Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed in writing awk script for xml source Post 302137225 by naren_0101bits on Monday 24th of September 2007 12:36:31 AM
Old 09-24-2007
Question Help needed in writing awk script for xml source

Hi, i am not able to get an approach for converting xml file to flat file using awk programming. Can anyone help me out.

The input xml is like this:

<outer>
<field1>one</field1>
<field2>two</field2>
<field3>three<Error Code=777 Description=12345/></field3>
<field4>four</field4>
</outer>

Expected output is like this:

field1 field2 field3 field4 Code Description
one two three four 777 12345

The field1, field2, ... should not be hardcoded.

Thanks in advance,
Naren

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

hi help in writing awk script(urgently)

hi to all i have file like this file.txt this is naryana expect hyderabad is a cool place now climate VISAKHSAPATNAM became very cool #vizag is my birth place #hyderabad is a cool place #now climate of hyd became very cool #vizag is my birth place #hyderabad is a cool place ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAKSHMI NARAYAN
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

plz help in writing awk script

hi buddies pls help in this matter i have file like this input file -------------------------- (PARTITION PARTITION_1 VALUES LESS THAN (101, 16383 ) TABLESPACE PART_1 ,PARTITION PARTITION_2 VALUES LESS THAN (101, 32766 ) TABLESPACE PART_2 ,PARTITION PARTITION_3 VALUES LESS THAN (101,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAKSHMI NARAYAN
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for writing a script

I have a requirement to write a script to get the number of errors generated during a time period. How can I achieve this. To be exact, I need to get the number of 404 or 500 errors generated during a time period from 01 to 02 hrs from a webserver access log. Any help will be appreciated.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram_1978
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

needed help in writing a script!

Hi all, I needed help in writing a script for the following question.please help. Non-recursive shell script that accepts any number of arguments and prints them in the Reverse order. (For example, if the script is named rargs, then executing rargs A B C should produce C B A on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing xml using awk - more help needed

As per another thread - https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/81027-how-can-i-parse-xml-file-2.html I am using the following to extract the Subaccid and RecAccTotal from the xm file below awk -v v=SubaccId -F'' '$2==v{s=$3;getline;a+=$3}END {for (i in a)print v,i,a}' file Can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in writing a script

when i run a command the output is something like this: #3136 0.872914 01/17/08 22:06:36 #24817 1.231532 01/18/08 05:00:44 #15371 1.291679 01/18/08 03:00:08 #21279 2.130480 01/18/08 04:03:16 #7835 27.892056 01/18/08 00:01:32 i need to check if any one of the second column is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cybersandex
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need script to get xml access export from source server

Hi, I need a shell script to create to get XML access export from the source server. Thanks in Advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcb
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in writing a menu driven script

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me write a shell script in Linux that backsup/restores data to anywhere I choose but it needs to be menu driven? Thanks, I'm new to Linux/Unix but liking it so far...just hoping to get to grips with the scripts! :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicole
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for parsing large XML with awk.

My XML structure looks like: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <SearchRepository> <SearchItems> <SearchItem> ... </SearchItem> <SearchItem> ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jasonjustice
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing xml from excel sheet .xls using perl script

Hi all. I am working on the below requirement of generating .xml file from .xls file which i have , can someone please help me or in writing the perl script for the same: The xls file format is as below which has two columns and number of rows are not fixed: Fixlet Name ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
12 Replies
XML2(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   XML2(1)

NAME
xml2 - convert xml documents in a flat format 2xml - convert flat format into xml html2 - convert html documents in a flat format 2html - convert flat format into html csv2 - convert csv files in a flat format 2csv - convert flat format into csv SYNOPSIS
<xml2|2xml|html2|2html|csv2|2csv> > outfile < infile DESCRIPTION
There are six tools. Except csv2 and and 2csv they don't take any command-line arguments. They are all simple filters which can be used to read files from standard input in one format and output it to standard output in another format. The flat format used by the tools is specific to these tools. It is a syntax for representing structured markup in a way that makes it easy to process with line-oriented tools. The same format is used for HTML and XML; in fact, you can think of html2 as converting HTML to XHTML and running xml2 on the result; likewise 2html and 2xml. (Of course, this isn't how the implementation works.) SEE ALSO
This program does normally not include any documentation in form of manpages. However it has a real excellent documentation online with a lot of example. In fact this manpage was based on this documentation. Please find it on: http://dan.egnor.name/xml2/ref Examples can be found here: http://dan.egnor.name/xml2/examples AUTHOR
xml2 was written by Dan Egnor. This manpage was written by Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@in-medias-res.com> for the Debian project, but may be used by others under the same terms as xml2 is distributed. BUGS
Bugs can be reported through the Debian Bug tracking system. 7h february 2008 XML2(1)