Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reading a line including spaces Post 302136799 by aksarben on Wednesday 19th of September 2007 07:20:33 PM
Old 09-19-2007
Reading a line including spaces

Hi All,

I have a script that reads a file and echo it back to std out.

Test.txt

1aaaaaaaaaaa .

The script is ReadLine.sh

#!/bin/ksh

cat $1 | while read file
do
echo $file
done

I invoke the script as ReadLine.sh Test.txt

The output that I get is

1aaaaaaaaaaa .

The read command seems to truncate the spaces and I need to print all the spaces between the text and the '.'

Any ideas.
Thanks
Ben.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files including spaces

I am accessing two files. I am using read command to read from the files. For the first file, I need read the fields delimited by spaces, and for the other file, I need to read the whole line as a single field including the spaces. When I used read command for the second file, the spaces... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumariak
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a path (including ref to shell variable) from file

Hi! 1. I have a parameter file containing path to log files. For this example both paths are the same, one is stated directly and the second using env variables. /oracle/admin/orcl/bdump/:atlas:trc:N ${ORACLE_BASE}/admin/${ORACLE_SID}/bdump/:${ORACLE_SID}:trc:N 2. I try to parse the path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lojzev
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

including spaces in awk output

I need to tweek my awk output: #cat filename ab cd ef:ghi:jk lm:nop qrs #cat filename | awk '{ for(i=3;i<NF+1;i++) printf $i}' ef:ghi:jklm:nopqrs I would like the ouput to include the original spaces from columns 3 on: ef:ghi:jk lm:nop qrs any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to append spaces(say 10 spaces) at the end of each line based on the length of th

Hi, I have a problem where I need to append few spaces(say 10 spaces) for each line in a file whose length is say(100 chars) and others leave as it is. I tried to find the length of each line and then if the length is say 100 chars then tried to write those lines into another file and use a sed... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathima
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading in arguments with spaces

I want to be able to read in input which contain spaces and put that into an array. Each field should be delimeted by a space and should be a different array element. However I cant get it to work. any tips? read input //type field1 field2 field3 echo "$input" array="$input" Thanks in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading complete line after spaces

Hi, I am reading data from a variable which has spaces in it. I want to get the data after first space, i.e. if my data line is "My Name is Ashish...", I want the data returned as "Name is Ashish". I am using #!/bin/sh shell. Please help me with the code to read the complete data after first... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gupt_ash
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filter only comments while reading a file including line break characters.

How do I filter only comments and still keep Line breaks at the end of the line!? This is one of the common tasks we all do,, How can we do this in a right way..!? I try to ignore empty lines and commented lines using following approach. test.sh # \040 --> SPACE character octal... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid the truncating of multiple spaces into a single space while reading a line from a file?

consider the small piece of code while read line do echo $line done < example content of example file sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the output is like sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK print last field including SPACES

I have simple test.sh script, see below: bill_code=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $1}'` Fullname=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $3}'` email=`echo $record | awk -F\ '{print $4}'` The last field contains spaces: see csv below: A0222|Y|DELACRUZ|-cc dell@yahoo.com-cc support@yahoo.com ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: quay
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Populating a BASH array with a list of files including spaces-in-the-name

For the record, I already tried telling mgmt and the users to disallow spaces in filenames for this script, but it isn't happening for a number of ID10T-error-based reasons. I have simple list of 3 files in a directory that are named like this: bash-3.2$ ls -1 file* file1 file1 part2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
2 Replies
SHCOMP(1)						    User Environment Utilities							 SHCOMP(1)

NAME
shcomp - compile a ksh93 shell script SYNOPSIS
shcomp [ options ] [infile] [outfile]] ORIGIN OF THIS MAN PAGE
This man page was written by Christophe Martin <Schplurtz@free.fr> for the Debian GNU/Linux system. It is based on "shcomp --man" output. DESCRIPTION
Unless -D is specified, shcomp takes a shell script, infile, and creates a binary format file, outfile, that ksh93 can read and execute with the same effect as the original script. Since aliases are processed as the script is read, alias definitions whose value requires variable expansion will not work correctly. If -D is specified, all double quoted strings that are preceded by $ are output. These are the messages that need to be translated to locale specific versions for internationalization. If outfile is omitted, then the results will be written to standard output. If infile is also omitted, the shell script will be read from standard input. OPTIONS
-D, --dictionary Generate a list of strings that need to be placed in a message catalog for internationalization. -n, --noexec Displays warning messages for obsolete or non-conforming constructs. -v, --verbose Displays input from infile onto standard error as it reads it. --man Displays this man page on standard error and exits. --help Shows a short help message and exits. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. DEBIAN WARNING
On a Debian GNU/Linux system, more than one package may provide ksh. the output of shcomp can only be used by ksh93. Any other ksh will be unable to run the compiled script. EXAMPLE
( echo '#! /bin/ksh93' ; shcomp myscript ) > myscript.bin && chmod 755 myscript.bin ./myscript.bin SEE ALSO
ksh(1) IMPLEMENTATION
version shcomp (AT&T Labs Research) 2003-03-02 author David Korn <dgk@research.att.com> copyright Copyright (c) 1982-2005 AT&T Corp. license http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl1.0.txt KSH93 Fri Jun 3 2005 SHCOMP(1)