Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can i reinstall unix or solaris if i can't log into the system? Post 302137342 by stocksj on Monday 24th of September 2007 11:53:44 AM
Old 09-24-2007
I have a SunBlade 150 and have the same problem. I can read the cd's or dvd, but when I try to boot from cdrom I get the same message " can't open disk label package".

Is there any workaround to boot from cd? I bought a used 150 and it came running Solaris8 and has a 988mb root partition and I need to increase to size. I perfer to reinstall from cdrom and run Solaris 10.

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Log for Sun Solaris 2.6

G'day. I have some questions on the Sun Solaris 2.6 OS. I would appreciate if you could refer me some write up or information on the following questions. 1. Terminal Time Out feature ? - Is this OS capable of doing this ? If the terminal is idle for a certain time of period. The system should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbtan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

rsh commands not getting executed from Solaris 10 System to AIX System

Hi Friends, I am trying to execute rsh commands from Solaris 10 system to AIX system. When I give; Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ls -l , it gives me an error rshd : 0826-826 The host name for your address is not known At the same time, Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ---- gives me remote shell of... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
25 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Informix install on Solaris(unix) system help

Hi, I have been given the task of installing Informix 10.00 FC5 on a Sunfire V100 running Solaris 10. The plan is to restore the last Informix backup from tape and test it on the V100 which is in our test/devel environment. I have never worked with Informix and Solaris admin is still pretty... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Unable to boot the system "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix"

Hi All, I have installed Solaris 10 on my AMD 64 3000+ system. I was playing with grub commands eeprom and bootadm commands. I screwed my boot-file and now am unable to boot the system. Gets error msg as "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix". I booted the system is filesafe and tried update the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath K V
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reinstall Solaris?

Hey! I'm new here, and excuse my complete lack of knowledge as a total newbie. I've recently started a new job managing a nightclub, and we have 3 sun terminals installed that customers are able to use in the lounge area. However, we can't seem to log onto them as the old tech guy left on bad... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snogthefrog
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

reinstall identical system?

I have my Ubuntu system nicely tailored to my needs, with specific software installed, and other things removed. I'd like to build a new PC, and have the identical software configuration on it. Is there some easy way to export the list of installed software to a file? Then have the new machine... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Upgrading a system from two pCPU to four pCPU, need RHEL reinstall?

Hello guys, I'm running RHEL on a Cisco UCS system provided by four CPU sockets but with only two CPUs filled in (so two CPU sockets are empty). I'd like to upgrade my system adding two other CPUs (of the same type). Do I need to reinstall the OS after the upgrade or RHEL will seamlessly manage... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: azzo1
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Can't reinstall Solaris 11.3 - no more disk slots available

I tried to reinstall GRUB2 on my previous Solaris 11.3 installation but could not figure out why "bootadm install-bootloader" failed. Now I am trying to reinstall Solaris 11.3 instead, over my old Solaris partition. I am using the USB Live media ISO with the GUI. Installation fails with this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Cannot start system-log on Solaris 10

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.. I am having the following issue that need your advice. I am configuring syslog on Solaris 10. I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf by adding the following entry: *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;auth.debug;user.debug;local6.info @<IP Address of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
7 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)