Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX make a recovery CD/DVD - system has no writable devices Post 302136326 by stevek007 on Monday 17th of September 2007 06:08:30 AM
Old 09-17-2007
make a recovery CD/DVD - system has no writable devices

Hi,

Has anyone please got some advise as to how I can make a CD/DVD on an AIX 5.3 system so that it can be fully recoverd just by inserting the backed up system.

The system that I need to recover has no writable devices, not even a tape drive (it wasn't specified by me btw).

I am trying to use mksysb but am unsure if it will re-create the LVM layout as well. I want this system to be fool-proof so that the non-unix users at the remote site can use the recovery system.

Is this possible ??

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Creating A Make Recovery Tape

A customer called me and stated that when they created a make recovery tape for their hp-ux 9000/770, it wiped out three of their volume groups from the lvmtab, fstab, /dev directory(all associated files). I didn't believe them until I conducted a tech assist. I restored their system by recreating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spawarrior
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

make recovery tape for solaris

Hello All I am need of amke recover tape for solaris.Could anybody tell me how do i create a make recovery tape for solaris.I am on sun-solaris 2.8 regards Hrishy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

IGNITE / Make recovery

Hi, Currently, we are doing make recovery in our servers but dds tape drive of 1 of our servers is not working. I suppose to use external dds tape drive but the problem is that there is no slot from the server for the scsi type external dds device. Is it possible to use drives from other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tris
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make a FreeBSD hdd writable from WinXP?

Hey, I was wondering how I can write/edit files on my FreeBSD hdd from windows XP. I specifically need to fix a change I made to /boot/defaults/loader.conf that made it impossible to boot into my FreeBSD hdd. It's a simple fix, but since I can't boot into FreeBSD, I have to fix it from my Windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xandor
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem controlling devices (DVD)

Hi, I have a problem controlling devices on my iMac. The internal DVD is no longer working. Therefore I have bought a new external DVD, but some programs use the internal by default. Since iMac, runs UNIX beneath the Mac OS X, I hope to do some magic, by unmounting the internal DVD and put... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASL123
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

How to control devices (DVD) ??

Hi, I have a problem controlling devices on my iMac. The internal DVD is no longer working. Therefore I have bought a new external DVD, but some programs use the internal by default (Boot Camp for instance). Since iMac, runs UNIX beneath the Mac OS X, I hope to do some magic, by unmounting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ASL123
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Lpadmin(1M) rejects devices writable by lp

When we executed a lpadmin command, the following error was output. # lpadmin -phsaprinter -v/home/hoge/lpfile -mrmodel -ocmrcmodel -osmrsmodel -ormhsaprinter -orphsaprinter lpadmin: can't access file "/home/hoge/lpfile" /home/hoge/lpfile is the file other user made. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhurtripathi
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

To make an ftp server writable

I want to implement an FTP server on RHEL 5.8 system where the users can upload files either from RHEL or Windows systems but am not able to copy files to it from a browser session. For eg. URL - ftp://10.101.17.80/incoming I want to copy files from to it from my Windows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
3 Replies
TAPEINFO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       TAPEINFO(1)

NAME
tapeinfo - report SCSI tape device info SYNOPSIS
tapeinfo -f <scsi-generic-device> DESCRIPTION
The tapeinfo command reads various information from SCSI tape drives that is not generally available via most vendors' tape drivers. It issues raw commands directly to the tape drive, using either the operating system's SCSI generic device ( e.g. /dev/sg0 on Linux, /dev/pass0 on FreeBSD) or the raw SCSI I/O ioctl on a tape device on some operating systems. One good time to use 'tapeinfo' is immediately after a tape i/o operation has failed. On tape drives that support HP's 'tapealert' API, 'tapeinfo' will report a more exact description of what went wrong. Do be aware that 'tapeinfo' is not a substitute for your operating system's own 'mt' or similar tape driver control program. It is intended to supplement, not replace, programs like 'mt' that access your operating system's tape driver in order to report or set information. OPTIONS
The first argument, given following -f , is the SCSI generic device corresponding to your tape drive. Consult your operating system's doc- umentation for more information (for example, under Linux these are generally start at /dev/sg0 under FreeBSD these start at /dev/pass0). Under FreeBSD, 'camcontrol devlist' will tell you what SCSI devices you have, along with which 'pass' device controls them. Under Linux, "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" will tell you what SCSI devices you have. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
This program has only been tested on Linux with a limited number of tape drives (HP DDS4, Seagate AIT). AVAILABILITY
tapeinfo is currently being maintained by Robert Nelson <robertnelson@users.sourceforge.net> as part of the 'mtx' suite of programs. The 'mtx' home page is http://mtx.sourceforge.net and the actual code is currently available there and via SVN from http://source- forge.net/projects/mtx. SEE ALSO
mt(1),mtx(1),scsitape(1),scsieject(1),loaderinfo(1) TAPEINFO1.0 TAPEINFO(1)