Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Regex in if-then-else statement to match strings Post 302136793 by drl on Wednesday 19th of September 2007 06:01:03 PM
Old 09-19-2007
Hi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
Using a case/esac statement makes regular expressions simple and obvious.

Code:
case $name in
    [ab]{2,3} )
         echo do stuff
         ;;
    * ) 
         ;;
esac

Perhaps I am using a too-old version of bash. Version 3.00.16(1) recognizes the [ab] but not the {2,3} part, apparently because the case selectors are expanded in the same fashion as pathnames, not regular expressions:
Code:
#!/bin/bash3

# @(#) s4       Demonstrate case selectors.

set -o nounset
echo

echo "GNU bash $BASH_VERSION" >&2
echo " MUST USE VERSION 3 FOR REGULAR EXPRESSIONS WITH =~ OPERATOR!"
# See: https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?p=302136557&posted=1#post302136557

echo

# if [ $name = [ab]{2,3} ]; then
name="b"
name="bb"
echo " Original string = \"$name\""

case $name in
[ab]{2,3} )
    echo Success
        ;;
* )
    echo Failure
        ;;
esac

echo
name="b{2,3}"
echo " Original string = \"$name\""

case $name in
[ab]{2,3} )
    echo Success
        ;;
* )
    echo Failure
        ;;
esac

exit 0

producing:
Code:
% ./s4

GNU bash 3.00.16(1)-release
 MUST USE VERSION 3 FOR REGULAR EXPRESSIONS WITH =~ OPERATOR!

Original string = "bb"
Failure

Original string = "b{2,3}"
Success

... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to match basename

Hi Can somebody please help me know how do i match the basename using a regular expression using posix standard in shell script suppose i want to match /u01/Sybase/data/master.dbf the result should be master.dbf as i want to match everything after the last / regards (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex: Get the word before match

Hi Input: MYTEXT.aa.bb cc.MYTEXT.aa.bb ee.dd.cc.MYTEXT.aa.bb cc.NOTEXT.a.b Output: <empty> cc cc <empty> I would like to use a regex to extract the last word before MYTEXT without the dot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement with [[ ]] and regex not working as expected

Using BASH: $ if -- ::00" ]]; then echo "true"; else echo "false"; fi false Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex within IF statement in awk

Hello to all, I have: X="string 1-" Y="-string 2" Z="string 1-20-string 2"In the position of the number 20 could be different numbers, but I'm interest only when the number is 15, 20,45 or 70. I want to include an IF within an awk code with a regex in the following way. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Only Regex pattern match help

Hi We have a tool to monitor logs in our environment. The tool accepts log pattern match only using regex and I accept I am a n00b in that:confused:. I had been banging my head to make it work without much success and at last had to turn on to my last option to post it here. I had got great... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radioactive9
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - what does this statement mean -Regex

push @MACARRAY, "$+{catalog} $+{machine}\n" if ($info =~ /(?<catalog>catalog).+?(?<machine>\*+)/ms); I am (still) trying to solve problem. Looking around on the server I found this piece of code. Specifically what does "$+{catalog} $+{machine}\n" do ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using BASH =~ regex to match multiple strings

I have a scripting problem that I'm trying to solve, whereby I want to match that a string contains either of three strings. I'm thinking this is probably just me not understanding how to craft the appropriate regex. However, here's what I would like to do: ] && do-something more... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: forrie
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail K command regex: adding exclusion/negative lookahead to regex -a@MATCH

I'm trying to get some exclusions into our sendmail regular expression for the K command. The following configuration & regex works: LOCAL_CONFIG # Kcheckaddress regex -a@MATCH +<@+?\.++?\.(us|info|to|br|bid|cn|ru) LOCAL_RULESETS SLocal_check_mail # check address against various regex... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobbieTheK
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailq regex match

Hi, # mailq | awk '{match($0, /quota/)} {print $0}' | head -Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient------- 9A6A7DE117E 84309 Sat Sep 30 14:14:50 alerts-noreply+xxxxx=xxx.sg@xxx.xx.xxx (host alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com said: 452-4.2.2 The email account that you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)