Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl progress bar dialog
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl progress bar dialog Post 302136175 by cbkihong on Saturday 15th of September 2007 10:42:30 PM
Old 09-15-2007
This is an example. You need to install Term::ReadKey module from CPAN before you can run it.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

$| = 1;

my $steps = 50;
my $columns = &getTerminalSize()->[1];

for (my $i=1; $i<=$steps; $i++) {
    my $percent = ($i/$steps*100);
    my $pbwidth = $columns-10;
    my $numhashes = ($i/$steps*$pbwidth);
    printf("\r% -${pbwidth}s% 10s", '#' x $numhashes, "[ " . $percent . "% ]");
    sleep 1;
}

sub getTerminalSize {
    use Term::ReadKey;
    my ($w, $h) = GetTerminalSize(STDOUT);
    if (!defined $w || !defined $h) {
        die "Cannot determine terminal size!";
    }
    return [$h, $w];
}

Output looks like this:
Code:
#########                                                                [ 14% ]

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

progress bar

Hi all, I want to print # like that in a progress bar.. For e.g We can notice that during installation ... but,how to do that? Thnx, sakthi. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthi.abdullah
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to have a cp progress bar?

Hi all, This is a reformed post to my earlier ones!!!!!! I would like to know how to include a progress bar while using the cp... I am copying a few huge files from cdrom but am unable to figure out ,how to give a progress bar!!!!! I checked out other sites as well,but the issue here is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Progress bar

Hi friends, how can I show a progress bar for any running process in the shell script. For example when I am copying or compressing a file. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

progress bar

hi all, in shell script (ksh), how do i write a progress bar ?? i have a script which searches files and while its searching i am currently printing out "." and if it finds what its searching for the script prints out the name of the file e.g .................. firstFile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Progress Bar in Perl for UNIX

Hi Programmers, I just wrote a small script to print the percent complete. This maybe useful for someone! #!/usr/local/bin/perl # Total from which percentage will be calculated $cnt = 16; $|=1; for($i=0;$i<$cnt;$i++) { # Calculate Percentage $percent = ($i/$cnt)*100; (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hifake
13 Replies

6. Programming

A progress bar in C

Hello, it's me again...:eek: I need to create a progress bar in C, but i have no idea on how to do it. i want it to output something like this: Progress: 58% But i can't get it to work. Could you please post an example progress bar written in ANSI C? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Progress bar for cp

I'm trying to use this code to get a progress bar for cp: "Can you get cp to give a progress bar like wget?" But I'm getting these errors: stat: illegal option -- c usage: stat awk: division by zero input record number 1, file source line number 4 I'm using Mac OS X 10.6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Progress BAR

Looking for a solution to why my progress bar not working My code print "STARTED:\n "; my $pdf = CAM::PDF->new('XYZ.pdf') or die $CAM::PDF::errstr; print STDOUT "Processing File: "; open (FILE, ">bill_data.txt") || die "Unable to save Bill_data.txt file"; for my $pagenum (1 ..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Progress bar

Hi Experts; Im in the process of writing a shell script for enabling an IT operations to run archiving.We use netbackup. The script is complete, though there is one bit that i need help on. Im trying to have a progess bar for the procedure.I have gone through the man page of the command in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
5 Replies
CPAN(1) 						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						   CPAN(1)

NAME
cpan - easily interact with CPAN from the command line SYNOPSIS
# with arguments and no switches, installs specified modules cpan module_name [ module_name ... ] # with switches, installs modules with extra behavior cpan [-cfimt] module_name [ module_name ... ] # without arguments, starts CPAN.pm shell cpan # without arguments, but some switches cpan [-ahrvACDLO] DESCRIPTION
This script provides a command interface (not a shell) to CPAN. At the moment it uses CPAN.pm to do the work, but it is not a one-shot com- mand runner for CPAN.pm. Meta Options These options are mutually exclusive, and the script processes them in this order: [hvCAar]. Once the script finds one, it ignores the others, and then exits after it finishes the task. The script ignores any other command line options. -a Creates the CPAN.pm autobundle with CPAN::Shell->autobundle. -A module [ module ... ] Shows the primary maintainers for the specified modules -C module [ module ... ] Show the "Changes" files for the specified modules -D module [ module ... ] Show the module details. This prints one line for each out-of-date module (meaning, modules locally installed but have newer versions on CPAN). Each line has three columns: module name, local version, and CPAN version. -L author [ author ... ] List the modules by the specified authors. -h Prints a help message. -O Show the out-of-date modules. -r Recompiles dynamically loaded modules with CPAN::Shell->recompile. -v Print the script version and CPAN.pm version. Module options These options are mutually exclusive, and the script processes them in alphabetical order. It only processes the first one it finds. c Runs a `make clean` in the specified module's directories. f Forces the specified action, when it normally would have failed. i Installed the specified modules. m Makes the specified modules. t Runs a `make test` on the specified modules. Examples # print a help message cpan -h # print the version numbers cpan -v # create an autobundle cpan -a # recompile modules cpan -r # install modules ( sole -i is optional ) cpan -i Netscape::Booksmarks Business::ISBN # force install modules ( must use -i ) cpan -fi CGI::Minimal URI TO DO
BUGS
* none noted SEE ALSO
Most behaviour, including environment variables and configuration, comes directly from CPAN.pm. SOURCE AVAILABILITY
This source is part of a SourceForge project which always has the latest sources in CVS, as well as all of the previous releases. http://sourceforge.net/projects/brian-d-foy/ If, for some reason, I disappear from the world, one of the other members of the project can shepherd this module appropriately. CREDITS
Japheth Cleaver added the bits to allow a forced install (-f). Jim Brandt suggest and provided the initial implementation for the up-to-date and Changes features. Adam Kennedy pointed out that exit() causes problems on Windows where this script ends up with a .bat extension AUTHOR
brian d foy, "<bdfoy@cpan.org>" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2001-2006, brian d foy, All Rights Reserved. You may redistribute this under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.9 2009-04-13 CPAN(1)