Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: printf
Top Forums Programming printf Post 302136643 by arunviswanath on Wednesday 19th of September 2007 02:39:04 AM
Old 09-19-2007
Power printf

What is the output of the following program considering an x86 based parameter passing sequence where stack grows towards lower memory addresses and that arguments are evaluated from right to left:

int i=10;
int f1()
{
static int i = 15;
printf("f1:%d ", i);
return i--;
}
main()
{
int i, j;
i = 5;
printf("%d %d %d", f1(), f1(), i);
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf question

can you take input from another command and do printf? such as awk '{print $2,$1}' | sort -k1,1 -k2,2 | printf "%-10s,%15s" this does not work.. but there must be a way.. please help me.. thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf

How to print output in following format? A..................ok AA................ok AAA..............ok AAAAAA........ok "ok" one under one (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf in awk

Hi friends.. I am confused about awk printf option.. I have a comma separated file 88562848,21-JAN-08,2741079, -1188,-7433,TESTING 88558314,21-JAN-08,2741189, -1273,-7976,TESTING and there is a line in my script ( written by someone else) What is the use of command? I guess... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: clx
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with printf

Hi, I have just completed my first script (:D) and now i just need to format it with printf. This is what I have: #!/bin/ksh TOTB=0 TOTF=0 TOTI=0 HOST=`hostname` echo " FSYSTEM BLKS FREE INUSE MOUNTEDON" df -m | grep -v ":"|grep -v Free|grep -v "/proc"| while read FSYSTEM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compan023
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf problem

I am having a major problem with printf, The more I pad it, the less I see :( The problem is in the first function, report Am I ruining output somewhere? I wont print out the names propely, it cuts them off or deletes them completely :( #!/bin/bash report() { printf "%-10s" STUD# ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: L0ckz0r
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with printf

Hi, I am using the following code to assign a count value to a variable. But I get nothing. Do you see anything wrong here. I am new to all this. $CTR=`remsh $m -l $MACHINES{$m} -n cat $output | grep -v sent | grep \"$input\" | sort -u | awk '{print $5}'`; Upto sort - u it's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nurani
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find + printf help

Hi, I have a scripting assignment for an intro to linux class and I'm really confused about how to do something seemingly simple. I am supposed to Print the name of each file in the /data/dir16/subdir1 directory in the following format: "My name is: bin" The desired output example looks like:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danschmidt
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Qsub and printf

Hello, I have some issue with qsub and the standard output : I launch a script that "echoes" the string "abc" and then executes a C program in which I print informations with the printf function ; the .o file contains "abc" but not the information displayed by printf. I also tried... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaderw
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf statement

The printf statement pay_amount=$(printf "%013.3f" "$4") working perfectly at one path(xxx/home/rsh) and showing error (printf: 216.000: invalid number) at another path(/opt/xxxx/xxxx). what will be the reason? thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reeta_shri
4 Replies

10. Programming

printf quirk

Hi, Could anyone explain me the logic behind the following program's output? int main() { printf("%d\n", printf("%d %d", 2, 2) & printf("%d %d", 2, 2)); printf("%d\n", printf("%d %d\n", 2, 2) & printf("%d %d\n", 2, 2)); } Ans: 2 22 23 2 2 2 2 4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies
sigaltstack(2)							System Calls Manual						    sigaltstack(2)

NAME
sigaltstack - set and/or get signal alternate stack context. SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function allows a process to define and examine the state of an alternate stack for signal handlers. Signals that have been explicitly declared to execute on the alternate stack will be delivered on the alternate stack. If ss is not a null pointer, it points to a structure that specifies the alternate signal stack that will take effect upon return from The ss_flags member specifies the new stack state. If it is set to the stack is disabled and ss_sp and ss_size are ignored. Otherwise the stack will be enabled, and the ss_sp and ss_size members specify the new address and size of the stack. The range of addresses starting at ss_sp, up to but not including ss_sp+ss_size, is available to the implementation for use as the stack. This interface makes no assumptions regarding which end is the stack base and in which direction the stack grows as items are pushed. If oss is not a null pointer, on successful completion it will point to a structure that specifies the alternate signal stack that was in effect prior to the call to The ss_sp and ss_size members specify the address and size of that stack. The ss_flags member specifies the stack's state, and may contain one of the following values: SS_ONSTACK The process is currently executing on the alternate signal stack. Attempts to modify the alternate signal stack while the process is executing on it fails. This flag must not be modified by processes. SS_DISABLE The alternate signal stack is currently disabled. The value is a system default specifying the number of bytes that would be used to cover the usual case when manually allocating an alter- nate stack area. The value is defined to be the minimum stack size for a signal handler. In computing an alternate stack size, a program should add that amount to its stack requirements to allow for the system implementation overhead. The constants and are defined in After a successful call to one of the functions, there are no alternate signal stacks in the new process image. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns 0. Otherwise, it returns -1 and sets to indicate the error. ERRORS
The function will fail if: [EINVAL] The ss argument is not a null pointer, and the ss_flags member pointed to by ss contains flags other than [ENOMEM] The size of the alternate stack area is less than [EPERM] An attempt was made to modify an active stack. WARNINGS
At HP-UX release 11i Version 1.6 and forward, use of in threads created with process contention scope will result in undefined behavior. This function will continue to be reliable in threads created with system contention scope. APPLICATION USAGE
The following code fragment illustrates a method for allocating memory for an alternate stack: In some implementations, a signal (whether or not indicated to execute on the alternate stack) will always execute on the alternate stack if it is delivered while another signal is being caught using the alternate stack. On some implementations, stack space is automatically extended as needed. On those implementations, automatic extension is typically not available for an alternate stack. If the stack overflows, the behavior is undefined. Threads Considerations Each thread may define an alternate signal handling stack. LWP (Light Weight Processes) Considerations Each LWP may define an alternate signal handling stack. SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), setjmp(3C), <signal.h>. CHANGE HISTORY
First released in Issue 4, Version 2. sigaltstack(2)