Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to exclude top level directory with find? Post 302136602 by siegfried on Tuesday 18th of September 2007 09:48:51 PM
Old 09-18-2007
How to exclude top level directory with find?

I'm using bash on cygwin/windows.

I'm trying to use find and exclude the directory /cygdrive/c/System\ Volume\ Information. When I try to use the command below I get the error "rm: cannot remove `/cygdrive/c/System Volume Information': Is a directory.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
Siegfried

/usr/bin/find /cygdrive/c \( -iname plcmobject.dll -o -iname plcmutility.dll -o -wholename /cygdrive/c/System\ Volume\ Information -prune \) -exec rm -f {} \; -print

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i exclude the current directory when using find?

i want to compile a list of files in all sub directories but exclude the current directory. the closest i could get was to search 'only' the current directory, which is the opposite of what i wanted. find . ! -name . -prune (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed removing two top level folders from path

Hi, I am trying to use either awk or sed to drop the first two folders in a path. So if I had path /folder1/folder2/folder3/folder4.... I need to drop folder1&2, so the new path would be /folder3/folder4... If folder1 and folder2 were the same all the time, this would be easy. But... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertinohio
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude a directory in 'find'

Hi, I'm in the process of writing a shell script which will be ran under cron hourly and will check for files of specific age in my ftp folder, then moves those over inside a folder called "old" (which is within the ftp dir). But, I'm unable to figure out how to exclude the "old" folder when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mutex1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SunOS: How to exclude directory in find command?

Hi All, First my OS version is: ksh:0$ uname -a SunOS 5.9 Generic_122300-48 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 I want to exclude the following DIR(./country111) in my search pattern: ksh:0$ find . -name "*.tar" ./country111/COUNTRY_BATCH-801.tar ./country111/COUNTRY_BATCH-802.tar... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saps19
3 Replies

5. Ubuntu

[Solved] Using Find with an exclude/exclude file

I am familiar with using tar and exclude/include files: tar zcf backup.dirs.tgz --files-from=include.mydirs --exclude-from=exclude.mydirs --no-recursion but was wondering if I could use find in the same way. I know that you can just specify the directories to exclude but my list is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cmd find: exclude directory when using option -depth

hello, i want to use "-depth" in command "find" and want to exclude a directory. the find command should work in HP-UX and Linux. i see in the find man page: -prune If -depth is not given, true; do not descend the current directory. If -depth is given, false; no effect. -depth... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get top level parent directory

Hi All, I have a directory like this: /u01/app/oracle/11gSE1/11gR203 How do i get the top level directory /u01 from this? Tried dirname and basename but dint help. I can this using echo $ORACLE_HOME | awk -F"/" '{print "/"$2}'. But I am trying to find out if there is a better way of doing it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilayasundar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How-To Exclude Directory in find command

How can i tweak the below find command to exclude directory/s -> "/tmp/logs" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.log*" ! -name "*.jar*" \) -printNote: -path option/argument does not work with the version of find that i have. bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Top 10 Users in mount level

Hi Members, I'm new to unix. Could you help me in solving my issue. My requirement is I need to pull Top 15 users in every mount. I could able to get the mount level information but I couldn't able to pull the top users in every mount. I see in every mount I could see a lot of nested... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UBEE
3 Replies
labelit_udfs(1M)					  System Administration Commands					  labelit_udfs(1M)

NAME
labelit_udfs - provide and print labels for udf file systems SYNOPSIS
labelit -F udfs [generic_options] [-o specific_options] special [fsname volume] DESCRIPTION
The labelit command writes labels on an unmounted disk that contains a universal disk file (udf) system. These labels can be used to iden- tify volumes. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: generic_options Specify generic_options supported by the generic labelit command. See labelit(1M) for descriptions of supported options. -o specific_options Specify udfs-file-system-specific options in a comma-separated list with no intervening spaces. The following specific_options are available: lvinfo1=string Specify information to be inserted in the LVInfo1 field of the Implementation Use Volume Descriptor. Information in LVInfo1 is generally used to identify the person creating the file system. The maximum length of the string specified is 35 bytes. lvinfo2=string Specify information to be inserted into the LVInfo2 field of the Implementation Use Volume Descriptor. Information in LVInfo2 is generally used to identify the organization responsible for creating the file system. The maximum length of the string specified is 35 bytes. lvinfo3=string Specify information to be inserted into the LVInfo3 field of the Implementation Use Volume Descriptor. Information in LVInfo3 is generally used to identify the contact information for the medium. The maximum length of the string speci- fied is 35 bytes. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: special Specify special as the physical disk slice, for example, /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s6. The device can not be on a remote machine. fsname Specify fsname as the mount point, (for example, root, u1, and so forth), of the file system. volume Specify volume as the physical volume name. If none of the options (fsname, volume, specific_options) is specified, labelit prints the current values of fsname, volume, LVInfo1, LVInfo2 and LVInfo3. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWudf | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
labelit(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 31 Oct 2000 labelit_udfs(1M)