the current content for the in-memory file $cref = $file->get_content_by_ref Returns the current content for the in-memory file as a scalar reference. Normal users won't need this, but it will save memory if you are dealing with very large data files in your tar archive, since it will pass the contents by reference, rather than make a copy of it first. $bool = $file->replace_content( $content ) Replace the current content of the file with the new content. This only affects the in-memory archive, not the on-disk version until you write it. Returns true on success, false on failure. $bool = $file->rename( $new_name ) Rename the current file to $new_name. Note that you must specify a Unix path for $new_name, since per tar standard, all files in the archive must be Unix paths. Returns true on success and false on failure. $bool = $file->chmod $mode) Change mode of $file to $mode. The mode can be a string or a number which is interpreted as octal whether or not a leading 0 is given. Returns true on success and false on failure. $bool = $file->chown( $user [, $group]) Change owner of $file to $user. If a $group is given that is changed as well. You can also pass a single parameter with a colon separating the use and group as in 'root:wheel'. Returns true on success and false on failure. Convenience methods To quickly check the type of a "Archive::Tar::File" object, you can use the following methods: $file->is_file Returns true if the file is of type "file" $file->is_dir Returns true if the file is of type "dir" $file->is_hardlink Returns true if the file is of type "hardlink" $file->is_symlink Returns true if the file is of type "symlink" $file->is_chardev Returns true if the file is of type "chardev" $file->is_blockdev Returns true if the file is of type "blockdev" $file->is_fifo Returns true if the file is of type "fifo" $file->is_socket Returns true if the file is of type "socket" $file->is_longlink Returns true if the file is of type "LongLink". Should not happen after a successful "read". $file->is_label Returns true if the file is of type "Label". Should not happen after a successful "read". $file->is_unknown Returns true if the file type is "unknown" perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Archive::Tar::File(3pm)