Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl questions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl questions Post 302137438 by Yogesh Sawant on Tuesday 25th of September 2007 04:36:08 AM
Old 09-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated1
2. search files for a pattern and count the matching occurances?
Check this perl script:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
# count_this.pl 
use strict;
my $to_search = shift;
my $count = 0;
while (<>) {
    while (m/$to_search/g) {
        $count++;
    }
}
print "$to_search found $count times \n";

Run this script as:
Code:
[ysawant@in-gcs-nas1 temp]$ perl count_this.pl Name sample.xml 
Name found 6 times 
[ysawant@in-gcs-nas1 temp]$

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and Perl interaction questions

hi. i´m working in bash and am trying to create a Perl daemon that controls bash´s behavior. this is actually in preparation for a later project i´ll be working on. basically, i´m looking for a way to have the Perl daemon tell bash what to do. i already have a small daemon that simply prints... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deryk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: answering automatically to install questions

Hi everybody, I have been looking for an answer to this issue both on google and on the forum, but I couldn't find anything. please help me :eek: As part of an automated (in perl) install of Solaris 9, I would like to be able to answer automaticaly to the question the installer asks.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaap
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

chess perl program questions

Hello guys, While going over the book, I ran into this chess program and I have few questions 1) on line 40), why is not $chessboard-> ) ??? 40 unless (defined $chessboard->) { 2) 20 foreach my $i (reverse (0..7)) { #Row 1 #!/usr/bin/perl -w 2 # 3 # 4 5 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl questions - more

More questions for Perl on Windows (again I apologize its on windows... ) 1. How can I check free disk space on a drive in windows using perl command in a script? 2. How can I check processes running using perl command (as I would normally be able to see in task manager for example) 3. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to answer the Questions in Perl .

I need to write a script to telnet or ssh a device the execute some commands in device then copy the output in a file, I wrote the script but I faced one issue, when you execute some commands the device asked me a Question, for example : device # copy run tftp device # Source filename ? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkSoul
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl newbie questions!

Hi, So I started to learn perl a few days ago, and I have some problems... One of my problems... #!C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe -w use LWP::Simple; print "Content-Type: Text/Plain\n\n"; sub pagelinks { return @all = get($_) =~ /href\s*=\s*"?(+)/gis; } @a =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: byte1918
5 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Debug Stepping Answering Questions

I am new to perl and want to get a little better understanding of debugging code in perl. I have a perl script that has questions to be answered like: he following PERL modules are recommended: Crypt::DES Crypt::PasswdMD5 IO::Pty Net::Write::Layer2 String::CRC32 Attempt to install... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
0 Replies

9. Programming

PERL: In a perl-scripttTrying to execute another perl-script that SETS SOME VARIABLES !

I have reviewed many examples on-line about running another process (either PERL or shell command or a program), but do not find any usefull for my needs way. (Reviewed and not useful the system(), 'back ticks', exec() and open()) I would like to run another PERL-script from first one, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)