Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Moving Completely Transfered files Post 302136059 by ajcannon on Friday 14th of September 2007 09:56:01 AM
Old 09-14-2007
Knowing if a file has finished xferring

There may well be much more elegant ways of doing this but I have done this in the dim and distant past by simply looking at the files over a period of time - say one minute - and if the mtime and size have not changed then you can be pretty well sure the transfer has finished.

Possibly a better way would be to identify the process doing the transfer (via its pid via ps) and if/when the process finishes assume the transfer is complete.

*yet* another way would be to get the sending server to transfer a zero length 'flag' file when the transfer has finished. when you see the existance of the flag file you know the transfer has finished.

so

on server2
start send of filename..................send ends (this may take a while)
send finename.flag (0 length - this will take a very short time)

on server1 ensure you remove the flag files as you process the transfered files

Hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving between vi files

would any one please tell me which keys we used between opened vi files backward and forward Thanks Ayah (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aya_r
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp + expect: disconnection & restart removes already transfered data.

I have an ftp statement that when it restarts, it will write over the top of the file at the other end, rather than append to the file part sitting at the destination. This is a problem because the flaky connection fails so regularly that the 2GB file I try to transfer will never complete. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupert160
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving the files in a.txt files to a different directory

HI All, I am coding a shell script which will pick all the .csv files in a particular directoryand write it in to a .txt file, this .txt file i will use as a source in datastage for processing. now after the processing is done I have to move and archive all the files in the .txt file to a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhasri_2020
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving Multiple files to destination files

I am running a code like this foreach list ($tmp) mv *_${list}.txt ${chart}_${list}.txt #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a directory mv *_${list}.doc ${chart}_${list}.doc #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help creating a script to FTP files to a server and then delete the files that were transfered.

I am trying to FTP files to a Windows server through my Linux machine. I have setup the file transfer with no problems but am having problem deleting those files from the Linux box. My current non-working solution is below. Any ideas, anyone?? :wall: Please be gentle, I'm fairly new to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmalfhs
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with wc -l results = 1 then moving the files to another folder

Hi guys can you please help me with a script to find files with one row/1 line of content then move the file to another directory my script below runs but nothing happens to the files....Alternatively Ca I get a script to find the *.csv files with "wc -1" results = 1 then create a list of those... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dj Moi
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files..

Selected directories on our system generate alerts when they exceed 60% of the disk space so I have used gzip to make the files smaller on one of the directories in question (AdminServer logs). I want to move these to another directory what is the best way to make this happen? Thanks.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nosuchluck
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving Files to VM

Hi guys, i need to test a script on my RedHat which it's mounted on a VirtualBox (oracle VM). So i need to copy a directory with subdirectories, from a remote host to my VM. I'd like to do that within cmd not with program like Filezilla or something like that. Any idea please? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
4 Replies

9. AIX

Moving Hidden files to normal files

I have a bunch of hidden files in a directory in AIX. I would like to move these hidden files as regular files to another directory. Say i have the following files in directory /x .test~1234~567 .report~5678~123 .find~9876~576 i would like to move them to directory /y as test~1234~567... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: umesh.narain
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Csh doesn't source init files completely

I have a strange problem with (t)csh since the latest opensuse/tumbleweed upgrade. csh and tcsh don't source the init files completely. They seem to terminate after sourcing the first nested file. They process the code in /etc/csh.cshrc until they find a command like source... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heiko123
3 Replies
slack(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  slack(8)

NAME
slack - Sysadmin's lazy autoconfiguration kit SYNOPSIS
slack [option ...] [role ...] DESCRIPTION
slack is a master command which coordinates the activities of its backends, which variously: o determine the list of roles to be installed on this server o create a local cached copy of the role files from the central repository o merge file trees from subroles into a single, unified tree o install files onto the local filesystem o run scripts before and after installation Options you give to slack will be generally passed along to the backends where relevant. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print a usage statement. --version Print the version and exit. -v, --verbose Increase verbosity. Can be specified multiple times. --quiet Don't be verbose (Overrides previous uses of --verbose). -C, --config FILE Use the specfied FILE for configuration instead of the default, /etc/slack.conf. -s, --source DIR Source directory for slack files -e, --rsh COMMAND Remote shell for rsync -c, --cache DIR Local cache directory for slack files -t, --stage DIR Local staging directory for slack files -r, --root DIR Root destination for slack files --no-sync Skip the slack-sync step (useful if you're pushing stuff into the CACHE outside slack). --no-files Don't install any files in ROOT, but tell rsync to print what it would do. --no-scripts Don't run scripts -n, --dry-run Same as --no-files --no-scripts (CACHE, STAGE will still be updated) --role-list Role list for slack-getroles(8). -b, --backup Make backups of existing files in ROOT that are overwritten. This option defaults to on if it is not set to 0 in a config file or disabled with --nobackup on the command line. --backup-dir Put backups from the --backup option into this directory. -H, --hostname HOST Pretend to be running on HOST, instead of the name given by gethostname(2). --preview MODE Do a diff of scripts and files before running them. MODE can be one of 'simple' or 'prompt' (See PREVIEW MODES, below). --diff PROG Use this diff program for previews. --sleep TIME Randomly sleep between 1 and TIME seconds before starting operations. Useful in crontabs. PREVIEW MODES
Preview functionality is new in slack 0.14.0. I haven't quite worked out how things will work, so this usage is somewhat subject to change in future versions. I thought I would try it this way and see how people like it. In 'simple' mode, after syncing and staging the files directory, slack will present a diff of the files and scripts. In this mode, slack will not run the preinstall or fixfiles scripts, and because of this, it may provide some false output about permissions changes to files. In 'prompt' mode, after syncing and staging the files directory, slack will diff the script directory. If there are differences, slack will present them to you and ask you if you want to continue. If you say no, it will exit. If you say yes, it will stage the scripts directory, run the preinstall and fixfiles scripts, and then diff the files in the stage with those in the root. If there are differences, slack will present them to you and ask you if you want to continue. If you say no, it will exit. If you say yes, it will install the files and run the postinstall script. So, the 'simple' mode is easy to use, and will be accurate if you don't use fixfiles. The 'prompt' mode will be accurate if you use fix- files, but requires some interaction. Why can't we just have one mode that works with fixfiles and requires no interaction? Well, that would require slack to understand what your free-form fixfiles executable was going to do, which would either require some kind of universe simulator or would require you to write your fixfiles in a less free-form way, which would make slack less like slack. EXAMPLES
To install all the roles configured in the role list for a server: slack To install a specific role: slack rolename To test a new role before checking in the changes: slack --source user@workstation:/home/user/.../slack rolename To avoid killing your master server when calling from cron: slack --sleep 3600 FILES
/etc/slack.conf SEE ALSO
slack.conf(5), rsync(1) Administrative commands 2004-10-22 slack(8)