Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl - why is the shell script executed before the print command? Post 302137017 by porter on Friday 21st of September 2007 05:40:34 AM
Old 09-21-2007
Looks like Perl is buffering stdout, can you do the equivalent of fflush?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem executed shell command from PL/SQL

i wrote plsql procedure that executed shell command using java class my problem is that in some reason the shell command ( liks Is -l , mv ... ) are not recordnize can someone help me with that 10x Alodvg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alodvg
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verifying if the shell command executed or not?

Hi, I am working on a shell script that would verify if the mount command has executed or not. So , i have been doing this. mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom echo "$?" if ; then echo " Mount succesful" else echo " Mount unsuccessful" fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the return code of subroutines executed as standalone as command line in Perl ?

How to do I get the return code of a subroutine in a perl module if invoke the subroutine as standalone, I have an module say TestExit.pm and in that i have a subroutine say myTest() which is returns 12, if i were to call the subroutine from command line like CASE:1 ( Without an explict... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me with shell script command to print

I have a file with similar line like below /u13/orabkup/u13/orabkup/abcd/arc82.123 Now I need to have only u13/orabkup/abcd/arc82.123 rather than /u13/orabkup/u13/orabkup/abcd/arc82.123 Kindly help me to print /u13/orabkup/ only once and the file name abcd/arc82.123.. Thanks & Regards... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anitha11889
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not getting executed

Hi As per my requirement when I run . ./file.sh am getting the following error -bash:ELF: command not found when i execute as ./file.sh it is getting executed.How to resolve this. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send keyboard inputs toa UNIX command executed from a shell script?

I have a unix command that prompts for 'y'. How do I run this from my shell script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set Command to output a log of every command executed in the script

Hi Guys, I like to output every command executed in the script to a file. I have tried set -x which does the same. But it is not giving the logs of the child script which is being called from my script. Is there any parameters in the Set command or someother way where i can see the log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command not getting executed in shell script

I am able to execute awk command from shell prompt. but the same command is not getting executed when written and run in a bash script the command from bash cmd prompt. awk '/world/{for (i=2; i<NF; i++) printf $i " "; print $NF}1' myfile >tmp$$ ; mv tmp$$ myfile file: # hello world my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to check a command executed sucessfully or not

Hi All, I am trying to write a shell script to check if a command executed successfully or not in rhel 7 and finding the installed tomcat version. I am using below script. var4=$(find / -name "catalina.jar" ! -size 0 |egrep -v... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani25
6 Replies
SETBUF(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SETBUF(3)

NAME
setbuf, setbuffer, setlinebuf, setvbuf - stream buffering operations SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> void setbuf(FILE *stream, char *buf); void setbuffer(FILE *stream, char *buf, size_tsize); void setlinebuf(FILE *stream); int setvbuf(FILE *stream, char *buf, int mode , size_t size); DESCRIPTION
The three types of buffering available are unbuffered, block buffered, and line buffered. When an output stream is unbuffered, information appears on the destination file or terminal as soon as written; when it is block buffered many characters are saved up and written as a block; when it is line buffered characters are saved up until a newline is output or input is read from any stream attached to a terminal device (typically stdin). The function fflush(3) may be used to force the block out early. (See fclose(3).) Normally all files are block buffered. When the first I/O operation occurs on a file, malloc(3) is called, and a buffer is obtained. If a stream refers to a terminal (as stdout normally does) it is line buffered. The standard error stream stderr is always unbuffered by default. The setvbuf function may be used on any open stream to change its buffer. The mode parameter must be one of the following three macros: _IONBF unbuffered _IOLBF line buffered _IOFBF fully buffered Except for unbuffered files, the buf argument should point to a buffer at least size bytes long; this buffer will be used instead of the current buffer. If the argument buf is NULL, only the mode is affected; a new buffer will be allocated on the next read or write opera- tion. The setvbuf function may only be used after opening a stream and before any other operations have been performed on it. The other three calls are, in effect, simply aliases for calls to setvbuf. The setbuf function is exactly equivalent to the call setvbuf(stream, buf, buf ? _IOFBF : _IONBF, BUFSIZ); The setbuffer function is the same, except that the size of the buffer is up to the caller, rather than being determined by the default BUFSIZ. The setlinebuf function is exactly equivalent to the call: setvbuf(stream, (char *)NULL, _IOLBF, 0); RETURN VALUE
The function setvbuf returns 0 on success. It can return any value on failure, but returns nonzero when mode is invalid or the request cannot be honoured. It may set errno on failure. The other functions are void. CONFORMING TO
The setbuf and setvbuf functions conform to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C''). BUGS
The setbuffer and setlinebuf functions are not portable to versions of BSD before 4.2BSD, and are available under Linux since libc 4.5.21. On 4.2BSD and 4.3BSD systems, setbuf always uses a suboptimal buffer size and should be avoided. You must make sure that both buf and the space it points to still exist by the time stream is closed, which also happens at program termi- nation. For example, the following is illegal: #include <stdio.h> int main() { char buf[BUFSIZ]; setbuf(stdin, buf); printf("Hello, world! "); return 0; } SEE ALSO
fclose(3), fflush(3), fopen(3), fread(3), malloc(3), printf(3), puts(3) Linux 2001-06-09 SETBUF(3)