Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trying to compare lines in 2 files Post 302136782 by brdholman on Wednesday 19th of September 2007 05:12:13 PM
Old 09-19-2007
Trying to compare lines in 2 files

Hello, I am new to scripting and need some help. In looking at other posts on this forum, I came up with the following logic. I cannot figure out why I am getting names of files of the current directory in my echo output.

Scenario: message file has a line containing the version. Version.txt contains the correct version. I have to see if the message file's version matches the correct version.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong??

cat /home/brdholman/testing/Tar/Message.dat | while read LINE
do
#if [[ "$LINE" = "$Version.txt" ]]
VERSION="$LINE"
cat Version.txt | while read LINE2
do
if [[ "$LINE2" = "$VERSION" ]]
then
echo $VERSION
else
continue
#echo not equal
fi
done
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files by lines and columns

Dear All, Is it possible to compare 2 files line to line using column values? for example I have file1: 1;givi;01012000;wer 2;sss;02012000;rrr 3;ccc;03012000;ttt file 2: 0;uuu;01012000;lll 1;givi;01012000;wer 2;sss;02012000;rrr 3;ccc;03012000;ttt 5;givi;01012000;hhh I want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giviut
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two files and to remove the matching lines on both the files

I have two files and need to compare the two files and to remove the matching lines from both the files (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare lines in two files (Memory getting exhausted)

Hi, Could someone please help me with the best approach to compare lines from one file to another? Here is how I have entries - File 1 a1 a2 a3 a4 a9 a10 a15 File2 a5 a6 a15 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sncoupons
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files and then remove some lines

Hi everyone I have a dilemma and I'm hoping someone has an answer for me. I have two files: # cat masterfile line3 line4 line5 line6 line7 # cat tempfile line1 line2 line3 line4 I want to compare tempfile with masterfile. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files, 2 lines at a time

Hi Guys, I want to find any differences between packages installed on 2 servers/zones. I have 2 files that contain the output from pkginfo -x . I want to know if any packages exist only in one file and I want to also know about any packages that exist in both but with a different version. ie:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tornado
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files by lines and columns

Inspired by the extremely short awk code from Ygor on this post I wanted to compare two files on only one field. I can't get it to work. Can anybody help on explaining the code and fix the code? My code which does not work: awk 'BEGIN{a=1};a!=1' file1.txt file2.txt >outfile.txt file1.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdf
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files with repeated lines

Hi all, I've been trying to write a script to compare two files. This is what I want: file 1: a 1 2 b 5 9 c 4 7 file 2: a a c a b Output: a 1 2 a 1 2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ernesto561
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare lines in 2 files

I have 2 files with exactly the same information (with header and separated by ";") and what I would like to do is print (for both files!) the columns that are different and also print the "key" column that is equal in the 2 files For example, if File1: key1;aaa;bbb;ccc key2;ddd;eee;fff... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare lines between two files

I have two files I need to compare these two files and take the lines that are common in both the files and consider the line present in second file for my further processing I have used "Awk" along with "FNR and NR" but that is not working gawk -F= ' > FNR==NR {a=$1; next}; > ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and lines which are the same just delete it

I am having a two files and different days, and this is example: file1: 06.09.2017. abcd 123 file2: 07.09.2017. abcd 1234 So what I want is that file2 with today's date contains only 1234, so where is a problem you would ask? Problem is here that I put these commands into routers,. and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
3 Replies
GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)				       Generic Mapping Tools				      GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)

NAME
gmt_shell_functions.sh - Practical functions to be used in GMT bourne shell scripts SYNOPSIS
gmt_init_tmpdir gmt_remove_tmpdir gmt_clean_up [prefix] gmt_message message gmt_abort message gmt_nrecords file(s) gmt_nfields string gmt_get_field string gmt_get_region file(s) [options] gmt_get_gridregion file [options] gmt_get_map_width -R -J gmt_get_map_height -R -J gmt_set_psfile file gmt_set_framename prefix framenumber gmt_set_framenext framenumber DESCRIPTION
gmt_shell_functions.sh provides a set of functions to Bourne (again) shell scripts in support of GMT. The calling shell script should include the following line, before the functions can be used: . gmt_shell_functions.sh Once included in a shell script, gmt_shell_functions.sh allows GMT users to do some scripting more easily than otherwise. The functions made available are: gmt_init_tmpdir Creates a temporary directory in /tmp or (when defined) in the directory specified by the environment variable TMPDIR. The name of the temporary directory is returned as environment variable GMT_TMPDIR. This function also causes GMT to run in `isolation mode', i.e. all temporary files will be created in GMT_TMPDIR and the .gmtdefaults file will not be adjusted. gmt_remove_tmpdir Removes the temporary directory and unsets the GMT_TMPDIR environment variable. gmt_cleanup Remove all files and directories in which the current process number is part of the file name. If the optional prefix is given then we also delete all files and directories that begins with the given prefix. gmt_message Send a message to standard error. gmt_abort Send a message to standard error and exit the shell. gmt_nrecords Returns the total number of lines in file(s) gmt_nfields Returns the number of fields or words in string gmt_get_field Returns the given field in a string. Must pass string between double quotes to preserve it as one item. gmt_get_region Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the data in table file(s). Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_get_gridregion Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the header of a grid file. Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_map_width Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map width in the current measurement unit. gmt_map_height Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map height in the current measurement unit. gmt_set_psfile Create the output PostScript file name based on the base name of a given file (usually the script name $0). gmt_set_framename Returns a lexically ordered filename stem (i.e., no extension) given the file prefix and the current frame number, using a width of 6 for the integer including leading zeros. Useful when creating animations and lexically sorted filenames are required. gmt_set_framenext Accepts the current frame integer counter and returns the next integer counter. NOTES
1. These functions only work in the bourne shell (sh) and their derivatives (like ash, bash, ksh and zsh). These functions do not work in the C shell (csh) or their derivatives (like tcsh), and cannot be used in DOS batch scripts either. 2. gmt_shell_functions.sh were first introduced in GMT version 4.2.2 and have since been regularly expanded with other practical scripting short-cuts. If you want to suggest other functions, please do so by mailing to the GMT mailing list: gmt-help@lists.hawaii.edu. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sh(1), bash(1), minmax(1), grdinfo(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)