Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: comparing numbers in a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers comparing numbers in a file Post 302136971 by dusk2dawn on Thursday 20th of September 2007 07:33:41 PM
Old 09-20-2007
comparing numbers in a file

Hello, I'm searching for a quick method to read numeric values from a file or a defined variable and identifying the largest number. For instance if the following numbers are in a file or defined to a variable:
09192007 09202007 09182007 09172007 09162007

What "short" method could be used to id "09202007" as being the largest number read in?

Thanks much!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two numbers

Hello, I kinda newbie in unix so I would like so help.I know that there is a command that compares two integer numbers test (eg. #$1=0 ).I would like to know if it is possible to compare any number with another (eg. 2.3=0 or 3.7!=0 4.5>2.2). Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TabloMaxos
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two numbers with the decimals

Can someone tell me how do I comapre two numbers with the decimals in UNIX shell scripting I understand "-gt" can be used only for integers Regards, Giri (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chittari
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing Version Numbers

Hi There! Apologies if this has been asked previously but I couldn't find the answer I was hoping for. Basically, all I want to do is compare the OS X version against the version that I require in my script. So I'm retrieving the OS version using defaults read, but how can I compare this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing with numbers.

How to compare a variable with a value like 00:00:10 ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagendramv
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Decimal Numbers

Im trying to compare two numbers with decimals but its not working as expected. a=1 b=1.1 if then echo "equal" fi When I do this it says that the numbers are equal. Ultimately Im using -le and -ge in the if statements but I tested with -eq for simplicity. Any way to make this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Where to being Comparing numbers?

Hi. I do not know how to compare numbers and need help. In my script I have to figure the MAX, MIN, & Avg. Sales amounts. Please help me. In the code, "transaction" is a counter. #!/bin/bash clear transaction=0 sales=0 total=0 while test $sales ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Negative Numbers with If/Else

ValA=-29344 if ; then echo "NEGATIVE" else echo "POSITIVE" fi Can someone please tell me how else they would go about doing the above? When i do it, i get errors such as: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing decimal numbers between 0 and 1

For numbers between 0 and 1 the below logic is not working. Output of above shall be "correct" but its echoing "incorrect".Kindly suggest a=.1 if then echo correct else echo incorrect fi Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsvikas
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files with numbers and taking difference in third file

Hi All, I have two files in the following format, with numbers being defined under columns(described by a set of headers) and rows(again defined by a set of identifiers) 2013 2013 Make200 Make201 Merc BMW Jpur Del ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl for comparing numbers from previous lines in a file?

Hi everyone I have a question for you, as I am trying to learn more about Perl and work with some weather data. I have an ascii file (shown below) that has 10 lines with different columns. What I would like is have Perl find an "anomalous" value by comparing a field with the values from the last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucshi09
2 Replies
PROP_NUMBER(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					    PROP_NUMBER(3)

NAME
prop_number, prop_number_create_integer, prop_number_create_unsigned_integer, prop_number_copy, prop_number_size, prop_number_unsigned, prop_number_integer_value, prop_number_unsigned_integer_value, prop_number_equals, prop_number_equals_integer, prop_number_equals_unsigned_integer -- numeric value property object LIBRARY
Property Container Object Library (libprop, -lprop) SYNOPSIS
#include <prop/proplib.h> prop_number_t prop_number_create_integer(int64_t val); prop_number_t prop_number_create_unsigned_integer(uint64_t val); prop_number_t prop_number_copy(prop_number_t number); int prop_number_size(prop_number_t number); bool prop_number_unsigned(prop_number_t number); int64_t prop_number_integer_value(prop_number_t number); uint64_t prop_number_unsigned_integer_value(prop_number_t number); bool prop_number_equals(prop_number_t num1, prop_number_t num2); bool prop_number_equals_integer(prop_number_t number, int64_t val); bool prop_number_equals_unsigned_integer(prop_number_t number, uint64_t val); DESCRIPTION
The prop_number family of functions operate on a numeric value property object type. Values are either signed or unsigned, and promoted to a 64-bit type (int64_t or uint64_t, respectively). It is possible to compare number objects that differ in sign. Such comparisons first test to see if each object is within the valid number range of the other: o Signed numbers that are greater than or equal to 0 can be compared to unsigned numbers. o Unsigned numbers that are less than or equal to the largest signed 64-bit value (INT64_MAX) can be compared to signed numbers. Number objects have a different externalized representation depending on their sign: o Signed numbers are externalized in base-10 (decimal). o Unsigned numbers are externalized in base-16 (hexadecimal). When numbers are internalized, the sign of the resulting number object (and thus its valid range) is determined by a set of rules evaluated in the following order: o If the first character of the number is a '-' then the number is signed. o If the first two characters of the number are '0x' then the number is unsigned. o If the number value fits into the range of a signed number then the number is signed. o In all other cases, the number is unsigned. prop_number_create_integer(int64_t val) Create a numeric value object with the signed value val. Returns NULL on failure. prop_number_create_unsigned_integer(uint64_t val) Create a numeric value object with the unsigned value val. Returns NULL on failure. prop_number_copy(prop_number_t number) Copy a numeric value object. If the supplied object isn't a numeric value, NULL is returned. prop_number_size(prop_number_t number) Returns 8, 16, 32, or 64, representing the number of bits required to hold the value of the object. If the supplied object isn't a numeric value, NULL is returned. prop_number_unsigned(prop_number_t number) Returns true if the numeric value object has an unsigned value. prop_number_integer_value(prop_number_t number) Returns the signed integer value of the numeric value object. If the supplied object isn't a numeric value, zero is returned. Thus, it is not possible to distinguish between ``not a prop_number_t'' and ``prop_number_t has a value of 0''. prop_number_unsigned_integer_value(prop_number_t number) Returns the unsigned integer value of the numeric value object. If the supplied object isn't a numeric value, zero is returned. Thus, it is not possible to distinguish between ``not a prop_number_t'' and ``prop_number_t has a value of 0''. prop_number_equals(prop_number_t num1, prop_number_t num2) Returns true if the two numeric value objects are equivalent. If at least one of the supplied objects isn't a numeric value, false is returned. prop_number_equals_integer(prop_number_t number, int64_t val) Returns true if the object's value is equivalent to the signed value val. If the supplied object isn't a numerical value or if val exceeds INT64_MAX, false is returned. prop_number_equals_unsigned_integer(prop_number_t number, uint64_t val) Returns true if the object's value is equivalent to the unsigned value val. If the supplied object isn't a numerical value or if val exceeds INT64_MAX, false is returned. SEE ALSO
prop_array(3), prop_bool(3), prop_data(3), prop_dictionary(3), prop_object(3), prop_string(3), proplib(3) HISTORY
The proplib property container object library first appeared in NetBSD 4.0. BSD
January 21, 2008 BSD