Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming diff in putchar(c) and printf("%c",c); Post 302137054 by jim mcnamara on Friday 21st of September 2007 12:06:08 PM
Old 09-21-2007
putchar(c) is a macro defined as:
Code:
 putc(c, stdout)

printf() is a function. Porter's comment is directed to the fact that the printf() example you gave is wrong.
Code:
printf("%c", c);

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff on c-source file always returns "files differ"

I have a c-source file that is evidently seen by unix as a binary file. When doing a diff between it and older versions with substantial differences, diff will only return "files differ". I have tried cat-ing the file to another file; tried using the "-h" on the diff; I have tried ftp-ing it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C-Prog-Man
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum input file size in "Diff" Command

Hello, Can anyone let me know what is the maximum file size that can be given as input for the "Diff" Command in Unix? I have a file size as large as 28MB and which can also increase. Will I face any issues with such a file size. If yes, What is the other alternative. Thanks in advance for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neeraja
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

6. Programming

What is the difference between printf and putchar() or scanf and getchar() ?

Im a newbie to programming language, i found tat there r these function called printf and putchar() as well as scanf and getchar(), im curious abt why do dey hav these 2 different function although dey r doing the same instruction? :confused: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris26
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing lists when "diff" isn't sufficiently stringent

Greetings. I like to compare two lists of numbers, A.txt and B.txt, to see the numbers that are in B.txt but not in A.txt. I only need the "deletions" with reference to A.txt. Using the diff command doesn't work because it considers too many of the deletions just changes because they are a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
PUTC(3) 						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						   PUTC(3)

NAME
fputc, putc, putchar, putc_unlocked, putchar_unlocked, putw -- output a character or word to a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int fputc(int c, FILE *stream); int putc(int c, FILE *stream); int putchar(int c); int putc_unlocked(int c, FILE *stream); int putchar_unlocked(int c); int putw(int w, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The fputc() function writes the character c (converted to an ``unsigned char'') to the output stream pointed to by stream. putc() acts essentially identically to fputc(), but is a macro that expands in-line. It may evaluate stream more than once, so arguments given to putc() should not be expressions with potential side effects. putchar() is identical to putc() with an output stream of stdout. The putc_unlocked() and putchar_unlocked() functions provide functionality identical to that of putc() and putchar(), respectively, but do not perform implicit locking of the streams they operate on. In multi-threaded programs they may be used only within a scope in which the stream has been successfully locked by the calling thread using either flockfile(3) or ftrylockfile(3), and may later be released using funlockfile(3). The putw() function writes the specified int to the named output stream. RETURN VALUES
The functions, fputc(), putc() and putchar() return the character written. If an error occurs, the value EOF is returned. The putw() func- tion returns 0 on success; EOF is returned if a write error occurs, or if an attempt is made to write a read-only stream. SEE ALSO
ferror(3), fopen(3), getc(3), stdio(3) STANDARDS
The functions fputc(), putc(), and putchar(), conform to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The functions putc_unlocked() and putchar_unlocked() conform to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The functions putc(), putchar(), and putw() first appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The function fputc() appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The size and byte order of an int varies from one machine to another, and putw() is not recommended for portable applications. BSD
May 6, 2010 BSD