Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help in /etc/passwd file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help in /etc/passwd file Post 302136653 by SanjayLinux on Wednesday 19th of September 2007 03:34:06 AM
Old 09-19-2007
Hammer & Screwdriver

There are two types of user Unix/Linux system.
1:- System User (All the Daemons bin,system etc)
By default these users will have >0< 500 UID/GID(User ID and Group ID)
whenever you are installing the Unix/Linux in your system it will create automatically. Basically it need to run the Linux/Unix OS.

2: User specific User

During the Unix/Linux Installation That process will ask you to create the Root user and one Normal user. you can skip the Normal user creation but you can't skip the Root user creation.

Most of the User specific user is having >500 UID/GID
Only root is having 0 UID/GID

Hope it will help you to understand your question

Thanks
Sanjay Tripathi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

/etc/passwd file

hi Does anyone anyone know what the last line of a unix user passwd file signifes? Mine shows "+:::::" best (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_mad010
4 Replies

2. Solaris

/etc/passwd file been deleted

Hi Folks , Would be grateful if someone could help me out in one of the question that came to my mind . If the /etc/passwd file has been deleted and the system has been rebooted . Then i dont think that any user would be able to login and the system will be useless . Whats the best solution for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gera_sachin125
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

/etc/passwd file manipulation

Hi How the user is allowed to change his password with passwd command, although /etc/passwd has read only rights. How this file gets modified upon changing password??? Thanks in advance for this query (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: puneet
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

apache passwd file

i am using apache2.0, and i used this command to create username/passwd: ./htpasswd -b passwd.file username password is it away to translate password back to plaintext ? for example, passwd.file contains: username:HnennjvqsGaQs i want to translate back to: username:password (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

5. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with passwd file

Not an unix expert, I read a few pages on the web about passwd files, but I didn't find the answers I need about the last 8 lines of the passwd file I'm taking a look at. I'm assuming their shortcuts to another file that may have the actual usernames of users on the system. Please, any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fusion31
1 Replies

7. Solaris

can't open /etc/passwd file

Hi all, Yet another problem on one of my nodes. I am unable to open my password file .It shows some junk alphabets. root@ecosdp26a>cat /etc/passwd... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
10 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Sorting the passwd file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Sort the file /etc/passwd using the fourth field (group ID) as the primary sort, and the third field (user ID),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nekulturny
3 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Lost /etc/passwd file

Hello, I'm trying to recover my /etc/passwd file, but I can't make it work. Im doing the following: 1. Booting from cd-rom: 2. Mounting hard disk drive 3. Copying my passwd and shadow files to /a/etc/ 4. Unmounting Hard disk: 5. Rebooting 6. Stopping my OS from booting ( by pressing... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvaradogunner
11 Replies
SETRESUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      SETRESUID(2)

NAME
setresuid, setresgid - set real, effective and saved user or group ID SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <unistd.h> int setresuid(uid_t ruid, uid_t euid, uid_t suid); int setresgid(gid_t rgid, gid_t egid, gid_t sgid); DESCRIPTION
setresuid() sets the real user ID, the effective user ID, and the saved set-user-ID of the calling process. Unprivileged user processes may change the real UID, effective UID, and saved set-user-ID, each to one of: the current real UID, the cur- rent effective UID or the current saved set-user-ID. Privileged processes (on Linux, those having the CAP_SETUID capability) may set the real UID, effective UID, and saved set-user-ID to arbi- trary values. If one of the arguments equals -1, the corresponding value is not changed. Regardless of what changes are made to the real UID, effective UID, and saved set-user-ID, the file system UID is always set to the same value as the (possibly new) effective UID. Completely analogously, setresgid() sets the real GID, effective GID, and saved set-group-ID of the calling process (and always modifies the file system GID to be the same as the effective GID), with the same restrictions for unprivileged processes. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EAGAIN uid does not match the current UID and this call would bring that user ID over its RLIMIT_NPROC resource limit. EPERM The calling process is not privileged (did not have the CAP_SETUID capability) and tried to change the IDs to values that are not permitted. VERSIONS
These calls are available under Linux since Linux 2.1.44. CONFORMING TO
These calls are nonstandard; they also appear on HP-UX and some of the BSDs. NOTES
Under HP-UX and FreeBSD, the prototype is found in <unistd.h>. Under Linux the prototype is provided by glibc since version 2.3.2. The original Linux setresuid() and setresgid() system calls supported only 16-bit user and group IDs. Subsequently, Linux 2.4 added setre- suid32() and setresgid32(), supporting 32-bit IDs. The glibc setresuid() and setresgid() wrapper functions transparently deal with the variations across kernel versions. SEE ALSO
getresuid(2), getuid(2), setfsgid(2), setfsuid(2), setreuid(2), setuid(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-11-22 SETRESUID(2)