Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Monitoring network traffic using snoop Post 302137093 by mansoorulhaq on Saturday 22nd of September 2007 04:26:42 AM
Old 09-22-2007
Monitoring network traffic using snoop

I want to monitor network traffic. For this purpose i use snoop command. But snoop command only show those packets which are broadcasted or those packets which recieved by host. But I want to examine whole network traffic. Please tell me how to use snoop for monitoring whole network traffic or if there is any other command/tool for monitoring network traffic.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring network traffic

there are commands to monitor the memory, paging, io... how about network traffic. i mean commands to see whether the network traffic (LAN) is congested? the closest i got is netstat thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

How to capture network traffic

Hi, Can someone give me the clue on how to capture network traffic at gateway. Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
2 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Network Traffic

Hi all, Got a strange one here, well not so much strange, different :-) I need to work out if a server is particulary chatty, whether its talking / communicating heavily to a particular server, as Im planning to physically move the server to a different server, over a link. Hence the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIC card monitoring traffic question

Folks; I have 2 NIC cards on my SUSE Linux server. One of them was reporting receive errors for a while now it's OK, but i'd like to monitor it. Is there any command i can run to tell me the usage in the past or give me a history of traffic and the speed that going on this specific card? I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katkota
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Monitoring network traffic on wireless router

Hi all, How can I monitor packet traffic on my wireless router? Some info - my wireless router is netgear wgr614 - everyone can connect it i.e. no password required - I would like to see where they connect, how they are using the internet connection I installed wireshark and captured... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SaTYR
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Monitoring traffic in the network

I Colleagues, Somebody can say me how to monitoring traffic in the network. also I am interested in monitoring memory. if somebody to know a guide with command advanced in unix welcome for me. Thank you for adcanced. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traffic Monitoring Script

Hello All, I have written a script to check for http error code 500 in the logs. here is the code #!/bin/bash ######################################################################################################### # Shellscript : trafficchk.sh -Traffic Monitoring # Version ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
3 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

How do I know what traffic is in network port?

If I would like to know what connection , data , traffic in a network port ( eth0 ) , what can I do ? ps. because I always found the network is very slow , so I would like what the network port is doing . Thanks Login ID ust3 is currently in read-only mode for multiple infractions. Creating... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust03
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to throttle network traffic?

Hi All I am resilience testing an application that is spread across multiple servers. One thing I will need to do soon is throttle the network traffic for specific interfaces within the test cluster. Specifically, maybe make a connection take twice or three times as long to respond.... I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbq
3 Replies

10. IP Networking

I would like to monitor network traffic for a computer on my network

My son does homework on a school laptop. I was thinking about setting up a gateway on my home network, so that I can monitor web traffic and know if he is doing his homework without standing over his shoulder. Ideally I would like to use the Raspberry Pi Model b that I already have. However, I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
15 Replies
ifdata(1)																 ifdata(1)

NAME
ifdata - get network interface info without parsing ifconfig output SYNOPSIS
ifdata [options] {iface} DESCRIPTION
ifdata can be used to check for the existence of a network interface, or to get information abut the interface, such as its IP address. Un- like ifconfig or ip, ifdata has simple to parse output that is designed to be easily used by a shell script. OPTIONS
-h Print out a help summary. -e Test to see if the interface exists, exit nonzero if it does not. -p Prints out the whole configuration of the interface. -pe Prints "yes" or "no" if the interface exists or not. -pa Prints the IPv4 address of the interface. -pn Prints the netmask of the interface. -pN Prints the network address of the interface. -pb Prints the broadcast address of the interface. -pm Prints the MTU of the interface. Following options are Linux only. -ph Prints the hardware address of the interface. -pf Prints the flags of the interface. -si Prints out all the input statistics of the interface. -sip Prints the number of input packets. -sib Prints the number of input bytes. -sie Prints the number of input errors. -sid Prints the number of dropped input packets. -sif Prints the number of input fifo overruns. -sic Print the number of compressed input packets. -sim Prints the number of input multicast packets. -so Prints out all the output statistics of the interface. -sop Prints the number of output packets. -sob Prints the number of output bytes. -soe Prints the number of output errors. -sod Prints the number of dropped output packets. -sof Prints the number of output fifo overruns. -sox Print the number of output collisions. -soc Prints the number of output carrier losses. -som Prints the number of output multicast packets. -bips Prints the number of bytes of incoming traffic measured in one second. -bops Prints the number of bytes of outgoing traffic measured in one second. AUTHOR
Benjamin BAYART 2006-03-07 ifdata(1)