Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting does grep supports regular expession Post 302136825 by useless79 on Thursday 20th of September 2007 12:22:56 AM
Old 09-20-2007
does grep supports regular expession

hi ,

does grep supports regular expression why the following is not working

ls -a | grep "^."
or

ls -a | grep '^.'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

More Grep - Regular Expressions

Hey all! I'm trying to search a file and return all instances of a word, let's say 'foo' in this case, as long as it's not a function name. For example: 1) int foo; //OK 2) //'this is totally fooed up' is also OK 3) int foo (int x, int y) //not ok to return I've tried a lot of regular... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jombee
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep : regular expression

guys, my requirment goes like this: I have a file, and wish to filter out records where 1. The first letter is o or O and 2. The next 4 following letter should not be ther I do not wish to use pipe and wish to do it in one shot. The best expression I came up with is: grep ^*... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and regular expressions :

I wrote a simple korn shell where I am trying to filter all the good record layouts of a file to only leave the bad ones to look at. That file is hudge. Aside from '# comments' and 'var=ssss', all record should follow a specific record layout, with comma seperated fields. Some fields can have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regarding grep regular expression

When i do ls -ld RT_BP* i am getting the following list. drwxrwx--- 2 user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP809 drwxrwx--- 2user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP809.O drwxrwx--- 2 user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP810 drwxrwx--- 2user group 256 Oct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with regular expression

Hi, guys. I have one question, hope somebody can give me a hand I have a file called passwd, the contents of it arebelow: *********************** ... goldsimj:x:5008:200: goldsij2:x:5009:200: whitej:x:5010:201: brownj:x:5011:202: goldsij3:x:5012:204: greyp:x:5013:203: ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and regular expression

Hi, I am executing a svnlook command to check to see if the following line exists. I need a regular expression to represent the line. A /test/test1/qa/test2/index.html A /test/test1/qa/test3/test.jpg A /test/test1/qa/test3/test1.jpg A /test/test1/qa/test4/test.swf I just need to extract... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kminkeller
9 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Regular Expressions with GREP

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Given a text file (big_english.txt) containing roughly 250,000 words, answer the following using grep and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blahblahblah123
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and regular expressions

Hi All, For the past many days I have solved a lot of grep and regular expression questions, Now I am in a search for a good quality set of questions that can help me build and check my knowledge of grep with regular expressions, it would be great if anyone could help me with my requirement. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulkalra9
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep + Regular expression or

Hi , I have few lines like A20120101.ANU.ZIP A20120401.ABC.ZIP A20120105.KJK.ZIP A20120809.JUG.ZIP A20120101.MAT.ZIP B20120301.ANU.XIP I want to filter by 1. Files starting with A and Ending With Z ( ^A.*.ZIP$) 2. And either ANU, or KJK or MAT in the file name. Hope my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep regular expression

I want to track only below: I am using below, but it doesn't work: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)