Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How do we create a shell?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do we create a shell? Post 302137165 by wraith on Sunday 23rd of September 2007 07:04:00 AM
Old 09-23-2007
How do we create a shell?

Alright. I hate to be "that guy" but i seriously need some guidance with creating a UNIX shell. I have it as an assignment for my current sem. We are expected to use C and the shell should be capable of executing around 20 basic commands that we use in UNIX.

I am seriously lost with this. I've read a tutorial about using system calls such as execve, fork, wait, etc. but that was implemented using java. Since i don't really know java, that didn't help with anything other than giving me a vague idea about what i have to do.

Can anyone help? Any kind of C specific tutorial would be highly appreciated. If there's anyone who could point me in the right direction and suggest some reading which might directly or indirectly help me in my efforts, then that would be great too.

Thanks a lot...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How do I create desktop icons for the shell programs I create???

I am a bash shell programmer and I create programs on occasional basis. Now, I dont want my programs to be run by typing out its name at a command line. I want to make it as user friendly as possible. I want to create icons on the desktop so users can click on it. mind you, I said "desktop... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a shell script

create a shell script that process a file file contain f2f_100.txt 1234 kkk 12345 f2f_101.txt 1234 mmm 11111 retire_200.txt 2222 rrr 22222 retire_201.txt 1112 qqr 12122 output needed if first field is f2f then new file fb_$1 contain $2|$4 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maykap100
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a report using shell

hi suppose I want to create a report where it will shows the machine name, the date & time when the report is produced. can anyone please help me to write such shell script? requesting all. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moco
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a unix shell

Hello, Can somebody help me find tutorials or example for creating a basic unix shell with minimal functionalities. I am a beginner and want to know about how really the shell works. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pleaseteachmeun
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to create a shell

hi , this is girish, i need an help for creating a shell (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcgirishbabu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to create shell script.

When i run the following command it shows me following o/p # prtpicl -v -c temperature-sensor | sed -n '/T_TCORE/,/:name/ p' | grep Temperature 61 Temperature 62 i want to put this command in shell script so that when i run the script it says ********************* Proc1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Shell Script

Create a script to do the following : a. Poll for ctl file abc.ctl b. if the ctl file is found, then check for corresponding dat file(abc.dat) c. if dat file is not found then fail the process e. if dat file is found do file validation File Validation: a. Check the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How I can create this Shell scripts?

Hi friends you can solve my question about make 3 shell scripts? Thanks for all! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dakota
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to create one's own pipe in one's own shell?

Good evening, I'm trying to do my own shell and I encountered some issues while creating it. Indeed when I try such a command I have DAUPHINE> DAUPHINE> ls -l | grep terminal > fichier DAUPHINE> cat fichier My shell is named DAUPHINE Whereas I should have: Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntoineCompagni
0 Replies
SIMPLYHTML(1)						      General Commands Manual						     SIMPLYHTML(1)

NAME
simplyhtml -- A Java editor based on HTML and CSS. SYNOPSIS
simplyhtml [no_options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the simplyhtml command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. Instead, it has online documentation (see Help menu in SimplyHTML). Project Description With project SimplyHTML an application is built for working with text documents. Text documents are stored in HTML and CSS format, but the application is meant as a word processor rather than a code editor or web site builder. Open to the maximum SimplyHTML is built with the aim to document as much of its functionality and usage as possible. The application is written in Java and distributed with full source codes. By using Java, HTML, CSS and PDF all parts of the project are 100% platform independent and can be used on almost any machine. Extensive documentation Source codes are commented in Javadoc format and additional inline comments. The sources are created with good legibility and structure in mind. In addition, an extensive tutorial is delivered covering both usage of the application and its internals. The tutorial is available in JavaHelp format and can be used as online help out of SimplyHTML. Or it can be read with a plain web browser. A PDF version of the tutorial is avalable too. Why another HTML editor? SimplyHTML is not an HTML editor in first place. It is a text processing application being based on HTML and CSS files. Although it has a simple HTML editor built in as well, the application focuses on text processing rather than web page creation. SimplyHTML tries to distinguish from comparable applications by combining simplicity, ease of use and transparency for both users and developers. OPTIONS
This program does not have any option. Just start it! ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DEBUG If this environment variable is set, SimplyHTML gives more information on how it finds its different elements, as well as some other information. JAVACMD Default value for the java virtual machine (the java command). JAVA_BINDIR If $JAVACMD is not set, the java virtual machine is searched under $JAVA_BINDIR/java. JAVA_HOME If $JAVACMD and $JAVA_BINDIR are not set, the java virtual machine is searched under $JAVA_HOME/bin/java. PATH If all $JAVA... environment variables fail, the java virtual machine command (java) is searched in the $PATH (with which). CLASSPATH ADD_JARS The $CLASSPATH variable also lets one specify additional jars, which is good, if you want to add a new Look&Feel jar (the motif one is so ugly...). Alternatively, the content of $ADD_JARS will be prepended to $CLASSPATH. FILES
/usr/bin/java If all searches through environment variables fail, the java virtual machine is expected to be /usr/bin/java; if not, simplyhtml exits with an error. SEE ALSO
The online documentation under http://simplyhtml.sf.net/, especially the Linux related one under the Wiki page link http://simply- html.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/SimplyHTML_on_Linux. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Eric Lavarde deb@zorglub.s.bawue.de for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version pub- lished by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. SIMPLYHTML(1)