Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE ssh command on remote linux system hanging Post 302137020 by rajranibl on Friday 21st of September 2007 06:09:51 AM
Old 09-21-2007
ssh command on remote linux system hanging

Hi,
Our systems:
system1: amd 64 running suse linux 9 enterprize
system2: amd 64 running esx vmware 3 with suse linux 9 enterprize.

The problem is:
when we ssh into system2 and execute the command:
ls -al
the session hangs. Infact session hangs when we execute any command returning multiple rows (by pressing the ctrl y we are able to come out of the hang, but no result).

Similar problem occur when running:
ssh system2 "ls -al /opt/oracle"

,but if we run the following:

ssh system2 "ls /opt/oracle" the output is ok it's also ok if you are on
system2 and execute: ls

All suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running ssh on a remote system?

I need to install ypbind and yp-tools on over two-hundred remote client machines based on their redhat version. I have a centralized server on which I created an ssh public key. I then transfered the ssh public key to the authorized_keys file on all the remote hosts; therefore, I can login without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a script on a remote system via SSH

Hello all, I have a relatively simple script I wrote to generate a count of errors broken down. What I would like to do is execute this script from another server so that I don't actually have to log in to the server to run the check. The script on what we'll call "Server A" is: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding ssh into remote system

How can i ssh into a remote system using ssh command in a shell script with password? I havent used password less authentication for the remote system. Thanks and Regards, Rupaa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rupaa
4 Replies

4. Solaris

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/usr password

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/user password with rlogin we can ujse .rhosts file but with ssh howits possible plz guide (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh to remote command prompt

Hi all, Scenario - trying to run a batch job on a second machine. DIR=directory user=user server=server Here is what i have- ssh user@server 'sleep2; cd $DIR; <jobname>' I have got access to the correct directory, i checked with a pwd command previous. Problem is the job i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hopper_no1
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh sending local variable to remote system

I am running a useradd script, which works locally but I want to take some of that local information and send it to a remote system, ssh keys are set up between the two systems. I am attaching the script, look at the section titled "Sending information to FTP2" Removed attachment, added... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slufoot80
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote command in variable using ssh

Hi, I've an issue in a shell script: I'm opening an ssh connection to a remote server, then I want to store the result of a ls command in a variable, but it doesn't work: the ls is done on the local machine. ssh user@server << EOF ls # works as expected (ls is done remotely) test=`ls` # the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seloum57
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Commands on a Remote Linux Server over SSH

Hello, I'm trying to create a ksh script to ssh to a remote server, enter the password and a couple commands. For security reasons I have changed the login, password and ip in my example. #!/bin/ksh ssh -t -t username@12.5.5.3 << EOF password cd bin pwd EOF When I run it. It... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a text file from my Ubuntu Windows Sub System to a remote instance through SSH

*Following questions involves use of YAML, BASH, SSH and Software called Ansible* I am trying to learn how to use a Linux environment (in my case a Ubuntu Windows Sub System) to copy a text file from my files to a remote instance (in this case Amazon Web Services) by connecting via SSH. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suhaba
8 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)