Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difference between if [[ ]] and if [ ] statements Post 302136682 by rony_daniel on Wednesday 19th of September 2007 05:56:50 AM
Old 09-19-2007
Difference between if [[ ]] and if [ ] statements

Hi,

Can anyone Please tell me what is the difference between the following variation in the "if loops"

a. if [[ condition ]]
and
b. if [ condition ]

Thanks...
Rony

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

or statements?

how do i do an or in an if-then statement? i tried: if ; then bleh fi how???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blip
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Else in If Statements

Sorry to be a pain, but how does the else work in the if statements? Ive been making scripts with if statements but i cant get the else statements working. Can you help? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chapmana
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help on IF statements.

I had different problem scenarios with IF statement. Can any expert please enlighten me on the difference with these scenarios. Thank you. 1st Scenario: testdate=`date +%Y%m` test=`cat /var/log/database0.$testdate*.log | grep "Errors found during processing" | tail -10` if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with For Statements

Hi, I am trying to write a for statement that will allow for the ps, who, finger, and date commands to run. Can anyone help? I use Putty. (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: lexydoll87
22 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statements....

Good morning all! I want to know if Im interpreting this if statement below right. if(((1) || (0)) && (1)){ do stuff; } This is saying: if true piped into false, then true, then do stuff. Right? What does the && stand for? thanks in advance! ben (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with IF statements

I am writing a script that does a search for a argument in a file and lists all like occurrences. The script verifies that it is a file and then runs another script that list the lines. My problem is that I need the script to accept a file or a directory and then go to that directory check all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zero3ree
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using While and If statements

Hi guys, Two problems I need solving please. I created a script where the user types in 7 numbers as standard input and each one is then stored in an array. Now I need to perform the following calculations on those numbers: 1) Use a while loop to determine the largest number in the range. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjb1989
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many if statements..

Hello. I am new here and new to scripting. I used to have a very basic script that worked for simple backup/restore of files. I have expanded it and well... I have ended up with a complete mess. It still backs up and restores but there is so many issues that stem from the many if statements I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameinn
3 Replies

9. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
pthread_cond_signal(3T) 												   pthread_cond_signal(3T)

NAME
pthread_cond_signal(), pthread_cond_broadcast() - unblock one or all threads waiting on a condition variable SYNOPSIS
PARAMETERS
cond Pointer to the condition variable to be signaled or broadcast. DESCRIPTION
The function is used to wake-up one of the threads that are waiting for the occurrence of a condition associated with condition variable cond. If there are no threads blocked on cond, this function has no effect. If more than one thread is blocked on cond, the scheduling policy determines which thread is unblocked. It is possible that more than one thread can be unblocked due to a spurious wakeup. The function is used to wake-up all threads that are waiting for the occurrence of a condition associated with the condition variable cond. If there are no threads blocked on cond, this function has no effect. If more than one thread is blocked on cond, the scheduling policy determines the order in which threads are unblocked. The condition variabled denoted by cond must have been dynamically initialized by a call to or statically initialized with the macro An unblocked thread will reacquire the mutex it held when it started the condition wait before returning from or The threads that are unblocked contend for the mutex according to their scheduling policy and priority. The or functions can be called by a thread whether or not it currently owns the condition variable's associated mutex. For predictable scheduling behavior and to prevent lost wake-ups, the mutex should be held when signaling a condition variable. Usage When using condition variables, there is a boolean predicate associated with each condition wait. If this predicate is false, the thread should do a condition wait. Spurious wakeups may occur when waiting on a condition variable. Because the return values from and do not imply anything about the value of this predicate, the predicate should always be re-evaluated. Applications using condition variables typically acquire a mutex and enter a loop which checks the predicate. Depending on the value of the predicate, the thread either breaks out of the loop or waits on the condition. On return from the condition wait, the predicate is re- evaluated. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, and return zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error (the variable is not set). ERRORS
For each of the following conditions, if the condition is detected, the and functions return the corresponding error number: [EINVAL] cond is not a valid condition variable. [EFAULT] cond parameter points to an illegal address. AUTHOR
and were derived from the IEEE POSIX P1003.1c standard. SEE ALSO
pthread_cond_init(3T), pthread_cond_wait(3T). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
Pthread Library pthread_cond_signal(3T)