Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Kernel panic : Fatal exception Post 302136225 by cassj on Sunday 16th of September 2007 01:23:02 PM
Old 09-16-2007
Assuming that your OS is toasted, you could try booting from a Rescue CD such as Main Page - SystemRescueCd and that will give you access to your system at least.

Since you're running RHEL3, you may try contacting RedHat for support. According to their website they offer maintenance support for RHEL3 through 2010. See below (source: redhat.com | RHEL Errata Support Policy)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux (version 3):

Including Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES, Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS, and Red Hat Desktop

General Availability: Oct 23, 2003
Full Support (including hardware updates): Oct 23, 2003 -- April 30, 2006
Deployment Support: May 1, 2006 -- Jun 30, 2007
Maintenance Support: Jul 1, 2007 -- Oct 31, 2010

Last edited by cassj; 09-16-2007 at 06:00 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RH 7.3 Kernel Panic.

I've installed rh 7.3 a fewday ago and I'm trying to boot it and I get this" Kernel panic: no init found. try passing init=options to kernel" ????? What do I do. Thanks. F,Ruiz. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruizf
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kernel panic

hello :-) I have one problem with my LiLO... I installed PLD Linux on my computer but when it boots, the last thing I can see is: request_module Root fs not mounted VFS: Cannot open root device 03:01 Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01 and the system stops :-( what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgas
1 Replies

3. Linux

kernel panic

I have compiled kernel version 2.6.12 in my linux box mandrake 10.1. I have followed www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html instructions. I have copied .config file from /usr/src/linux and lightly modified it (only the processor type) by xconfig. I have compiled the source and modules.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davide71
3 Replies

4. Linux

Kernel panic - not syncing: cannot execute a PAE-enabled kernel on PAE-less CPU

ok so I just installed fedora core 6 on my dell inspiron 700m and I go to boot into linux and I get this error. Has anyone seen this before? I also had XP Pro and Vista installed on this pc prior to putting fedora core 6 on the machine. I'm trying to setup a triple boot system. Please Help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave043
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FATAL:exception occured with pthread_exit()

We had written an application in which we create worker thread. So the main thread will create the worker thread. After some time the child thread(Worker thread) will call pthread_exit(). This function was written in try{} and there occured an Exception and is handled in catch(...)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: platso
0 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

kernel panic-not syncing:fatal exception while booting

Hi ALL, I am getting error.. kernal panic-not syncing:fatal exception while booting. Please help me.. Thanks Jack (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack00423
7 Replies

7. Solaris

can any body tell me what is the difference between server panic and fatal error.

HI friends can any body tell me what is the difference between server panic and fatal error. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Kernel Panic Error

Hi Guys, I'm working with a down RedHat Server. Whenever the server tries to boot, there's an error stating: Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. In addition to this, the "Caps Lock" and "Scroll Lock" lights start flashing. The server doesn't boot pass this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what does the kernel panic mean?

Hi, all: How should I obtain the reason of kernel panic? How should I debug the program which result in a kernel panic? What can I get from the panic information? li, kunlun (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liklstar
3 Replies

10. SCO

Kernel Panic

Hello when i booting my SCO Server I become this Message PLS can anyone help me? Cheers Christoph (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cga
1 Replies
Fatal(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						Fatal(3pm)

NAME
Fatal - Replace functions with equivalents which succeed or die SYNOPSIS
use Fatal qw(open close); open(my $fh, "<", $filename); # No need to check errors! use File::Copy qw(move); use Fatal qw(move); move($file1, $file2); # No need to check errors! sub juggle { . . . } Fatal->import('juggle'); BEST PRACTICE
Fatal has been obsoleted by the new autodie pragma. Please use autodie in preference to "Fatal". autodie supports lexical scoping, throws real exception objects, and provides much nicer error messages. The use of ":void" with Fatal is discouraged. DESCRIPTION
"Fatal" provides a way to conveniently replace functions which normally return a false value when they fail with equivalents which raise exceptions if they are not successful. This lets you use these functions without having to test their return values explicitly on each call. Exceptions can be caught using "eval{}". See perlfunc and perlvar for details. The do-or-die equivalents are set up simply by calling Fatal's "import" routine, passing it the names of the functions to be replaced. You may wrap both user-defined functions and overridable CORE operators (except "exec", "system", "print", or any other built-in that cannot be expressed via prototypes) in this way. If the symbol ":void" appears in the import list, then functions named later in that import list raise an exception only when these are called in void context--that is, when their return values are ignored. For example use Fatal qw/:void open close/; # properly checked, so no exception raised on error if (not open(my $fh, '<', '/bogotic') { warn "Can't open /bogotic: $!"; } # not checked, so error raises an exception close FH; The use of ":void" is discouraged, as it can result in exceptions not being thrown if you accidentally call a method without void context. Use autodie instead if you need to be able to disable autodying/Fatal behaviour for a small block of code. DIAGNOSTICS
Bad subroutine name for Fatal: %s You've called "Fatal" with an argument that doesn't look like a subroutine name, nor a switch that this version of Fatal understands. %s is not a Perl subroutine You've asked "Fatal" to try and replace a subroutine which does not exist, or has not yet been defined. %s is neither a builtin, nor a Perl subroutine You've asked "Fatal" to replace a subroutine, but it's not a Perl built-in, and "Fatal" couldn't find it as a regular subroutine. It either doesn't exist or has not yet been defined. Cannot make the non-overridable %s fatal You've tried to use "Fatal" on a Perl built-in that can't be overridden, such as "print" or "system", which means that "Fatal" can't help you, although some other modules might. See the "SEE ALSO" section of this documentation. Internal error: %s You've found a bug in "Fatal". Please report it using the "perlbug" command. BUGS
"Fatal" clobbers the context in which a function is called and always makes it a scalar context, except when the ":void" tag is used. This problem does not exist in autodie. "Used only once" warnings can be generated when "autodie" or "Fatal" is used with package filehandles (eg, "FILE"). It's strongly recommended you use scalar filehandles instead. AUTHOR
Original module by Lionel Cons (CERN). Prototype updates by Ilya Zakharevich <ilya@math.ohio-state.edu>. autodie support, bugfixes, extended diagnostics, "system" support, and major overhauling by Paul Fenwick <pjf@perltraining.com.au> LICENSE
This module is free software, you may distribute it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
autodie for a nicer way to use lexical Fatal. IPC::System::Simple for a similar idea for calls to "system()" and backticks. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-26 Fatal(3pm)