Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search and replace the whole line Post 302137509 by radoulov on Tuesday 25th of September 2007 11:25:57 AM
Old 09-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jartan
Hi radoulov,

I tried your option but again it does replaces all the occurences of sun4v but i want to look for that line and replace the occurence only in that line.
[...]
Could you post a sample from your file?
What's your OS and sed version?

Oops, sorry, I had to insert the hole pattern Smilie

Code:
sed -e '
1s#SOURCEFILE=/usr/platform/sun4v/driver/file.cfg#SOURCEFILE=/usr/platform/sun4x/driver/file.cfg#;t' -e\ 
'1,/SOURCEFILE=\/usr\/platform\/sun4v\/driver\/file.cfg/s//SOURCEFILE=\/usr\/platform\/sun4x\/driver\/file.cfg/
' filename

And, of course (from the FAQSmilie):
Quote:
If you know the pattern *won't* occur on the first line, omit the
first -e and the statement following it.

Last edited by radoulov; 09-25-2007 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Correction

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search and replace in next line

Hello, I am hoping someone can provide some guidance on using context based search and replace to search for a pattern and then do a search and replace in the line that follows it. For example, I have a file that looks like this: <bold>bold text </italic> somecontent morecontent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: charissaf67
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for a string ,replace the whole line with new line

hai i am very new to unix. i am having two files like this. first.properties cache.ZA.TL_CCY=SELECT trim(CCY_CODE)||trim(COUNTRY_CODE)||trim(CITY_CODE) AS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and replace the whole line

Hi All, I have a requirement where I have to find a pattern in a file and comment the whole line containing the search pattern. Any ideas in shell is welcome. Thanks in advance, Regards, Arun (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search Parameter in first line and replace next line content

Hi, I need help. I have XML file as below &lt;a n=&quot;infoLevel&quot;&gt; &lt;v s=&quot;true&quot;/&gt; &lt;/a&gt; &lt;a n=&quot;localAddr&quot;&gt; &lt;v s=&quot;server.host.com&quot;/&gt; &lt;/a&gt; &lt;a n=&quot;ListenPort&quot;&gt; &lt;v s=&quot;21111&quot;/&gt; &lt;/a&gt; I need to find variable "ListenPort" in line and then replace... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdtrivedi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi-Line Search and Replace

There appears to be several threads that touch on what I'm trying to do, but nothing quite generic enough. What I need to do is search through many (poorly coded) HTML files and make changes. The catch is that my search string may be on one line or may be on several lines. For example there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bisbell
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search and replace a line in perl

Hi All, i can replace a perticular value in sentence using perl. perl -pi -e 's/old/new/' sample.txt but i am not able to replace whole string by perl. file1 contains "jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.147.109.211)(PORT=1526))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID= MWDBD22)))". i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search text and replace line next to it

I have a file which requires modification via a shell script. Need to do the following: 0. take input from user for new text. 1. search for a keyword in the file. 2. replace the line next to this to this keyword with user supplied input. for e.g., my file has the following text: (some... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chingupt
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies
getconfig(5)							File Formats Manual						      getconfig(5)

NAME
getconfig - meta configuration files for getconfig(1) SYNOPSIS
*.cfg DESCRIPTION
getconfig is a programmatic interface that is used by the XFree86 server to get configuration information about video hardware when operat- ing without an XF86Config file. This implementation of getconfig is written in perl. It processes rules from meta-configuration files. All meta-configuration files have a .cfg suffix. Lines starting with a pound-sign (#) are comments, and are ignored. Blank lines that consist only of white space are also treated as com- ments and ignored. The first non-comment line must be a signature string followed by the file format version number. The signature string is "XFree86 Project getconfig rules file. Version: " The currently defined version is "1.0". Files that do not have the correct signature string are ignored. The remaining non-comment lines define rules. The start of a new rule is indicated by a line with no leading white space. Subsequent lines making up a rule must be indented with white space. Logical lines within a rule may be split over multiple physical lines by using the usual continuation convention ('' at the end of the line). The first logical line of each rule is a perl expression. It may be any valid perl expression whose evaluated (with 'eval') result may be used as the argument to a perl 'if' statement. The second logical line should be the name of the XFree86 video driver to use when the rule is true, and subsequent logical lines of each rule, if present, are additional configuration output for the video device's XF86Config Device section. The driver name and additional lines of configuration information are written to standard output when the rule is chosen as the successful rule. Pseudo rules consisting of perl expressions may be present in the file for the purpose of defining custom perl variables or setting the weight to use for the following rules. Pseudo rules are rules that consist of a single logical line only, and they are never candidates themselves for the successful rule. Several perl variables are pre-defined, and may be used within rules. They include: $vendor PCI vendor ID $device PCI device ID $revision PCI revision ID $subsys PCI subsystem ID $subsysVendor PCI subsystem vendor ID $class PCI class $sbuspath SBUS path $XFree86Version XFree86 version, as a 'v' string $XFree86VersionNumeric XFree86 numeric version $XFree86VersionMajor XFree86 major version $XFree86VersionMinor XFree86 minor version $XFree86VersionPatch XFree86 patch version $XFree86VersionSnap XFree86 snap version $weight current rule weight The $weight variable determines the weight of the rules as they are processed. The weight for subsequent rules may be set with a pseudo rule that sets or changes the value of $weight. The default weight, and the weight used for built-in rules is 500. The meta-configuration files are processed in an unpredictable order. The weighting of the rules is used to determine their relative priority After processing all of the rules, both built-in and those read from the meta-configuration files, the getconfig program chooses as the successful rule the last and highest weighted rule that evaluates to true. FILES
.cfg files located in the search path. The search path typically specified by the XFree86 server is: /etc/X11 /usr/X11R6/etc/X11 <modulepath> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/getconfig where <modulepath> is the XFree86 server's module search path. /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/getconfig/xfree86.cfg Default rules file that gets installed. This file doesn't contain any rules by default. /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/getconfig/cfg.sample A sample rules file that gives some examples of what types of rules can appear in rules files. SEE ALSO
getconfig(1), XFree86(1), XF86Config(5). AUTHORS
The XFree86 automatic configuration support and the getconfig interface was written by David H. Dawes, with the support of X-Oz Technolo- gies. XFree86 Version 4.7.0 getconfig(5)