Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users executing commands in child shell Post 302136909 by RTM on Thursday 20th of September 2007 10:49:29 AM
Old 09-20-2007
It's not the shell, it's the clearview commands.

Clearcase setview

Quote:
Command to Execute in View Context

A shell process is started, as indicated by your SHELL environment variable; a Bourne shell (/bin/sh ) is started if SHELL has a null value or is undefined. The shell runs interactively until you exit from it.

-exe·c cmd-invocation
Starts a shell process, invokes the specified command line in the dynamic view specified by view-tag, and then returns control to the parent process. This option does not set the view-tag view in the parent process. This command inherits the environment of the shell process.
Try it with the -exec

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

parent not waiting until child complete executing another program through execl()

Hi, I am calling a program that greps and returns 72536 bytes of data on STDOUT, say about 7000 lines of data on STDOUT. I use pipe from the program am calling the above program. Naturally, I execute the above program (through execl() ) throught the child process and try to read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing commands through shell variable

Hey there, I am trying to pass a command as argument to a function. The command shows up in $1. Now I want to execute this command, but if I do a $1 ./sample "bla/blaprintf: warning: ignoring excess arguments, starting with `bla/bla' The code is : #!/bin/ksh fn() { $1 } fn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriyer
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to stay in remote shell after executing commands in ssh?

the ssh calling convention: ssh <server> If I put commands in the section, ssh will execute them immediately after logging in and return to local shell. I want to stay in the remote shell after executing these commands. How can I achieve this? Thanks for all. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hplonlien
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a shell script containing awk commands

Hi All, I am trying to execute a shell script containg awk commands. But unable to do so. Below is my script. Please help. The name of the script is scan.sh and I have tried executing it using the command sh scan.sh It is giving an error which reads like: awk:syntax error near line 7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: misb
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

What are different ways of executing shell commands?

I am a student in BCIT in vancouver and taking comp2771 course.(Shell scripting). I would like to know what are different ways of executing shell commands? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adam25ca
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Child Shell & Executing a script in the same context

Hi, Is the below possible (SHELL = tcsh)? -- I want to write an 'alias' something like this - alias set_my_work "setenv SOME_VAR;tcsh -i;source work_script.cshrc" The intention is to run this alias and enter a child shell, at the same time ensuring that the work_script.cshrc is source-ed.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mishra.a.c
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands not executing after FTP in shell script

Hello In the shell script we have a FTP command like below ftp -n -v -q winftp.principal.com >/infa/datafiles/GRP/Scripts/ftp_from_infa_dvcn.log<<END_SCRIPT   quote USER $FTP_USER quote PASS $FTP_PASS ascii lcd $FTP_LOCALDIR cd $FTP_FLDR put $FTP_FILE   bye exit If i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble executing piped shell commands in perl code

I am trying to execute a piped combination of shell commands inside a perl program. However, it is not working as desired. This is my program, i am trying to print only filenames from the output of ls -l $ cat list_test #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; my $count=0; my @list=`ls -l|awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple ssh commands inside a shell simultaneously

I would like to execute a commands in four different servers through ssh at a single instance(simultaneously). Below are the details with examples, ssh user1@server1 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server2 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server3 "grep xxxx logs" Each statement will take some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amutha
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple child scripts - failing

Hi Folks - Happy Thursday! I have a need where I have Parent/Control script that calls multiple child scripts. The problem is, after the first child script is executed, it fails to move to the next script. I assume it's due to my script exit? For instance, in batch to return to the parent... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
12 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)