Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Quad Ethernet
Operating Systems Solaris Quad Ethernet Post 302137538 by porter on Tuesday 25th of September 2007 02:28:50 PM
Old 09-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshapiro
Basically, I am trying to team these ports together for automatic failover.
How would the OS know which interface to use for outgoing packets?

How would it know one had failed, how would it decide to switch over?

BTW, are the MAC addresses different?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Quad Fast Ethernet Card on Sparc 10?

I am having a problem getting my configuration to stick. After I installed my quad-card I did the following: 1. created hostname.qe0, hostname.qe1, hostname.qe2, hostname.qe3 files in my /etc directory. 2. In my /etc/hosts file I added the ip address of each interface and the name for each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jskillet
7 Replies

2. BSD

Quad Booting...

Ok so currently I have XP and Slack booting on my laptop, the next two goals will be FreeBSD and Windows Server 2003, in that order (though I may need to start over and do server before unix/linux. Either way, how I got linux interacting nicely with XP was via this link: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jboswell
1 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Quad or Duel Processors

Which hardware configuration gives you the best though put for processing? 1.) Quad CPU at 2 GHZ 2.) Dual CPU at 3 GHZ and More Memory. We currently have setup #1, I want to upgrade the server and I am investigating hardware configurations. Wanted to know if set #1 gives better though put... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gar stupid quad booting

well running win xp home win xp pro and linux suse 10 about to install freebsd 5.1 just wondering what problems :mad: im gonna have and any handy tips :rolleyes: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lord_of_pie
0 Replies

5. Solaris

quad card configuration

Hi Group, I Have just installed quad card in my V440 machine, I am facing problem I cn just ping its ce0 card only rest of the cards are not ping able, here is details of my machine. ifconfig -a lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameergrover
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

how can i know this processor quad or dual core ?

hi every body i want to know if i have server with hp-ux os if i did "machinfo" i will see no of cpu = for example 16 how can i know this is dual or quad core . thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
2 Replies

7. AIX

vio server ethernet to vio client ethernet(concepts confusing)

Hi In the vio server when I do # lsattr -El hdisk*, I get a PVID. The same PVID is also seen when I put the lspv command on the vio client partition. This way Im able to confirm the lun using the PVID. Similarly how does the vio client partition gets the virtual ethernet scsi client adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to Check Memory if Single/Dual/Quad Rank

What command in redhat linux to know your memory if it is single, dual or quad rank. Anyone? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mujakol
2 Replies
if_mpadm(1M)                                              System Administration Commands                                              if_mpadm(1M)

NAME
if_mpadm - change operational status of interfaces within a multipathing group SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/if_mpadm -d interface_name /usr/sbin/if_mpadm -r interface_name DESCRIPTION
Use the if_mpadm utility to change the operational status of interfaces that are part of an IP multipathing group. If the interface is operational, you can use if_mpadm -d to detach or off-line the interface. If the interface is off-lined, use if_mpadm -r to revert it to its original state. When a network interface is off-lined, all network access fails over to a different interface in the IP multipathing group. Any addresses that do not failover are brought down. Network access includes unicast, broadcast, and multicast for IPv4 and unicast and multicast for IPv6. Addresses marked with IFF_NOFAILOVER do not failover. They are marked down. After an interface is off-lined, the system will not use the interface for any outbound or inbound traffic, and the interface can be safely removed from the system without any loss of network access. The if_mpadm utility can be applied only to interfaces that are part of an IP multipathing group. OPTIONS
The if_mpadm utility supports the following options: -d interface_name Detach or off-line the interface specified by interface_name. -r interface_name Reattach or undo the previous detach or off-line operation on the interface specified by interface_name. Unless the -d option was used to detach or off-line the interface, this option will fail. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Detaching an Interface Use the following command to off-line or detach the interface. All network access will failover from hme0 to other interfaces in the same IP multipathing group. If no other interfaces are in the same group, the operation will fail. example% if_mpadm -d hme0 Example 2: Reattaching an Off-line Interface Use the following command to undo the previous operation. Network access will failback to hme0. example% if_mpdadm -r hme0 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), in.mpathd(1M), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
off-line failed as there is no other functional interface available in the multipathing group for failing over the network access. This message means that other interfaces in the group are failed over already or the multipathing configuration was not suitable for com- pleting a failover. off-line cannot be undone because multipathing configuration is not consistent across all the interfaces in the group. This message means that some interfaces in the IP multipathing group are not configured consistently with other interfaces in the group, for example, one of the interfaces in the group does not have an IFF_NOFAILOVER address. SunOS 5.10 3 Sep 2002 if_mpadm(1M)